1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soncetina - October 14th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Soncetina, 14 Oct 2005.

1. Soncetina

Soncetina What's a Dremel?

I did think of that yea, then I fell in love with those heat pipes hehehe. Im now thinking of a dual wc system, pelts for cpu, rad for chipset, gfx and hdd. Dunno though, i might just try to conserve funds for my next project, as it is going to need a monitor etc, stay tuned for that one

2. Soncetina

Tiny Update, in the absense of any acctual modding work being done today I thought id post the design for the next part, which looks quite similar to what someone else just did.... never mind

[​IMG]
    click to enlarge

It should work pretty well, the plexi work is to allow room for a largeish mobo but still duct air into the power supplies. Also ill do some other plexi work nearer the top as a viewing window. The plexi im using should glow under UV at the edges, so i *think* that some engraving/etching may be in order, inspired by this

Although i will probably use a different design like these...
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

obv it will only be the outline of either 1.....having just looked at them it will have to be the transformer dude thingy that i drew for a mate of mine....Points for finding the website its on...

Last edited: 2 Nov 2005
  3. Soncetina

Not done anywork for a while on account of my birthday and being wasted most of the time, so here is a few pics of what im onto now......

Plate to take the power supplies
    [​IMG]

2mm Ally plate
    [​IMG]

rough cuts
    [​IMG]

Tidying up
    [​IMG]

and thats it till later, need to cut out part of the frame, then sort screw holes etc....
    :dremel:

4. Soncetina

Gaps Cut for PSUs to slide in and out of...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Psu plate over the gaps....

[​IMG]

With bolts on...

[​IMG]
    Purdy :D

mmmmmmmmmm bolty
    [​IMG]

base plate with a few extra bolts on....
    [​IMG]
    Frame needs a respray...
    The base has now been covered in foam, which i will peirce of the bolts 2mrw night, then building a rest for the psus to sit on...... then i guess building the top and front of the case :D

Discuss

5. Soncetina

grrrrr photo bucket :(

6. Soncetina

Been a while.........

Ive done a fair amount to be honest, although a lot of it has now been scrapped or needs fixing/finishing. so whats left doesnt look much, and i have few pictures of work being done so its really only finished/almost finished products. Fisrt of all I "carpeted" by computer with sound dampening foam, this was mainly to hide the galvo that the base was made from, looks pretty good though, and will keep what noise there is down as well as soak up any leaks should there be any....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As well as that I have made a shelf which runs through the center of the computer which will take the pump and have the pipes running down it, as well as the drives... i think....
    this is the part which i spent ages making, painting then scrapped because it was a little too flimsey and looked a bit poop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My plan was to etch a picture into that 'shelf', so tried my hand at etching on some scrap(ish) acrylic, which turned out pretty well....
    [​IMG]
    I was confident enough to use it on my shelf, because i like my shelf and would ruin it, so i set about etching some other acrylic.....

[​IMG]

this acrylic is UV reactive on the edges, which means that the robot thingy drawing will glow, I have tested it next to a uv cathode and it looks amazing, though i didnt take any pictures, so stay tuned for that one :)

[​IMG]

7. Soncetina

Been a long time, i have photos to put up but first i wonder is somone could answer me a question, im putting a ps1 lcd in my case, i already have it, ive almost donbe the rgb hack on it, but i think im gonna use composit anyway but the big thing is power. it needs a signal of 5v to one of the inputs, which is fine. but it also needs power of 7v, which usually comes from the mains adapter supplied. Can i use the 7volt trick for this power?

7v trick = plug in between the +5v rail and the +12v rail, volts = potential diffrence, the diffrence in potential = 7 (12-5) I see no reason for it not to work, but has anyone tried it? I know i CAN get 7v there, and its stable enough, just dunno if itll upset the lcd??

Pics later...

