1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WireFrame, 22 Mar 2006.

1. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Well, I was thinking about getting one, and the wireless and "homebrew" firmwares are very appealing, but are they really worth it? I can pick up a new one for £120 atm, do you reckon they'll drop much more in price?
    Someone, convince me?

2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Well i really wanted one, got one, completed both games and now it just sits around on my desk. Its a really cool thing to have but i have the xbox 360 and PC for gaming so a handheld isnt really going to stand a chance. If i had a new game i'd take it into college but i'd rather have a new x360 game.

3. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

You've got to ask yourself, are you buying it for gaming, or all the extra features? And will you actually use these extra features often? As far as the gaming side goes, IMO the PSP sucks, there arent that many good games for them. If you want awesome handheld gaming, get a DS Lite when they're released.

As far as the price goes, I cant imagine theyd drop it a great deal, but I remember reading somewhere that it should go down in price around the PS3 launch. I reckon it will stay around the price it is at the moment, as Sony know people will still buy it, regardless of the price.

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

ive had 2 and sold both within a small time frame from getting them. ive tried a few games and theres just nothing around to keep me interested.
    id much prefer to play games on my pc and i dont need a portable much as i dont use public transport or go on holiday. but for home use they pretty much suck.

5. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I'll sell you mine...£175. Good condition, 3 Games (THUG2, Burnout Legends, Coded Arms) and 1 UMD (Spiderman 2). E-mail / MSN / Reply if you're interested!

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

stop pimping acron :p

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

:jawdrop:

WipeOut Pure, Me & My Katamari.... 'nuff said. Many an hour spent on those. Oh and there's that golfing game everyone raves about.... but I don't have any free time between my 2 addictions (WP & Katamari).

I have a DS too, but it's just a plastic kid's toy and not in the same league. I still like it, but it gets nowhere near as much use.

8. K

K 528491

That's just it though... TWO games? That's not a great recommendation. And of those two, one is infinitely better with twin analogue sticks on the PS2. So very much better it pains me to consider playing it any other way.

I think the PSP has potential, but it's hampered by moronic developers that see it as a platform to port crippled PS2 games to.

If you only want to use it for homebrew stuff, you might as well just get something like a GP32X.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Haven't touched my PSP in months. The platform is seriously lacking in games, PS2 spin offs are all well and good but they just don't work for gaming on the go.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I love my PSP. There does need to be more good games released though. I've had mine for a year and it still gets regular use, even if 50% of that is with emulators.

Currently playing Tales of Eternia, GTA:LCS and PES5. Played to death: Everybodys Golf and Wipeout. Going to get Syphon Filter soon, I loved the original on PS1. I hear talk of a Worms game too, that would be pretty sweet.

I like the portability of the console. I use it all round the house really and I've got a few other consoles as well. I don't use it for anything other than games, can't see the point unless I wanted to watch films on long journey or something.

If it wasn't for the emu's then it would only hold about half of the appeal to me. There just aren't enough good games available.

I'm only just coming round to the idea of getting a x360 due to the fact that there is now more than one game I want for it.

If I didn't have my PSP now, I would gladly pay £120 for one, personally.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2006
  11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Had mine for over a year now, and I am a little disappointed. The hardware is fantastic, loads of potential, packed with features and what not. As a games machine it is fantastically let down by a pathetic catalogue of games. Sure there are a number of genuine, top quality games such as Lumines, Wipeout, RRacers, GTA, Mercury and PES5... but considering it's been out for this long and the vast majority of games are either ports or tired franchises then it's not likely to satisfy anyone with more than a casual interest in games imho. Months and months pass without me even picking it up, with only PES5 (at the moment) providing a reason to put it in my bag at the moment. Homebrew and emulators are great, but they can only satisfy for so long tbh.

12. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

NOone wants the spiderman 2 umd ill give mine away if i could.
    I use mine for mps/vids (got Ghost in the shell standalone complex dvd1-5 (20 EPS)on mine)lumins rules youll lose so much time on it. also running ZSNES on it!
    Dunno way i use mp3 on it when ive got an iPod :duh:

13. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

A lot of people like to criticise the PSP for not having enough games around to keep them occupied. Well if you're a PlayStation person (as in you like PlayStation games in general) then there are plenty of games to keep you occupied. However I use my PSP more as a portable media centre more than a handheld console. Nothing beats watching Lost on the way to Uni lol.

