1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Server help!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by White IcE, 19 Mar 2006.

1. White IcE

White IcE Banned

Ok well here we have it i have a computer with a 250 gb hard disk in it and what i want to do when my next computer is done i want to turn it into a server so i can host my dads and my website on it! so if anyone knows how to do this i would greattly appriciate it!
    system spec's

3.0 Gb HT prosseser intell
    Some intell motherboard!
    250 Gb western digital HD OS ON THIS ONE with information
    30 gb segate HD Just info on this one!
    Windows xp pro SP2 Will upgrade to VISTA when it comes out!
    Ati 9800 Pro vid card
    creative labs sound card
    1 Plextor DVD-R, DVD-RW drive
    1 CD-R, CD-RW
    One preatty cool case
    LOTS OF FANS
    If you want you can add my ipod black video LOL

Any help would be GREATLY appricated! :D

Whate IcE :cooldude:
    i really want to get this project on the roll :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 19 Mar 2006
  2. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

3. White IcE

White IcE Banned

Ok thank you very much this should help by the way my aim is I will pm you!

Note: I am not doing this for like 5 - 6 months!

Last edited: 19 Mar 2006
  4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Wow. Those system specs are phsychotically high for a measily web server. My web server (which does more than a fine job for my purposes) is a meager 458mhz (and thats with overclock) and has only 3gb of hard drive and 256 ram. To be honest, if you already own these components, build a nice gaming rig, or a 2nd gaming rig if you already have a better one, and if you are planning on buying these parts, get something MUCH cheaper, and spend the extra money on upgrading your gaming computer or put the money into a computer that NEEDS that much power.

FYI, server is spelt SERVER, not sever. Sever or to sever means to cut something off, like a limb. Just in case you didn't know :thumb:

5. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

i personly would not use some nice components like that in a webserver.

this is what i would do:

1. buy some crap pc of ebay, like celeron £30 jobby with windows me (there seems to be alot of those around)

2. upgrade a few components like hard drive, case and fans

3. find yourself a nice linux os like slackware or i saw this guy selling a package called blue quartz on ebay, all configureation is done through a browser and has webmail and other stuff built in.

4. conect to lan and make a few virtual hosts and you good to go.

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Alright, how do you setup your webserver. easy...

Send your computer to my "workshop" and i will fix it right up with:

a brand new pentium 2 proccessor: OMFG YAYZ!
    256mb of PC100 Ram: NO WAYYZZZ~!
    a 5gb wd caviar hd: AM I KIDDING?

gl, hf

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Install ubuntu.

sudo -s
    <type YOUR passwrd>
    apt-get install apache2
    apt-get install apache2-mod-php4
    apt-get install vsftpd
    apt-get install mysql
    passwd www-data
    <set a nice password>

Login via ftp with www-data and the password you provided.

8. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Google for Xampp download and configure.
    If your gonna buy another ****** PC for the server do not buy a PC with windows ME, you will save yourself the trouble. I myself use 98se and XP Pro, Windows NT server is nice too.

9. White IcE

White IcE Banned

Ok well my room is kinda big and i have a huge CLOSSET that i want to turn itno sever racks i am not sure about this yet because my bro is thinkin of getting a laptop so then ill take his computer i am in a very deep thinking mood i only spent about 1150$ on that but abbsolutely no mods! but my new one first day i got the case DREMMEL was in use LOL

10. White IcE

White IcE Banned

i already have FTP so i need to get to this host whats the site? because i have never been there! :D

Thank you!

:jawdrop:

UMM let me thinnk about this one SO DEEPLY might take me a minute~~~~~~~

UMMM UMMM I will send it to you

NOT no it is so muchh better as is and i no u were only kidding OMG :jawdrop:

11. ajack

ajack rox

OK first of all what's with the random capitalisation of words? And the spelling? You spelled your own name wrong man...

Second, that's massively overkill for a webserver. You might as well take that rig and put it to use doing something that will come someway near to its potential.

I'd swap the two HDDs over - ie use the 30gb one for an OS and the 250 for data. It makes little sense doing it the other way around.

Personally I'd do away with XP and use Linux, but if you're not familiar with nix at all then fair enough. Sam0r was talking about Ubuntu, a relatively new distro aimed at being pretty user friendly. If you're going to go this way, you might want to look into compiling apache/php/mysql from source as you'll have a little more control over them. Alternatively there's WAMP which will install all this stuff for you (like apt will) but on Windows.

You might also want to look into getting your website hosted by a proper company, depending on how much traffic you're expecting on this website. It's quickly going to saturate your residential line if the traffic gets high.

12. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Seriously, even my webserver is overkill (http://www.trippie.co.uk/system/).

Look at the load averages, unless you're going to be hosting something like slashdot, then you will NEVER use that system to its full potential, even less with windows (c'mon!).

Unless you're thinking of hosting game servers aswell, then maybe you've got the right rig there, but seriously, a 233mhz Pentium II would do the job just as well as that would.

Hell, I'd set you up a webserver and send it you for £100.

13. White IcE

White IcE Banned

What happened was i screwed up my computer and had to reinstall os and it got all screwed up

I am going to get that

I get about 200 unique hits a day

14. White IcE

White IcE Banned

I might even just buy a case and build a new rig bc i have like all the parts i need in a HUGE box in my basement! i should have thought of this a while ago :wallbash: I think i am going down there right now to chec k out what i got! :rock:

15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Look at my servers specs (mind you it doesn't hold any files for filesharing, thats done by another computer) http://mattscomputers.hobby-site.com/serverinfo.html

How does having a overpowered server have to do with the size of your closet? Its definitely not going to take up much more (if any) room in there than a slower server would. You could make several cheap servers. 1 for your website, 1 for your dads, and 1 for serving files and media around your house. That would be a much more effective use of time and money.

Please, DO NOT waste your money on a extremely expensive server, it is pointless.

16. White IcE

White IcE Banned

Well heres how this hole thing started it started over a ROUTER because we had a Dlink and it broke so we wend out and bought a cisco/ linkys roughter then my dad said ohh yeah were going to buy a cisco server and all so we can have a website and a ebay store website ect. now i asked him yeasterday and he said he dident want one anymore so i wanted to turn a computer into one and what i was think was to turn my hole closet into sever racks and pay for sevice you see i make money! LOL I am trying to set up my vbulliton software on a free host but it dosent work thats why i want a sever!

17. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Post of the year!

Seriously, how old are you?

18. mcshaggy

mcshaggy What's a Dremel?

heres what you do. sell that computer, buy a dedicated server.
    done. if you try doing anything more complicated than that, i fear you may hurt yourself.

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Sam0r, any chance of a detailed guide on how you set up your webserver?

20. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Thats a good idea, I'll get on it.