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yes the 7v trick is very popular and works very well :)

9. Soncetina

:D excellent thanks :)

(that was a fast reply)

10. Soncetina

Ok here are some very very blurry photos of what I have now. The plan has now changed everso slightly, my original plan was to use peltiers to cool the water and no rad, i figured that rads can only cool water to just below room temperature (air cooling) and my pelts would be cooling to sub room temperature so the rads would end up heating the water. Then i thought well why not have a rad in just for when the water temp is higher than room temp? So thats what im gonna do, have a rad this one which is nice, a blue one.. But the rad will be on a valve which will mean a new knob/dial on the front of the case :D design work on that coming up, so heres the blurry crappy pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is what will hold the side panels on, 3 at the front, 3 at the back...
    [​IMG]
    really bad picture, should show 2x92mm fans, 3x80mm fans at the front bottom of the case, these are mainly to cool the heat pipes
    [​IMG]
    PWM fan controller...given up on it cos its overkill, and i cant seem to get the circuit board right, so now just using rheostats....
    [​IMG]
    General layout of the front, vents at the bottom, 2 drive bays, robot window UV reactive thingie middle left, knobs and switches middle right. then there will be a door to hold power switches, lcd and hopefully, if i can source them some voltage readouts
    [​IMG]

11. Fahey

Fahey What's a Dremel?

Its looking pretty cool. Never thought about doing something like that.
    you get a big thumbs up bro

12. Soncetina

:D thanks, never thought of doing somthing like what? the pelt part or the 7v thing? (i thought that was quite creative lol)

13. Soncetina

For now just design pictures, photos later....

For the new idea with the rad i need a valve that will split the flow between the rad of the pelts or both, and here is the deesign for that
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so far ive cut out the blocks, the spindle part will either be plastic or hopefully brass. as well as that im building a proto type fan controler with a fron thingie on it, ill post that later..

14. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

Never worked with pelts personally i never thought they got that cold. So if peltman's calcutlations are correct you are looking at 4-5 deggrees Celsius! that is outstanding. i think you have inspired me. Now to read up on this pelt stuff.

15. Soncetina

lol, yea they seem pretty good, mine are 70watt [edit] 53 watt :duh:[/edit]40mm x 40mm, but i know danger den do some that are like 270watt 60x60mm, i think the biggest draw back is that they use soooo much power, u really have to have 2 supples for them. just seems like a good way to put heat in a place where u can get rid of it easily and have great cooling.

Cant wait to see what temps i get lol :D

16. Soncetina

Arf, not done all too much today, or so it seems, basicly got 1 hunk of metal bolted to another. But im pretty sure they are water tight. Need to drill the holes for the water to go thru yet tho, thats 2mrws work. Also Im ill and i nearly killed my computer today, so more images coming later when i find a damned image resizer. At the moment here is the finished article, the making of it to come later....
    [​IMG]
    ^ the sides and ends still need a decent face putting on them after a slight over sight wen i was drilling....oops
    Where the 2 chunks of alu come together is going to have to be water tight, so we are working on a gasket for there...
    [​IMG]
    The bottom of the assembly, this is where the water will be fed into the valve. The 2 surfaces that are bolted together have the same finish on them, which is a damned good finish if i do say so myself

I also got 1 fan controller soldered together, its proving to be a real bitch and i now need some more supplies, guess ill do that on monday(ish) :duh:

p.s. thanks for ur comments

17. Soncetina

This morning ive been working on my fan controls, the idea is to have 6 controls, 4 will have off - 12v on - 12v variable and then 2 which are 12v on and 12v variable. I made 1 controller the other night, which i was experimenting with, so its soldering was a mess, the 5 i did today are better....

[​IMG]
    When the fan is running at low voltage quite alot of heat can be generated in the thingie bobs (rheostat?) so they need a heat sink on them...
    [​IMG]
    Tape the copper wire in place until its soldered
    [​IMG]
    far side = the controller i made earlier = mess, notice how nice the soldering i did today is
    [​IMG]
    Almost done
    [​IMG]
    all ive done so far. I cant really go much further until i know the final placement of everythng, the toggle switches will have a 12v rail down the center pin which i cant put in untill the spacing is decided.

There will also be some blue LEDs fitted which will illuminate the dials, should look pretty cool if it all goes to plan

Last edited: 29 Jan 2006
  18. Soncetina

Ok, ive been working on the front of the case recently, the fan controllers are together, but need pulling apart a bit, the valve is kind of together but Im not happy with it so gonna make a new 1 and take a little more care, i figured nothing else could go wrong so i made the metal sheet for the front, which hasnt gone *that* badly....

step 1...

Cut out alu from 500x500 sheet... done with no pics (sorry)

step 2...

Cut holes for drives to fit in....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 3...

