1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Which 2.1 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hazza, 28 Feb 2006.

1. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Looking to get rid of my crappy, partially broken 2.0 Labtec speakers and get some reasonably decent 2.1 speakers. I've been told that I should be looking for Creative ones, but I dont know squat about speakers, so I was hoping someone could help? (maybe I haven't posted this in the right section, but I wasn't sure)

2. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

I've got a set of Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1's that are currently driven by my 76cm widescreen. Great sound with some decent bass. And it even comes with a dinky little remote control.

Oh and iLounge reckon they're pretty good for Ipods too :rock:

3. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Wow nice :D but a little expensive methinks :grr: I definetly have <£100 to spend, unfortunately. I'd looked at Creative Inspire T3030 and Creative I-Trigue T3330 but anybody know if these are any good? For around £50 I don't expect miracles, but as long as they aren't tinny, really quiet, or crap in any other way.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

5. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Yea they seem to have some strong praise! Couldnt find much technical stuff though. No SNR or RMS power ratings anywhere :miffed: oh well. I'm still holding out for any information on those Creative speakers, being as they are that much cheaper. I'm not entirely sure if speakers are something in which money buys quality, or money buys style :/

6. padair

padair Inebriated

7. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

they look pretty sound (sorry) to me! :thumb: cheers, they shall be ordered!

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Get audio stuff made by an audio company. You wouldn't buy a hard drive from Marantz now would you? :)

9. SensesFail

SensesFail Guest

I have those speakers. I don't think they sound all that great, but they definately are cheap and look decent. I suppose they are alright as computer speakers though, especially if you are just using onboard audio.

10. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

"They don't sound great" hmm. Just read your response as I was about to finalise the order lol. What'd you give 'em out of 10?

Very true, but audio companies seem to think it's ok for them to sell these same speakers for £15 more than Amazon :/ And seeing as they're only £25, Amazon is fine I rekon. If it was more though ...

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

12. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

If you have the opertunity to look in Richer Sounds and try and get the cheapest amp + bookshelf speakers you can and they'll still blow any PC speakers in that price range out of the window....

Something like Cambridge Audio A1 and Eltax Millenium Mini Speakers... Would come in at around £70 maybe, but you'll have hi-fi class audio then (maybe bottom of the road, but still)

13. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Yeh, Acoustic Energy make excellent speakers, I have the old Aego's and there fantastic. Got mine for £80 and many audio reviews by experts but them in best sub £300 catagory!

Well worth the spend, down with the rubbish Creative i-trigue and some of the logitech crud!

14. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Tempted though I was by the Acoustic Energy speakers, I've opted for the Logitech's, mainly because they were cheaper. Hadn't thought of getting hold of some plain hi-fi speakers, but too late now. £27 inc vat+postage was an attractive prospect, couldn't entirely convince myself to spend £80+ :blah: Should arrive on tuesday so I'll report back how they are. Thanks for the help everyone, uber appreciated :thumb:

15. SensesFail

SensesFail Guest

Just as a disclaimer, I got mine off an ebay store for life $30 and I think they were "refurbished"...that's also where I bought my mouse and that worked fine...:).

The only reason I say the speakers are mediocre is because it feels almost like the center channel audio isn't there. It almost feels like I'm listening to surround sound without the center channel, but not nearly that bad. (I'm not an idiot...I've checked every balance bar I could in windows and on the speakers themselves and the profile is set for desktop speakers).

It doesn't sound bad, it's just not high quality audio...what do you expect for $30 though? I don't want to sway you, because you'll probably be happy with the speakers. They get really loud without distortion and the bass is decent for it's size. I've never used another set of computer speakers. I used to use my receiver for sound, but my main speakers are off to my right so I got annoyed at being disoriented when playing FPS's.

16. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Ok that doesn't seem so bad, especially for £27. Like I say, I'll report back when they've arrived. Thanks again :)

17. hylian_231

hylian_231 What's a Dremel?

I have creative 2500 speakers, nice and black! It also has a small volume remote.

18. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

Creative are good and also offer good value for money, but i also hear the Altecs are suberb.

19. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

:thumb: these are great. only arrived about an hour ago! particularly good in games. sub is pretty damn powerful too! Sound seems quite sharp, especially for £27! Could do with being able to beef up the sattelites seperately from the sub, because it can be a bit overwhelming, but not a major complaint. Overall, well built and visually pleasing :) im satisfied. Just need to get away from goddamn AC97 audio now ...

20. customh

customh conflagration.

Good to know they are good, i have been looking at them because i am on a tight budget, so good news that they are decent. Just have to convince myself that i wont need anything else with the money i use to buy em.....*wishes to self i wasnt such a tightwad when i have something that works ok....(harman kardons that came with a dell in 1999 2.0 setup...)

Tags: