1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arctic Cooling Silentium T1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 14 Mar 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. kempez

kempez modding again!

Certainly interesting. I think if they put a couple of fan grills and a bit bigger PSU that would be an excellent solution :)

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Looks pretty good, too.
    The retention bracket for the PCI cards, isn't that similar to the Mesh reviewed the other week? (it dodn't get a very good review then).

4. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I not to found on the idea of haveing the HD and the PSU right beside each other. But the dual fans at the top look nice. I like the way they mount ther fans.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I was looking at these a wee while back and its nice to have someone satisfy the questions I was thinking of. Shame the PSU isnt really replaceable though as it looks like a nice case.

It also appears to lack provisions for multiple hard drives being silenced or is it just me?

6. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Personally I thought it looked shockingly bad!

80mm fan mounts are completely obscelete these days, added out of sheer lazyness on AC's part. Granted Ac's fans are very high quality and silent, but still...

Another thing I couldnt beleive is that It doesn't allow you to use a third-party PSU either!! 350watt is NOT suffecient these days!

Not to mention the lack of space and mounts for HDD's, I expected a lot more from Arctic Cooling.

JCBeastie

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I think it's a good case apart from the flaws pointed out. The 80mm fans are very good I have one on my cpu and it pushes alot of air for its noise level. If the case had a 120mm fan artic cooling would have to make one themselves or buy one in and it would require the case to be taller.

It does need modding to acomodate a gaming system though.

8. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Compared to several hundred pounds for the Zalman TNN series of cases I guess it's not a bad deal, even if you are limited to lower powered graphics cards and processors. I know quite a few people who would trade off upgradeability for a silent machine. Personally I find the styling not quite to my taste... one step away from a beige box really.

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Looks pretty nice and for the average gram and gramps/ mom and pops application of email and internet a mid range system would be just fine, especially if its quiet, you learn these things when you leave the stock fans in you moms centurion c5 it is a bit loud.

10. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I was thinking, it would be a perfect oem replacement.

11. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

I love the fact your "office PC" is pretty much 3x as powerful as my gaming PC :/

Still, NICE case, not so pretty IMO, but those fans look super quiet! Will they be available seperately for those of us with excessively loud PCs?

12. LukR

LukR What's a Dremel?

If you use a decent PSU with strong enough 12V rails, 350W is more than enough for a single core intel or a dual core amd and 1 VGA.
    Seasonic manufactures good PSUs, not some labeled for 500W POS not capable of delivering more than 200W contiuous.

FIY: a pretty expensive 550W PSU failed to give more than 250W power on the 12V rail, but the much less expensive 400W FSP Green Power easily put out more than 320W on the 12V rail, with much better effeciency and voltage regulation.

BTW this case is a few years old...
    "Arctic Cooling's Silentium T1
    by Cheese on 17th November 2004" << already posted here
    edit: spelling

Last edited: 15 Mar 2006
  13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

:clap: Yeah you started actually shown the PC builds again. I thought you had resorted to showing pictures provided by the manufacturers and doing theoretical analysis.

I'm not too fond of this case.

HDD attached to the PSU....eh not for me thanks!

Cable management looks like a farce in that thing as well! Looks way to plastic too!

Good review though!

14. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

This one. They aren't the same, but the principle is similar. I just had a quick play with the Mesh version and I can say the Arctic Cooling design is vastly superior.

I agree with Wil that the Mesh mechanism is difficult - thumbscrews *would* be better though given that buy the system pre-built, it's less of an issue really. Since the Silentium T1 is aimed at the self-build crowd, the expansion card retension mechanism is more important. Luckily, at least in my opinion, AC nailed it.

15. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Looking at the pictures, you should be able to disassemble the PSU, and replace the guts with your own chosen psu.

Unless the one they are using is smaller than a standard sized one.

16. darklord

darklord What's a Dremel?

Arctic do a newer T2 version which is costs about £60 and has a 430 watt power supply which might be better but I would like to see a review of this newer case rather than a case that is two years old! but they have kept the same sort of principles as in the T1 though so should be similar in terms of silence.

17. Munterofamodder

Munterofamodder What's a Dremel?

I got a T2 from Overclockers about 8 months ago, its not a bad case at all. The power supply does seem quite good and the 8cm fans are cool, and very very quiet. It's totally negated by the northbridge fan on my motherboard, but that will be going shortly...

A decent 350w psu is certainly enough for most people's computers, bar those using the highest end cpus, overclockers and dual-gpu users. Its so much more important what the quality of the psu is than what it says the peak wattage is on the label!

18. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Couldn't agree more!

Nice review, thanx!

I think it's an interesting case, espesially if you think of all the folks who just needs a quiet, (relatively) small case that houses just the things you need to do some office/internet-work and play a game once in a while.. ..it should have plenty to go around..

19. TMM

TMM Modder

20. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

blah, i wouldn't looks like your a bit of an Antec fanboy ;)

:hehe: im sure the psu in there would match one of antecs of an similar rating :p :lol:

Tags: Add Tags