1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STTLO - Cones & candyshots 28.6

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jipa, 12 Feb 2006.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

First of all I'd like to say this project WILL take some time. That's because it's winter and I can't paint virtually anything before it's warm enought outdoors. Dunno if that's bad thing, atleast I have time to do this one well :D

I found my last project, NAAC, way too oversized. So I trashed it and got few cases for free. So computer now has case, I don't have to worry about that like during last mod, which definitely is good thing.

And now to the mod itself. This is _the_ case.

[​IMG]

It's pretty old, and has PSU mounted next to the mobo instead over it.

[​IMG]

It looks pretty cheesy as there's holes everywhere. I may have to reinforce it a bit from some places...

And here's the actual plans! Everybody loves Skechup, am I right? :rock: There are no HDD's in these pics, but they'll possibly be mounted down there with the PSU.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, PSU will be moved downstairs. It'll block all PCI-slots but that's no problem as my mobo has everything integrated. It'll be tight fit with VGA-cooler but I measured it and it should fit.

Case will be separated to two pieces with acryl/aluminum/I'll get there something. That's because of the wires. I hate seeing them in window.

I hope to get some comments from you! Discussion

Last edited: 28 Jun 2006
  2. Jipa

Project: STTLO

STTLO

Any comments? :)

3. Jipa

And here's how I officially started the project :)

Last saturday my nibblers finally arrived. It's a bit of a story how difficult it is to find these things from Finland. I also found it totally impossible to found these from Rovaniemi so I had to order them from Biltema :wallbash:

[​IMG]

I suggest everyone to use gloves with these things, they hurt my finger :waah:

And here's finished hole with test-fan installed

[​IMG]

As you can see, I managed to follow the line pretty nicely with nibblers. My first ever hole-nibbling so I'm pretty happy. These could be the ultimate hole-making-tool ever :naughty:

Last edited: 17 May 2006
  4. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Looks like this case got some potential ;) you should have use bolts like this or lovely umbraco screws for the fan ;)

I liked your Sketches, so what color are you gonna paint it in?

5. Jipa

That fan is there just temporarily, I'll figure out nice way to mount it, don't worry.

Paint is kinda secret for now ;) You'll see it... or not.

6. Jipa

at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to mount the hdd's. They're pretty annoing things to mount as don't want to end up having hot hdd's.

7. Jipa

Waiting for aluminium to arrive.. After getting some I'll be able to think how to mount PSU and so. I want to keep mobo-tray functional which adds a bit problems here and there.

8. Jipa

My first ever led-fans arrived yesterday :) Got them from a friend of me for pretty much free... 2* 80mm Green. I'm still waiting for the goddamn aluminum...

9. Jipa

Did a bit of something today..

Here's THE Nibbler and a glove. Remember the glove, it really IS needed when nibling.

[​IMG]

And here's how it turned out. I don't actually know why I did that and how it's gonna end up, but I hope we'll see :)

[​IMG]

While nibbling I got an idea of how the roof might look when ready.. It just takes some time and you'll see it too :naughty:

EDIT: the line doesn't look too straight in the pic.. That's because it isn't straight at all :D but no worries, Jipa has a plan!

10. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

looking forward to following this project

11. Jipa

I've been a bit ill for the last days but I hope I'll make some progress during this weekend. There's a slightest change of getting finally some aluminum tomorrow :D

12. Jipa

Wohoo I got few pieces of perforated aluminium \o/.. But no solid stuff yet... I don't really know where I'll get it nomore.

13. Jipa

I got 8meters of aluminium profiles. L, I and square tube :naughty:

Tomorrow possibly some sheetaluminium too.

It's +13c here in Rovaniemi and rather summery :rock:

14. Jipa

Any opinions about the new sketch?

Last edited: 29 Apr 2006
  15. Jipa

[​IMG]

Here's newer sketch. Made in school so no sketchup yet. :sigh: I finally got some aluminium and am theoretically ready to continue ;)

16. Jipa

Hi again. It's been a while but the project is still alive :rock:

Here's some cardboard-testings. It'll be quite tight fit with graphic card cooler but I really hope It'll fit.

[​IMG]

Under the cardboard there's enought space for two hdds. I just have to figure out how they are gonna lay there.... It'd be easy to just slam them there but I'd like to see them both getting enought airflow.

[​IMG]

Cutting space for the PSU led to a rather huge problem. I'll somehow have to support this corner of case without jamming mobo-tray. I want to keep it functional. I'll also have to support mobo-tray as it bends too easily.

[​IMG]

And here's new window-shape. After taking the pic I had an idea and draw it in (red line). What do you think, red or blue?

[​IMG]

That's all for now. I finally caught a pile of aluminium :rock:

And oh. BE CAREFUL when modding.

[​IMG]

17. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I like the window drawed with a blue line.

18. Jipa

IMO it somehow looks stupid :( There's only 30degree angles except for that one...

19. Jipa

It's been a while but I'm back. This project is not dead, it's just in low-speed-progress-mode :p I've found it's terrible pain in the a$$ to fit two HDD's in original design so I sketched this:

[​IMG]

pros: more space for HDD's and possibility to use PCI-cards

cons: hmm.. err... extra powercord needed. And ... ummh.. nothing.

EDIT: Forgot the offtopic-image of the post ;)

[​IMG]

about two squaremeters of CoD2 :rock:

20. Jipa

Here's the newest plan.

[​IMG]

that's optimal design in terms of space for hdds. I don't like the looks too much but there just isn't enought room to think only how it looks.

And here's other thing I did. It's the fake-PSU.

1mm aluminium, I wet sanded it at 600 grit, didn't polish yet as I don't know if I'll polish or paint it.

[​IMG]

And here's third thing.. A bit offtopic maybe :naughty:

[​IMG]

It's a god damn sparking sander made out of old HDD and some sand paper :D Did that in 5 minutes and it really works! I sharpened a bolt to be used as center punch with aluminium! :clap:

PS: few words about this project's future.. My summer holiday begins in few days....... BUT it doesn't mean more time to mod as my summer works begin in few days plus 1. It'll last two weeks and I don't know if I'll make anything to this during work. Anyway I've decided to pull this throught and get this case to Assembly'06 which is the absolute deadline.

comments are always welcome.