1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows F.E.A.R. Failure

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mosey, 8 Mar 2006.

1. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

So, i had this game on my old pc. Great game. near completed, blam computer blows up and I never get to see the ending.

So after purchasing a new rig
    AMD 4800x2
    512 Radeon X1900
    ASUS S8N SLI
    X-Fi xtrememusic
    1G Corsair XMS pro.

i re-installed FEAR. Now it fails to work.
    It all installs fine but the actual launch fails to work or load from the game.exe.

I have tried re-installation and nothing works, i have updated all drivers i believe. I installed the patch v1.03 and got this error message.

"A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed."

Safe.

Help? (No spoilers please :D )

2. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

Well it's definately not a system requirements error! Nice hardware mate ;)

3. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Are you using any type of disc emulator software such as Alcohol 120%/52% or daemon tools? FEAR has copy protection that will keep it from running if it detects such programs.

4. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

No i dont have any sort of software that i am aware of that will cause this problem.

As it is very new, i may reformat and start again as my printer destroyed too.

bah bah.

5. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Yeah, a slash and burn is always a good step. If you still get the problem, I'm sure you could find a no-cd crack that'll get you past the copy protection.

6. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Dont know if it applied to FEAR but have you tried setting the processor affinity?

7. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Sorry to go off topic, Deathrow - what is this processor affinity i've heard floating around the forums?

8. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

great game. the last stage was grrrrreat

i have screeshots of the last stage and ending if you want :D

9. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Im not 100% myself. But from what ive heard/read it is how you tell a program (such as FEAR) which core of the X2 it should use. Correct me if im wrong guys :).

10. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Had trouble with plaing Fear if installed above first patch; not only would it not start but somehow it prevented anything else from starting - once uninstalled and re-installed with only the first patch everything was fine.

11. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You are indeed correct.

Setting the affinity to just one core seem to have corrected a lot of problems in many programs, especially games. There is a new patch out from AMD for dual core processors, I think it is supposed to reduce dual core problems.

You can set the affinity to just one core by right clicking the relevent process in task manager and selecting "set affinity", just select one of the cores rather than both. To set the affinity permanently, go to the shortcut of the executable and add -A0 or -A1 after "C:/program files/game/examplegamehere.exe" such that it becomes "C:/program files/game/examplegamehere.exe" -A1 (or -A0).

That helped me solve problems in GTASA, Fear and BF2 so far.

12. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the help

I set the affinity to just one core and changed the compatibility of the game.exe. I managed to get it to boot and everything is working. :D

time for some more slowmo shotgun headshots. heh heh.

Cheers everyone.

Tags: