1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For The Attention Of The English Football Association

Discussion in 'General' started by Simonsnet, 28 Mar 2006.

1. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I've just spent the past few hours writing a petition script for my website. I for one am thoroughly sick and tired of the diving and general cheating that has worked its way into the beautiful game. The FA need to be made to understand that we are their CUSTOMER's and they need to listen to what we have to say. I want to aim for 50k+ "signatories" so that we can make the FA, and ultimately UEFA and FIFA address the situation.

I call on all real football fans, who really care about our game to make yourselves heard. Put Your Name Here. Further more, I request that those of you who frequent football forums (and indeed forums of any kind) spread the word about OUR petition.

Admins - I'm not pimping here, I do this for the game, not for my meagre website. Feel free to remove this thread if you feel that i'm out of order posting (lol like you need my permission to remove the thread though right :D).

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i must admit that i dont follow football but occasionally i will watch a game.
    last week i watched those 2 cup games and i was quite shocked at the actions from some players, diving and blocking players. but to be honest the actions of the referee's is a joke, they just seem to call a foul every 2 seconds and choose at random which side should win possession. it was dreadful really, and im only a very casual watcher so god knows what the real footy fans think

3. Simonsnet

I know what you mean chemo.. this is why I've launched this petition. I watch the football every weekend (not obsessively like some, but when i don't have proper plans), and it's getting so frustrating. Sometimes the diving works for your team, and sometimes it doesn't. What we have to consider though, is do we want our teams to win matches/cups/leagues via cheating? No.

4. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I don't watch much either, but I saw some of a match at my dads the other day and remembered why. 2 supposedly huge teams, yet some players seemed to have a serious balance problem. Not to mention the general lameness of some players - they fall over, blatantly on purpose, and start limping for maybe 30 seconds then run off :eyebrow:

Not to mention the lack of tactics and coordination - but thats another rant.

5. ajack

ajack rox

I am yet to comprehend why people get this worked up over a game which is just utter boredom and which, in a lot of cases, results in violence and/or vandalism. People in football have always tried to get away with as much as possible, that's the way it is.

6. Simonsnet

Thanks for your constructive post j4ck.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

He has a point though. What gives football such a special status (compared to other human activities)? I mean, people get paid millions and are revered as heroes for kicking a ball over a field and behaving like out-of-control assholes off the pitch. Millions are spent in advertising, sponsorship and broadcasting rights. People sit at their TV all weekend, or spend fortunes on tickets for the privilige of shouting racist abuse at players and fighting with other punters. The costs in policing and vandalism before and after many games is staggering. Your side lost? Let's get drunk, kick some people's heads in and wreck the town centre. Your side won? Let's get drunk, kick some people's heads in and wreck the town centre. We are shocked at the Paris riots and recent Muslim protests, but for some reason the context of a football game seems to sanction and normalise riots on a regular basis and nobody raises an eyebrow.

The "beautiful game" of football is ruined alright. But this has little to do with the game, and much more with its customers.

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Let's not let the minority of thugs create a stereotype for the majority of sport fans.

The thugs use football as a means and an excuse. The fans are there for the football. The two don't cross that often.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That sizeable minority has a serious impact though, on the game, on the social environment as a whole and on the reputation of its fans. For instance British football fans as a whole have acquired such a reputation because of this minority that some countries rather not have them visit an away game at all. Yet do we ever see these fans complain about this minority? Do we see them write to the FA, UEFA or FIFA about that? Try and encourage a peaceful gathering at the pitch? Protest or campaign against football related violence? Of course not. They complain about referees and players not living up to their standards. Never about the behaviour of the crowd. It's all about bread and games.