1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: WaterboY - update 19/2/06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Quasimodder, 21 Apr 2005.

1. Quasimodder

Quasimodder What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This took ages to do...and it was a heartstopping experience since this was my last sheet of mesh...one mistake is all it takes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeved all the cables....this LCD can control 4 fans and use up to 40 DOW temp probes..tres cool

[​IMG]

Some blingety bling preview...

2. Quasimodder

Ok I'm resurrecting this thread...

Basically the project has the basics finished and I'm using it as my daily case.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Now what has been done is the following -

Front Bezel is finished, with CFA633 LCD on the front controlling power on/off,
    motorized up/down sliding door
    completely removed front intake vent, for better airflow, removed hdd cage.
    2 side mounted front usb ports
    PSU has been spray painted blue-purple with a UV reactive coating
    all cables (including internal usb and fan headers) have been sleeved blue and PSU connectors changed to UV reactive ones.
    2 uv cold cathodes, top and bottom
    GPU (ATI9800 SE) has a custom passive cooling system - an ibm laptop heatpipe heatsink with additional GPU heatsink on epoxied on top.
    The system works quite happily with two slow 120mm fans on the cpu and exhaust and a superbly quiet seasonic tornado PSU. CPU is barton 2500 @ stock.

Now what I wanted to do was install this:
    [​IMG]
    reservoir in the back with a BIX on the front and a Laing DDC as a pump.
    All worked nicely in the beginning until I got a leak from my CPU block and the GPU nearly died. Then the pump died, apparently because of a combination of anti-freeze and uv reactive dye, which is a shame cause the system was running at 2550Mhz...

3. Quasimodder

Ok so two days ago I said to myself - you have all this great watercooling stuff lying aroud, are you going to give up so easily?

Well no siree...I took apart the reservoir/rad, pump, tubing, cpu waterblock and cleaned them thouroughly (last time a combination of anti corrosive radiator fluid and Forzencpu's uv reactive dye caused all parts to be coated with a thin layer of blue "gunk" which had to be rinsed and scraped off with hot water..hours of work.

Now after doing some research about the the pump (a Laing DDC) I discovered I wasn't the only one who was having problems at startup, and after setting up a test loop on my desk it did indeed fail to start a few times, resolvable by tapping it with a screwdriver. This behavior gradually faded after cleaning the pump thoroughly and rinsing the cooling loop of even the most minute particles, but I'm still suspicious of it...

In this pic you can see the parts already fitted to the case, waterblocks on CPU and northbridge.
    [​IMG]

4. Quasimodder

So to recap, there's a BI Pro on the front behind the 120 mm fan (cut out that pesky restrictive intake) and a reservoir/rad bolted to the back.

Here you can see the mechanism for the motorized door.
    Now I had some, err..rust troubles with MNPCtechs modders mesh (my fault entirely for being lazy cuz I knew about this in advance) so while I was dismantling the compy I also took off the meshes, removed rust with a dremel metal brush (these things are deadly ..even with gloves I got a few metal hairs embedded in my hand), gave them two coats of metal laquer and sprayed them with automotive silver.

Since the door is basically a cd-rom drive, i connected an IDE cable from the control board to the mobo so that instead of manually closing a circuit to operate it the thing shows up as a cd-rom drive (I actually had doubts about this working but surprisingly it did) and using a small program I just press F11 to open/close it.
    [​IMG]

5. Quasimodder

[​IMG]
    Watercooling installed and running. The alignment isn't perfect on the door since it isn't closed all the way with thumbscrews in this pic. Incidentally, I replaced all screws in the back, including on the PSU with purple anodized thumbscrews.
    Currently the system is running a barton mobile XP 2500 @ 2350Mhz....temps waver around the 35-40 mark at full load.