1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding psp screen in a pc? or even a DS touchscreen

Discussion in 'Modding' started by icarus, 3 Mar 2006.

1. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

hi all been looking around and ive found a fair few sites selling replacement PSP screens, and i was wondering.........
    Do you think they would be moddable to fit into a pc? :dremel:

Also and this is pushing the limmits but, the nintedo ds... well ive found a second-hand one that has two working screens (top and touchscreen bottom) but the rest of the console is broken and i can grab it for less than £20 but do you think this could be modded to work and still use the input from the touchscreen?

ideas on this would be ace as i have money and lots of time right now. :rock:

icarus

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

for £20+ ish price tag its better and easier to get a Ps1 screen and mod it for a pc.

3. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Nope, you need a driver board whish is part of tha console motherboard.
    I know cus ive just repaired a psp.

4. nphekted

nphekted What's a Dremel?

The only way I can think of is a Homebrew<>WiFi<>PC Driver setup. Probably more trouble than its worth (and it would require a working system).

5. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

what about the second idea? witht he Nintendo DS? does that still require the driver board? im wondering as you can buy tochscreens for standard pc's so would it be possible to cook up some software to actually use the screen and its touch util

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

@ probubly, but you would need to hack up one and know what you were doing.

7. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

well the one i can get hold of is only 20 so im not gona loose much if it doesnt work and still at the end of it i could sell the screens as repair parts couldnt i :)

8. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

You'll only be able to do it if you know a lot about electronics and writing drivers, and have schematics of some sort for the screen.

9. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

The answer really is no, you would have to be amazing at electronics, you will just get the screen and not know what to do with it. Just get a ps1 screen.

10. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

I think im right by saying this. Modding is about making something different, ive seen too many ps1 screen mods now and its getting to the point where it will no longer be seen as different. think how much cooler it would be to have say winamp setup on the DS touchscreen so all you had to do was touch the buttons to do things and the other DS screen displaying the Vis window.

Thats different to the standard ps1 screen mods, ive even seen kits now that do almost all the hard work for you wheres the skill in that? you cant say to someone "yeah i did all that had to work out how to get all the stuff to work"
    next you will see pre-made kits that sit in vacant drivebays

im just trying to come up with something different here

11. NiHiLiST

We understand you want to do something different, and it would be immensely cool, but it's realistically just not going to happen. If you have to ask questions on here about how to do it or if it's possible, then you simply don't have the knowledge to make it happen.

All we're doing is saving you from wasting your time and money trying. If you want to have a go then do, I'll eat my words if you pull it off and I'm sure everyone here would love to see it. You asked if people think they're moddable to be used with a PC, and people said no :)

12. tecguy

tecguy What's a Dremel?

How would you use a psp screen wouldn't it be to small??

13. NiHiLiST

I'm assuming he means as a secondary screen for Winamp visualisations, diagnostics or the like, rather than as his main monitor.

14. tecguy

tecguy What's a Dremel?

ohh c.

15. icarus

icarus What's a Dremel?

yeah hes got he idea :) ive been confering with several of the guys in my local IT shop about this and there hunting down something almost the same as the touch sensative panel on the DS and its rather simple. a graphics tablet that has the image your drawing, there adamant there available and it would be miles easyer to mod one to display winamp ect

well the DS idea as ive worked out by now is a bit hard to pull off with my knowledge. i could have asked people in my area to help with the identification of the electronic aspects and i could also have asked to help and write the code for a program but i think that would basically leave me with about 10% of the mod to call mine not really the idea

so im going to go with this option of using rthe gfx tablet may not be as amazing for colour as the ps1 screen but a ps1 isnt touchscreen

if i find the tablet ill post a link for people so they could also try the idea

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone capable of reverse engineering a Nintendo DS screen interface to a PC graphic card, and its touch screen interface as an input device, whether on Parallel or USB interface. You have no idea how complicated that gets.

There are plenty of 6" to 7" widesceen format (i.e. fits in two 5.25" bays) TFT touch screens however, which simply hook up to tha PC graphic card and USB port. Those screens aren't exactly cheap, but since Samurize has an option of "clickable" meters, you could simply design a Samurize interface which reacts to you poking the on-sceen "bottons" or meters.

That is the only real way to do it. Forget about PSP or Nintendo DS screens; they all have proprietary interfaces which are often tightly integrated in the circuits of the handheld. In the Nintendo I suspect the screen interface (and touch interface) are actually intergrated in the CPU chip. They are on the Gameboy.