Games I recommend - Burnout Legends, Me & My Katamari, DJ Max Portable, Lumines, Twisted Metal: Head On, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo, WipEout Pure. Twisted Metal and SOCOM can be played online which will last even longer.

Ever since my purchase when they first came out in Japan, I have not looked back. A worthy purchase in my eyes.

14. [sinz]

[sinz] What's a Dremel?

I think there are a lot more games than people think. I have Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors, Metal Gear Acid, SOCOM Fire Team Bravo, Practial Intelligence Quotient (PQ), Lumines, and Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (Everybody's Golf). I also borrow some from my brother. He has, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Hot Shots (Everybody's Golf), SOCOM FTB, and Street Fighter 3 Alpha Max. All of my games have gotten tons of play time and I still pick each of them up and play them for a while on a fairly regular basis. Even more, several new games just came out for it including Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Splinter Cell: Essentials, Me and My Katamari, and Metal Gear Acid 2. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror got some of the best reviews of all the PSP games and I plan on buying those four I just listed over time. (Especially since I'm injured and can't walk for another two months.)

PSP is awsome imo and the media player features are fantastic with amazing video quality on the UMDs. The only downside is that the Memory Stick Pro Duos are pretty expensive when compared to other flash memory though it's not such a big deal for me because they work in my digicam and my laptop has a built in MS/MS Duo reader. For gaming it truly shines if you've got someone else to play with over WiFi (my brother and I have played Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf endlessly). And Sony has just announced that a video camera (for eye-toy use and video chatting over wifi) and GPS unit will be released in the future so the features will continue to expand.

I suppose if all that doesn't convince you then you should hold on to your money :). I don't think the price will be coming down very much in the near future.

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I think the PSP is very worth it now. During launch and up until now I would say it definately wasn't. I play my PSP alot more now a days with the much better games being released. Generations of Chaos is a good timesink if you are into games with steep learning curves. Daxter is shaping up to be probably the best Platformer to hit handhelds in a long time. I love the game to death. Shin Boudukai (atleast in stores here) seems to be sold out whenever I check. Splinter Cell got good reviews and is due out soon. I imported Tales of Eternia and that game rocks even though it's an old PSX game. Hot Shots golf was probably the best game at Launch (I think). There is also GTA: Liberty City Stories, X-men Legends II, Lumines. Those are all games I currently own (except for Splinter Cell) and I play them quite often. To be honest I've little to no use for the extra portal features. Got a laptop for the long trips, Mp3 player for on the go music =/. My roomate however, uses almost every feature of his PSP except for the Web Browser. With a 2g stick you can drop a movie onto it , or quite a few episodes of your favorite series.

Like a said before, this year, the PSP has alot more games, and much better quality games coming to it. Last year it was definately not worth the money. And the Price for the PSP is due to drop by $50, however it won't come with a 32mb stick anymore. Just the system and the A/C adapter.

16. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I'm gonna miss my PSP...I mean, it's like a warm aquaintance that shows up when i'm bored, entertains me, and then disappears when I don't need it. Perfect.

And people are right, there are some cracking games. THUG2 Remix keeps me coming back over and over again.

17. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I must have a very small brain then, as I actually gave away a game I never got around to playing because I am STILL addicted to WipeOut Pure. I just don't have time for any other games. I do agree with the analog controller bit, but sadly taking my PS2 & TV with me on my daily train journeys just isn't going to happen...

18. ChriX

ChriX ^

I'm happy with my 1.5 PSP, but only for homebrew. The new games would want a firmware update anyway so there's no point me buying them. The GP2X seems a bit too dodgy at the moment for my liking.

19. nintendoh

nintendoh What's a Dremel?

No get a DS instead :)

20. friddela

friddela What's a Dremel?

I had a psp, completed the 2 games i got with it and couldn't be arsed to buy anymore, therefore sold is about a month later, fun whilst it lasts, the problem is, it doesn't last.

Tags: