1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics MP3 player powered by PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PHxS, 16 Mar 2006.

1. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

I bought an Olympus m:robe MR-500i off eBay with the understanding that the battery wouldn't hold a charge (I know why and already have 2 on the way along with an ac adapter).

I have been itching to make sure that everything else works and thought about where I could source some power for this thing. As I was wandering around Wal-Mart at 2 a.m. seeing if they had anything (nothing that could supply the correct voltage), I came upon the idea of hooking it up to a PSU because the requirements are 5V@2A. My Enermax states that it can handle 32 amps on the 5V rail, but I wonder if there is something in my quick logic that I am missing. The missing part that would have my next post show up in the disaster mods section because of an involuntary electrical fire.

So I guess this would be like a poll, do you think the juice from my PSU would evaporate my MP3 player? Or, should I wait for the batteries and ac adapter to come in the mail?

Thanks,
    Ryan B.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2006
  2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Yes, that will work, although I would suggest only using when the pc is on - just to make sure that there is a constant load. It will certainly work when the pc is on, but I am probably just being cautious about using it when the pc is off.

3. The_Head

The_Head What's a Dremel?

Cool idea, it should only draw the current it needs.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Won't be a problem. The MP3 player will draw only the current that it requires - 32A will not be forced into it (although that would look quite interesting).

5. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

I wasn't worried about the voltage/amperage requirements, I just never researched why companies would tell you to only use their charger/ac adapter on their products. I've always wondered what would happen and at least in the case of this mp3 player, everything is fine.

It is completely ghetto looking with an unused run of molexs (-es, -i, bah) hanging out from my case with two wires coming from the last on the chain, being held in with tape, to this nice piece of equiptment on my desk.

Now it's time to get on to figuring out if I can modify the interface at all. When the batteries and charger get here, i'll make time to figure out how to mount this in the car.

Thanks for the confidence,
    Ryan B.