1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster HDD going wild

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KAK1000, 9 Mar 2006.

1. KAK1000

KAK1000 What's a Dremel?

Hi!

I just wanted to share this with you.

This is how my Maxtor 250GB Diamond 9 harddisk started sounding one day, i got hella scared bacause all my prøn was on it :D but it's still running.

well turn up the volume and listen to the disco beats of my harddisk

http://www.n-images.dk/hdd-death.zip

//KAK1000

Last edited: 9 Mar 2006
  2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

LOL, doesn't sound good. I suggest you pull your pr0n off it and run some tests to make sure its not going to fail soon.

3. baron02

baron02 What's a Dremel?

Ouch that does not sounds so good at all ! I would back up that data pretty soon.

4. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

My old IBM was sounding as yours...before it died :p I would safe all youf biologically important movies and would try to send the hdd to rma.

5. KAK1000

KAK1000 What's a Dremel?

Well the Hdd isn't dead yet... and it ain't over untill the fat lady sings. it's stopped sayind click, but is a little slow.

#4 - well i've got 2 Diamond 9 hdd's, a 160GB and a 200gb and put together they have been to RMA 9 times (during 2 years), so now i'm pissed and switching to some baracudas or some WDC's, and hehe my IMB 120gb deathstar is sounding like a coffee machin that is almost done making coffee

you gotta love those harddisks

6. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Maxtor is utter crap. Good luck on your RMA's, Looks like your a pro at it though (9 times in 2 years? OUCH!)

7. KAK1000

KAK1000 What's a Dremel?

well i ain't gonna RMA them... this time it's just tough luck.. i'm gonna say so what 2000DNKR down the drain

8. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

If its still working, pull your data ASAP, mine went like that and started mashing itself. Its now full of damaged sectors.

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It's money down the drain of your own choosing though - which makes absolutely no sense to me :confused:

If the drive's still covered under warranty, why aren't you going to RMA it?
    Even if you didn't plan on using the replacement yourself, you could always flog it :idea:

10. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

yah, rma 1 more time, then ebay em

11. KAK1000

KAK1000 What's a Dremel?

i've done it som many times that i'm sick of the store and maxtor... ang i got warrenty till next year some time

12. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

In that case... one more RMA ain't gonna harm - if only to get a few £/$'s back when yoiu sell the replacement :idea:

13. White IcE

White IcE Banned

Ok from my thought maxtor really does suck because thats the same thing that happened with my 2 250gb hard disks by them i was so pissed! :wallbash: Yeah so i am gald that SEGATE is going to take over MAXTOR this is going to be good because i have this one computer like a backup that i have fo like 5 years and it has a segate hdd in it and it hassesnt died yet and it is almost full??? like 0.5gb left it is only a 10 gb drive fiqures!

14. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I have 3 maxtor drives, and 2 of them are pushing 10 years now and they are still running fine. One is in my web server, its been on 24/7 for the past few months with not even a crash or restart.

15. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

i loved that filename lol. Its good to hear an audio file of this problem, at least we know what to look out for now :)

btw if Maxtor pissed me off that much id be racing to screw their day up with another RMA

16. KAK1000

KAK1000 What's a Dremel?

sorry i haven't answered the passed few days, but my father just passed away after a short illness, so have been buisy visiting him at the hospital and antending to the funeral.

well last time i send my hdd to RMS they send it to ireland, and i live in Denmark, så now i just wanna let them go to the eternal hd fields... or maybe borrow my friends softball bat and play a little

17. davethadawg

davethadawg What's a Dremel?

sorry to hear the my freind..

i listend 2 the wav.. it sounds like the countless western Digitals that have went on me i just stoped using WD after the 8th one went on me havent used them sice about 2000. I should do as the folks have sujested n take the data off it.. in my exsperiance u get about a month tops out of a drive like that then ure in trouble.. by maxtor has been playing around.. but 2 be honest i think its is a powersaving setting... even though its switched off in Dows.... but hay there ya go

18. b00tc0de

b00tc0de What's a Dremel?

try using SpinRite 6.0. run it overnight. it helps recover data and repairs hard drives.

19. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

ive got about 10 maxtor HDD's in total

the only problem is 1 of them start clicking under heavy load, but the drive is bloody hot at that point (its not encased in a slab of aluminium, and ive never had a problem since)

No drive has died on my, my sister was usign a 40gb drive which stopped working, i swapped it out, go home, ran max blast - 0 problems

its been running a linux server since and no problem whatsoever

Ok it doesnt sound that great, but no data loss, and no realy problems, with the only drive ever stopping working being a 40gb which does actually still work fine, maybe it just didnt like the mobo it was in

20. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Well, it might be something else!
    Here's my old hdd, got it for christmas:
    Clicky here

RMA'd it.. still exactly the same thing. RMA'd again.. no change. Tried a hdd of another brand.. Still exactly the same thing!