The card mockup i made had a lil widow dealy on the left hand side, under the drives. Easy, cut out window deely...
    [​IMG]
    Done.......but wait! :wallbash:
    I put the window on the left...good, but the alu sheet i had only had a protective sheet on 1 side, which should really be on the outside, not the inside :duh: it kinda solves the problem of whether to use alu sheet all over and clear coat it or just paint the lot anyway.... :rolleyes:

So here is the next problem...
    [​IMG]

the frame of the case is a little in the way of the bolts to hold my pretty window dealy thing, so im going to have to chop part of it out, which means stripping it down..AGAIN :grr:

but here is a pic of what it should look like(ish) when im done
    [​IMG]

which looks pretty cool so i dont mind

and here is a shot through the crotch of transformer man
    [​IMG]

All in all it looks pretty sweet, should get some new toys for the insides next week somtime....

19. Soncetina

Not really done much, all ive really got done is a burn to my thumb and some knobs and switches in the front of the case. so in order here they are...

[​IMG]
    The burn

[​IMG]
    The knobs and switches

[​IMG]
    The front as it is now

Im kinda stuck now on how to do the vents on the front, there is going to be an awful lot of intake fans at the front at the bottom and i cant decide whether to get a plastic vent thingy or just drill a load of holes again like i did for the top considering there is going to be a door over the front aswell, what do u think?

[offtopic] The reason i havnt spent much time on my computer is that ive been making this...
    [​IMG]

which is a trophy for my Counter-strike source clan (www.team-awesome.co.uk) feel free to sdrop in on us at
    195.62.10.65:27015

[/offtopic]

So yea ive decided to paint the whole computer now, i want to go for a whole black ?candy coat? idea. I saw somone on here do their mouse in red ?candy coat? and it looked great, so far i had no luck finding a place to buy all the paint from, help me pleeeaassseeee :(

not certain candy coat is the right name for it,
    sorry to the guy who has done his mouse in red candy coat i forgot your name and cant find your thread now

20. Soncetina

Ok, the past couple of days ive been off work, "wooo" :rock: so ive done alot of work on my case. Ive been putting it off cos i wasnt sure about how to do the vents, so I just went ahead and drilled a load of holes....

marking out
    [​IMG]

drilled
    [​IMG]

doesnt look too bad on a picture, but irl its not amazing, meh might look better after painting

So theres going to be 2 92mm fans behind those vents, so i made a bracket for them...
    [​IMG]
    The holes in the bracket could do with being slightly bigger but i havcnt got a holesaw thats exactly right, they might want a bit of ducting too but we will see....
    Now i made the standoffs....
    Step 1, cut off bar...
    [​IMG]
    step 2, bung it in the lathe, face it then drill it.......
    [​IMG]
    step 3, thread it......
    [​IMG]
    step 4, repeat untill u have 4 of them.....
    [​IMG]

bish bash bosh

this is a picture of pretty much everything i have put together...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

which im pretty happpy with, look at the top of the page and its got all the way to here, excellent.

If i wasnt lazy that would be the end of that post and this would be a new one, but i am lazy, welcome to day 2 of being off work.....

You may remember a while ago I got me a PS One LCD screen, i tried to VGA hack it, then i realised how difficult that was, so i gave up and it sat around for a while getting dusty, now i wulled it out and im running it off s-video and cos nvidia are the mutts nuts it looks like sex on a pcb....

First of all, as you do with the single most expensive peice ive bought so far I drilled holes in it.... RAWR!

the metal tabs are drilled for m2, i want to put m3s in them so I can use standard motherboard stand offs with it....... :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Holes widened, stand off in place
    [​IMG]
    simple.... ish
    [​IMG]
    beautiful, this morning i figured out how to have different desktops on each screen amongst other stuff, *** nvidia

so now im gonna make the door for the screen to be set into.....
    2mm thich alu sheet with a plastic coat....

marking out..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cut out
    [​IMG]

turns out the plastic coat is undestrucable by fire and sanding(almost) so the last resort if to pretend it isnt there and paint over it.... knowing my luck it will react with the paint :wallbash:

Also i cant bend the alu by hand so im going to need to send it to be bend hydraulicly....NARF!!!! :wallbash:

But theres where i am, COMMENT YOU CUR