1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BROADBAND help!! [best student deal?]

Discussion in 'General' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 27 Mar 2006.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hey we're looking for decent broadband packages and wondering if any of you can help.

However there is a major sticking point: it seems alot of the decent deals have a 12month minimum contract. We will only be there for 9 months and paying for an extra quarter is a little cack, please keep this in mind.

Requirments:
    -9 month contract
    -sub £20.00 a month
    -1mb+
    -UNLIMITED useage (no 2gb monthly limits etc - however the 'FairPlay' limits are acceptable)

The other point is that most provider require a BT line, we all have contract phones so would rather not pay the extra £15.00 a month for something we arn't gunna use....anyways round this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Ben/FuSS

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

ntl, they do a sub £10 student deal i think.

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

aye, we have always gone with NTL... they do suck a little but there really isn't that much choice if you don't want a phoneline!!

4. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

I think you have to have a phone line to get ADSL, but I might be wrong.

As for cable, I'm not aware of any cable BB suppliers that won't make you take at least their phone package as well.

So I think you're scuppered unless you get a landline. See this thread...

5. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

ntl will allow you to just have a modem. thats guarantee'd.

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

we use Freedom2surf, and have used ukonline, i think both have a 1 month contract...

7. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

In my house i'm with eclipse. Paid £40 extra when setting up for a 1month minimum contract. There are no limits, and we've tested this quite a bit. Might be worth a lot.

8. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Yes a phone line is needed for ADSL but you're not forced to get a landline if you go with NTLs cable service.

As my current house can't get cable we are now with NTL Freedom. To get unlimited downloads you need to use CPS which isn't really a problem, but you still need a phone line :(

9. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

I use Tucan, Its a 2mb unlimited service, £16.99 a month, nice and fast too on ADSL.

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

remember that in student housing unless your landlord agrees you can't have NTL installed or t'other way round (you can't install BT if you have NTL)

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Got UKOnline at uni. 2mbit unlimited for £14.99/month. Have to have a BT phone line as well, but its not too bad at all. :)

NTL had been supplying the house before, they did their best to mangle anything from BT - the old phone line had been cut!