1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IDF: Day three coverage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Mar 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. baron02

baron02 What's a Dremel?

I cant really see the point in this, i thought DVI was the next best thing from VGA and this has not been that long in the market. So if i want new monitor we got to buy new graphics card to support it, That really sucks.. :eyebrow:

3. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

If it's compatible with HDMI it should also be compatible with DVI via a simple adaptor cable. Doesn't bother me at all really, as long as its not a flimsy connector that falls out all the time.

4. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Whats with intel and propritary all of a sudden. I still get along fine with vga, if I ever move up to a flat panel then I might use that DVI port.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If it's the same as DVI then it's also limited to 1600x1200?? The irony being that VGA can still output a higher resolution than standard DVI.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Although it's backwards compatible with DVI and HDMI, it actually has a considerable bandwidth advantage over the latter- 16Gb/s compared to 5Gb/s. Again, as I've said many a time on these forums, standards are moving incredibly fast at the moment- perhaps too fast for the majority of people to keep up with. Hopefully there won't be any need to fade UDI out for a good few years if it's designed in parallel to a TV standard connector which should manage to become the norm for a while.

<A88>

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Wiki Article on UDI

Consider that single-link DVI has just 3.96GB/s of bandwidth and you can see the potential for this new connection. I'm rather curious if this connector can also be configured as dual-link to double bandwidth up to 32GB/s. Maybe this, and truly pixel independent OSes like MacOS and Vista, will usher in higher resolution displays?

I'm not particularly interested in the current crop of 2560*1600 30" screens, but I'd certainly start saving if that resolution was bumped up to 3840*2400!

8. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

what do you guys think about conroe?
    anyone saving up for it?

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You know, I'm not sure if I'm liking the fact that intel is try to be the boss of the market, first they try to barge in with the DTCP-IP and say they are right in using it as a standard, then try to yet again barge in with UDI. Although It might be smaller and possibly better, DVI hasn't been out for very long, nor do I want to have another adaptor for my monitors. UDI seems a little fragile tbh.

Oh well, we'll have to see if the market adopts.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Does the 965 just add the integrated graphics then? If not, why the lower number?

I'm excited about Conroe. I'm not going to buy one though, an upgrade to an X2 3800 later this year will be enough for me.

Looks like a similar thing to USB wonka -- I've had tens (literally, and not all at once) of DVI pins bend, so switching to something pinless is brilliant in my opinion.

ch424

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

/edit - t3h h3ll? I definately hit the quote button. What bindi said about 1600x1200. :wallbash:

It'll do 1920x1200 ;)

Of course, then you get to add dual-link into the mix. It's rather stupid, because we're now needing new connectors every time we want to up the resolution. And I could imagine 50"+ TVs with the same pixel pitch as computer monitors, meaning somewhere in the tens of millions of pixels per screen, probably. What we really need is something scalable. DVI is limited to 1200 horizontal lines of resolution. I'm assuming HDMI is limited to 1080p, but that's entirely assumption. Even if it were, say, 2160p, that probably wouldn't cover a 36-40" Dell/Apple UltraGrande' LCD (as they're 2560x1600 or so already, IIRC).

I can't say I'd be too pleased to move over to something that my new ubertoy doesn't support yet, either. If it is as simple as a dongle (dvi->vga-esque thing), not a big deal I guess. DVI connectors are way too huge anyways, and I hate having to screw stuff into place to prevent it falling out. As long as it stays in as well as a USB device, we're fine. It'd be that much better if it acted as one (no needing to fiddle around with rebooting to add a monitor, not that it's that inconvenient) but you can't have everything.

So HDMI without two wires and the name that would bring about mahoosive licensing costs. Seems a tad pointless to me, though I definately wouldn't mind smaller connectors. Having a quad-digital-output graphics card sounds nice.

12. Chuckysan

Chuckysan What's a Dremel?

Not trying to be negative or anything, but I'm having a hard time believing that Intel is just giving this standard away out of the goodness of their hearts.

They don't want to pay for HDMI, fine. But I'd put real money on that they're licencing UDI to everyone else at the same industry fees.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Whatever, I knew there was a 1200 in there somewhere :p:p It aint that big anymore is what I was sayin'.

Because it's a consortium of companies noone has to pay for it. It's like being on the developer of Blu-Ray or HDDVD. If they make a standard then more people are likely to adopt it given the largely used and popular alternatives.

14. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

"Is this the best way to solve the industry's display problems"

Perhaps I'm a bit behind here but I didn't know there were any problems. I plug in a monitor into the VGA connector on my motherboard (or card) and it works. Where's the problem?

Why more standards? Why the need for more adaptes?

-G

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I see your point. Although I think I've broken more usb ports than vga/dvi ports!

16. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

But I'm guessin u also unplug/plug usb in and out one hell of alot more than vga/dvi. If u'r anything like me.

17. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure about this. TBH, it does look a bit fragile. Also, I'm wondering, if I want to use my PC with an HDMI television, How will I get the audio to it? I suppose that I could always plug speakers into my PC, but It would be nice to have something like a Y cable to connect the UDI, and audio together and get a standard HDMI connection.

18. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Fragile just like SATA.

And I'll stick to my 21" tubes.. thanks,

19. Jointer

Jointer What's a Dremel?

I currently have a 975 board but I am not sure if it will support Conroe. I have read a few things about this cpu and from what I understand it will require a different VMR than what is currently availible on todays 975 boards. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would absolutely upgrade to Conroe if I don't need to upgrade my mb but would wait for about 6 months before upgrading. Maybe the prices will start to drop.

Jointer

20. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

FFS why is intel changing so many things jeez WHO IS working for them these days... there is nothing wrong with dvi or vga.Think im going to wait a real while before I upgrade because im sure all this c**p intel are comming up with will be the standard in a few years . :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags