1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How Can I Sleeve Sata Power Cable??

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stuey, 29 Mar 2006.

1. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Hi. I've sleeved my molexes a while back, but I'm about to rework my entire system's wiring. I thought that this time I might sleeve my Sata power cables. The thing is, I can't find help anywhere online. I've been playing with a spare molex to sata adapter but can't see how to take the plug off without permanent damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to sleeve a sata power cable? I know I can use larger diameter sleeves, but they're just too big, and I can't get the heatshrink over the plugs.

Much appreciated. If collectively we're stumped, I'll just hide the cables away for a while. But, I'm sure I'm not the first person to be stumped by this.

2. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

the only realy way is to cut the wire put the heat shrink and sleaving on the push it to one side reconnect the wires side the sleaving down then heatshrink it. thats the only real way. but there is noway to take off the sata power connetor

3. ETB

ETB What's a Dremel?

there is three different type of Sata connector:
    1.whitout any way to separate the pins from the power connector
    2.whit removeable pins
    [​IMG]
    3.90 degree connector.
    [​IMG]
    if you have the no.1 connector' the only way is to cut the wire, like the hobbs sad.
    but you can always buy new removeable Sata connector, and replace it.

4. Stuey

Ok, ok I see. Well, I would have loved to avoid cutting the wires, so I'm just going to try my darndest to hide them away somewhere. I see how the cable design is more efficient than molexes, but this is still somewhat of a hassle. It seems as though the 90 degree connector can be removed with some force.

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

you could try turning the power header at 90 deg like some people do for their ATX header.

the way i did it was to make completely custom psu wiering from scratch, this i sleved everything from the normal molex end, and didn have to cut the sata power heads off.

6. the_fox

the_fox What's a Dremel?

you could always de-solder them inside your PSU, sleeve them, and resolder them ;)

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Make them modular, get some sleeving round em that way.

Just cut them off say 2"s or so from the PSU, a male and female 4 pin connector that you like the look of and sleeve the rest. Could do the same with your entire PSU if you needed to.

8. Stuey

Hmm, these are some pretty good suggestions. I think for now I'll keep them out of sight and out of mind, but I'm about to rework my entire case wiring (again). I think I like Guardian's suggestion the most since bending the cables would theoretically (if it worked) require a minimum amount of effort.

But making my PSU modular might not be too far in the future. I like Hiper-PSU style connectors and I *think* I can pull it off.