1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung announces 8GB music phone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 6 Mar 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Want!

4. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

The thing that impresses me the most is the file type support. Hardly anything supports Ogg Vorbis, despite it being a far superior file format. With the 2MP camera aside, it seems like they've put the best together to in what looks to be the best possible box. May be the only device I've seen thus far that properly puts the idea of "one for all" into practice. Otherwise, I generally agree with the article kiljoi just linked.

5. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Ogg doesnt matter too much, it might sound better but with 8gb you can just have high bit rate mp3s its not like your goin to run out of space in a hurry.

Bring on the 8gb smartphones I say, then you can install your own media players and codecs

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Nice! It plays oggs :rock:. Would absolutely love a phone like this, my w800i is pretty good but as an mp3 player 512MB isn't much, plus its file format limitations are annoying (I rip as FLAC or ogg as I'm a quality whore when it comes to music). Something like this would be awesome!

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

The kinda phone i would like next. I have an mp3 player and digital camera but can never be arsed to carry them round with me! After i have my wallet, ciggys, lighter and phone in my pockets i aint got room for nething else, so i want my phone to do everything that i might need.

Cameraphones are handy for taking random pics when u'r out, and having a music player also helps. I have a Nokia 7610 which has a nice mix, but the headphones suck, camera aint quite good enough and it's a bit bulky. So something like this looks good.

Will proberly get the Sony Ericsson W810i when it's out to tide me over till something like this is out and available as a free upgrade.

8. m4rk3d

m4rk3d Minimodder

As if there's not enough to drain battery life in cell-phones already, why not just stick a hard drive in there too?

All these things are nice and everything, but how peeved are you gonna be when you break down in the middle of nowhere and can't call for help because you were listening to music earlier and drained the battery?

I want my mobile to make phone calls, I've got a camera for taking pictures and an mp3 player for music. Unless they've discovered a way to get decent battery life with all bells and whistles runnng, count me out.

9. KriTip

KriTip What's a Dremel?

Nice storage, but... its a mini hard drive... its the reson i sold my mini for a nano, solid state storage is much tougher and up to rough treatment. Phones get knocked about all the time. Can you say bad sectors and skipping, and low battery life? Or am i being over paranoid?

Kristian

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You have to remember, though, almost nobody uses ogg's for that reason. WMA and AAC both offer better compression than MP3, but when given an obvious choice, everyone would rip to MP3 anyways (it's just that iTunes and WMP default to their own formats, the latter charging you for an mp3 encoder the last time I had the misfortune of dealing with it).

Still, no FLAC support, and I'll bet it doesn't do the protected AACs or WMAs. Which is the only reason most people would care about having their support. If it does, then the only concern I'd have is using the hard drive instead of a few large flash chips.

11. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I've got one an i300 (not the x version) which has a 3GB drive in it, and yeah there are issues with battery life. My one hope for this newer version is that they have managed to lower slim down the power requirements to get a better battery life. At present mine lasts about a day on the slim normal battery and about 3-4 on the bulkier extended life battery (both of which are supplied with the phone). Having the two batteries does make it handy in terms of you can always have one charged and one spare, and if you only use it as a phone and keep all the open apps slimmed down then the battery normal battery can last a couple of days.

I use mine as an mp3 player, a portable hard drive for carry uni work arround etc, and sync it with outlook to run my life, so all in all is very handy. I can see it really coming into its own when i start my grad job in the summer and have loads of meeting etc to remember. It also comes with a desktop docking station/charger so you can lob it in that when your not using it and sitting at your desk.

Oh and btw it is a smartphone :) , I'm currently trying to find a GPS system that will work and im happy with the user interface for mine :)

12. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

The only thing im wondering about is if it will come out on cdma, not just gps networks. If so, then I will be able to get one on my current network.

13. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Wow now how about a battery to go along with that 8 gig phone.
    You know what surprises me is that companies are bending over backwards to give phones every capability known to man, but none have spent a dime on tackling a basic fundamental function thats plagued all mobiles since the days of the cellular bricks. How about give me a phone with a space age battery that lasts for a hell of a long time, cause all the Music and Media in the world won't recharge my phone when the batteries dead and at the end of the day all I really want to do with the phone is make calls.
    Untill then nothing will impress me more than longer battery life, unless they made a phone that turns into Misaki Eto and gives me head while I'm driving. :idea:

14. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

mm it be-ee-aa-utiful

15. Bilbo Fraggins

Bilbo Fraggins What's a Dremel?

i dissagree, its very nice concept and hardwear... but i think for a killer phone where the hell is the new sexy design??!?! It looks like the first cellphne my parents ever bought 5 years ago..
    [​IMG]

16. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I've got a great idea. Why don't they whip out that hard drive thingy and put a battery in the space vacated by it :thumb:
    I am genius

17. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I love the features. I don't like the look. :( We need modular cell phones!

I don't care whether it can play protected AAC files (or any kind of WMA files :p). AAC sounds okay to me at VBR 40-50 Kbps, so I could conceivably put my entire CD collection on the phone.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2006
  18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

oh great, dual speakers with amplification, more scum playing really bad UK hip hop at heavily distorted volumes out of their phones.

19. Touchwood

Touchwood What's a Dremel?

Oh, what a party-pooper Almightyrastus. The ear plugged drones and darleks will have you squarely set in the sights of their GPSs for extermination.

Tags: Add Tags