1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HighSpeed PC Tech Station

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 2 Mar 2006.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I prefer the DIY sollutions people have come up with tbh, probably cost no more than £30 to make and assemble yourself and thats what they should be selling this kit for. £75/£110 is far too much considering what it is.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

I had to blur out some stuff, but this is most of my test area - there's another bench behind me that I sometimes use too.

[​IMG]

:naughty:

3. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Another couple of suggestions for the people at Highspeed. The fans should probably angle downwards a bit - it looks like they just blow air over the top of the motherboard, completely missing all the northbridge and VRM heatsinks that are gently toasting themselves. I could be wrong though :)

And how about mountings for anti-static wriststraps etc? And maybe a couple of antistatic trays to throw the bits in while you're testing others? And while they're at it, things like reusable zip ties or velcro cable ties would be useful for keeping cables out of the way.

Rethink the layout, throw in some well thought out freebies and drop the price by £30 and it might start to look like better value.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

They really didn't get that one quite right did they. In fact reading the review inspired me to see if I could manage one in 5mins.

One motherboard tray, PSU and an Ikead TC/video stand thing and you're up andr unning.

Now that ikea stand is probably ~£5 and just the right depth if you have a standard ATX tray, (that one is bigger from my GW802) Then find the cheapset ATX case you can and a hacksaw to chop out the mobo tray, and the drive bays if you need them. All it needs an couple of woodsrcews and drilling and you should have it all shipshape.

In fact I left a horrible old case with a removable tray in my in-laws attic, which might just be destined for this purpose.

[​IMG]
    http://www.veryrisky.co.uk/webimages/diycase2.jpg
    http://www.veryrisky.co.uk/webimages/diycase3.jpg
    http://www.veryrisky.co.uk/webimages/diycase4.jpg

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The truth, exposed

[​IMG]

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

If he has so much, he could give me some! :naughty:
    anyway, i really dont like the rig. its bad quality and stupid placement of parts. and all that for just 100 bucks? a bargain!

7. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

best picture evar!

8. ARM

ARM Minimodder

9. highspeedpc

highspeedpc What's a Dremel?

Geoff was kind enough to invite me to respond to his review. I should probably start a new thread with this, but copied below is my initial response and I've posted it here for your amusement. There's lots of good suggestions and design ideas here and I'm grateful for the discussion. My comments below are lengthy but just scratch the surface of what can be said so I'll try to respond to any questions you guys have as time allows.

Thanks! Scott @ highspeedpc.com

"Let me begin by stating that we stand by our product 100% and if any customer has issue with it, whether purchased directly though us or through a reseller, we won't stop until the problem is solved and the customer is happy. If there is anyone reading this that has purchased a Tech Station with a missing part or other problem (including assembly problems!) email support[at]highspeedpc.com right away.

Reading this review was disheartening to say the least, none of the previous reviews had problems like this. Graeme at www.kustompcs.co.uk is a great guy and I apologize to him for any inconvenience brought about from this.

To address the issue of missing parts and build quality. Our quality assurance has been stepped up and our current inventory is error free. The Tech Stations are built and packed by hand so occasionally human error comes in to the equation, each unit is essentially custom built. But our customer service is outstanding (read our ResellerRatings.com entries!) and we deal with problems and questions promptly. There's no doubt that the units reviewed here had a problem but this is the exception and not the rule.

A quick comment on pricing. The retail cost in the UK is hampered mainly by shipping expenses, these are heavy buggers. The US market is different since freight is not a problem. In general, the materials used in the Tech Stations are NOT cheap (neither is labor), and the prices of petroleum based materials (99% of the parts used) continue to rise. Despite this, and despite the fact that we have made many improvements and added new features (based on user/reviewer feedback), we have not increased our prices since the Tech Station's beginning almost two years ago. We do offer lower cost options and are considering switching materials to lighter, cheaper, less indestructive parts such as fiberboard. Remember also the Tech Station is made to last a lifetime and not just one system build. And Geoff, we buy all the parts in bulk and not at a hardware store.

I can't defend the design and functionality because it is what it is... either you get it or you don't. Don't fault the product for poor end user assembly, the instructions provide clear direction on how to get a proper fit. We do offer pre-assembled versions and unlimited support for those who need the help.

I understand that the Tech Station is not for everyone, it is a niche product and has it's place. Just like bit-tech readers we build and mod our PC's and the Tech Station was created to make this process a little more safe, secure and convenient. It's a work-in-progress and we rely on feedback to help make it better. Over the last year or so we've gotten lots of emails with suggestions for improvements and alternate designs. All the ideas that come in are saved and carefully considered and many of them have been put into action, such as taller vertical supports for easier access and extra drive rails (see our Accessories section).

We feel the current version 2.0 is very functional, but we're just getting started! Stay tuned for more changes and accessories in the future which include: a slide out mobo tray, revised non-slip top surface, removable top bench, mATX support, dust cover, Plexiglas side panels, separate RAID storage and a completely new line of benches. Remember we're a small but growing company doing mass production/wholesale/retail sales and even a minor change takes time. Of course we can make a variety of custom designs to meet specific design requirements.

The Tech Station project (patent pending) is taken very seriously and we have a lot invested in it. My personal goal is to give customers the best product and best support possible. Before you jump to conclusions inform yourself with facts and opinions from more than just one source. Constructive feedback is always welcomed.

Thank you for the consideration,

Scott A Brown
    Managing Director
    HighSpeed PC, LLC est. 1999
    http://highspeedpc.com

10. NoMercyGTP

NoMercyGTP What's a Dremel?

You know if you have too many graphics Cards, those of us with too few would graciously accept your refuse. lol. For some reason, I am new to bit-tech. I have trolled anand, Make, Gruntville, and the like, and am relly liking the way things are done here. Props to bit-tech and Geoff Richards, for saying it like it is. Only reviews like this will the products we want ever be made the way we want em.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wow, thanks for your input Scott :)

In all due respect though, you gave your "PC case replacement" product to a site dedicated to "PC case replacement" ;) so this is probably the toughest review you'll ever have to sit through since we're both modders and enthusiasts. As modders we're used to whacking stuff together like you've probably seen from the pictures in this thread.

Good luck with your future designs though :thumb: and I think we all appreciate your input and not going nuts about a "less than fantastic" review that a lot of other manufacturers might tend to do.

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The products will only get better if you tell the honest truth :)

13. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

14. Bilbo Fraggins

Bilbo Fraggins What's a Dremel?

15. customh

customh conflagration.

Not as ghetto as some-- i.e. mine but seriously an i-ghetto??? come on it has to be like socket 754 with an agp 4x card to be ghetto, that has an sli capable card in it.

heres mine
    [​IMG]

16. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

whenever your thinking of throwing away any cards give me a bell :hehe: :thumb:

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ghetto-ness just denotes how hacked together and crap looking it is. Yours is very ghetto cause youve just whacked a puter on a few bits of wood and plonked a fan on it. The hardware is irrelevent, it's how you use it that's the ghettoness.

18. customh

customh conflagration.

posh, thats not wood my friend, those are 2 miniblind boxes :D Also i just read what the HSPC guy said and im just curious if he saw our little part that said "pssst put the motherboard on top since we dont need easy access to peripherals like hard drvies, opticals or our psu. Those things should be on the bottom and the motherboard and stuff should be on top because thats what we tinker with and most other people too (i would think) Just my two cents.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2006
  19. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

You don't pay that sort of money for a work-in-progress product.

From what i can see it doesn't offer anything over just a bit of space on your desk (which is what i always seem to lack). It needs more features, like sliding mobo tray, and better build quality (less of this plastic please) before it's anything like a worthwhile product.

20. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Fatal flaw with motherboard ontop of liability tho.

Far more likely for accidental damage, or for something to fall onto open motherboard, finger in moving fan etc...

Tags: Add Tags