1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project R0xx0r: 02 April

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Peanut[UK], 5 Mar 2006.

1. Peanut[UK]

Peanut[UK] What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

I've been talking to friends about starting this project for almost a year, I've fiddled with the design in Sketchup for months, but today I finally got some materials and tools together, and spent a few hours in the garage making a start.

I'm basing the case on on the iconic Marshall JCM800 head and 1960A slanted 4x12 cab. It'll be 2:1 scale, with the cab housing the mobo and HDDs, and the head housing the PSU, optical drive and card reader. I'm trying to keep the front of the head as functional as possible (you'll see ).

Here's an example of the real thing:

[​IMG]

Anyway, here are a first few taster shots, but there's little real progress so far.

[​IMG]

The donor case.

[​IMG]

Some kit.

[​IMG]

The two side panels.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to start screwing things together.

More will follow this week!

Last edited: 2 Apr 2006
  2. Peanut[UK]

Project R0xx0r: Discuss

Let rip, tell me what you think (I'm especially interested in "you're so unoriginal, I've seen this before" type comments, as I've trawled the web and can't find anything similar (apart from the X-Fi thing)).

Here's the log so far.

Comments are welcome! Especially any thoughts on cooling - I think I'm going for 4x120mm fans (in keeping with the case), placed where the speakers are in the real thing, although I'm not sure if the air-flow would be sufficient. 2 intake fans at the bottom, and 2 outlets at the top. I think this will move enough air through the case to keep things cool...

Cheers

Last edited: 6 Mar 2006
  3. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Pictures dont work.

4. Peanut[UK]

Not that there's much to see so far, but I think they're fixed now!

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nope, still not working matey.

6. Peanut[UK]

*mutter* *mutter*

****ing hosting.. ****ing image tools.. "Invalid format", my shiny metal a$$.

Right, they're hosted by photobucket now, and I'm hoping they work..

7. Peanut[UK]

8. Fe7cH

Fe7cH What's a Dremel?

Hi Peanut. The intake fans at the front will pull in alot of dust which will accumulate on the outer black fabric. You know the dark blue speaker cover I've got on the front of my case looks silver with dust where the fan is, and there's no getting rid of it, I tell you !

You might want to consider a different material to that which is on the Marshalls. You could get the plastic type woven stuff found on other amps which you could dust off. Or maybe you've got something else in mind.

Looking forward to seeing it finished. Make sure it's done by i27 eh? ;) My case needs ALOT of work. In fact I need a new case.

Apologies if this is no help

Fe7cH

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice idea with the psu in its own seperate enclosure, should help to keep things cool.

10. Peanut[UK]

I am planning on using cloth speaker cover (from Maplins) for the front. I know it's going to collect dust.. this is one of the things that I might have to live with. Or make the from panel easily removable so I can vacuum it clean! Or water cool... :eek:

Good to see you on here too! You'll get loads of ideas from this place!

Apart from the PSU..! I'm a bit worried about the insulating properties of the MDF. The PSU is going to get modded a fair bit, which will involve making sure it's got good airflow.

P.s. no update to worklog so far, as I've discovered routers are beasts of machines, and spent all night last night trying to figure out how work the thing without destroying my carefully cut panels..

11. Peanut[UK]

Well, it's taken a while, but I've got a box finally. At least I know how to use a router now!

[​IMG]

It still needs tidying up, but it's there. The rest of this week will be mostly taking apart the donor case (so I can measure up for the mobo tray), treating the MDF, and building the box for the "head".

12. Peanut[UK]

Sheesh.. it's been a really busy couple of weeks, so I've not had time to get much done on the case.

I've sealed the MDF in the main part of the body, with 2-3 coats of wood varnish watered down with cellulose thinners (50:50 mix). The cellulose allows the varnish to soak in a bit before it evaporates, and then seals the MDF fibres. I've also cut the back panel. This will hinge at the bottom, and support the mobo tray. And I've built the box for the head.

So some pics:

[​IMG]

The two boxes. Gives you an idea of the shape.

[​IMG]

With the door in place. It's a tight fit.. about the squarest thing I've managed to cut so far! ;) The head's a little smaller than I'd have liked. The PSU doesn't fit in it's normal state, so I'm going to have to remove it from it's casing for it to go in.

What's not pictured is the Dremel pwnership I laid down on the donor case. It's in bits, and will need a little re-engineering to get into shape to go into the case.

Next up will be sealing the head, cutting the hole for the mobo headers in the side, spraying (matt black). Then it's fun with electrics in the PSU...