1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush administration considering using nuclear weapons against Iran

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 10 Apr 2006.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The original article is here, but it was too long to post. I'll quote some exerpts...

:wallbash:

2. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

/me grabs shovel and starts digging a nuclear bunker (with internetconnection offcourse :eek: )

3. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

I would think it is one of many plans. A pre-emptive nuclear strike won't happen. Using nuclear bunker busters is the only viable way to breach some of these facilities IMO. Infiltration of their program will be difficult if it's even possible.

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

"When the Germans started bombing, the British ducked and covered. When the British started bombing, the Germans ducked and covered. When America started bombing, everyone ducked and covered."

I'd be very worried if the USA started using nuclear weapons... :worried:

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I AM very worried that the US is even talking about using nuclear weapons, even itty-bitty ones. What's even more worrisome is that we are considering using them against a nation with which we are not at war and which presents no real threat to our interests.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, there's the old terrorism angle that will inevitably be played. Iran hasnt exactly made itself "anti terrorist". The only problem being is that if there is an Iran war, it will create more terrorism.

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I think he has an idea here.

Anytime anyone starts talking about using nukes its never a good thing.

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But it does prove the intelligence of the "leaders" of the "land of the free"... Nukes are just one of those things that never should be discovered/researched.

Iran doesn't have to have nukes to retalliate, just convince (wich isn't that hard) the other OPEC countries to cut the supply of oil... You'll see who will beg to be friends again

9. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Nuclear power in the benificial electrical sense, is the only good thing that came out of the weapon design. There are plenty of things that you wish could be uninvented but it dosent always work that way.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I know nuclear power came from the research, but I did say Nukes, as in the mass destruction stuff... Altough my governement doesn't agree with me, nuclear "produced" electricity is the way of the future...

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

what i find disturbing is the u.s. is considering another war, even though the hostilities haven't ceased in afganistan, and iraq is still a mess. a third war with 2 unfinished? doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
    the fact that nukes could be involved scares the heck out of me even more. i'm having visions of that lbj (i think) campaign commercial with the little girl picking flowers interspersed with a countdown...

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

At least bush is toning down the rhetoric a bit now :blah: Hopefully a better solution will come into play, but its a longshot.

13. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I like how he calls it "key stuff", he sounds very knowledgeable.

What's even more grossly stupid is the fact that the administration still hasn't learned that their search for wmd's and their wanting to use wmd's is completely hypocritical. Either that or they don't care, which is most likely the case and even more so idiotic.

The problem is that despite America having wmd's pointing at some countries I am sure that there are many countries with a similar total of wmd's pointing back.

What they haven't learned is that violence begets violence. Although cliche is a truism.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2006
  14. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

-A. Einstein.

15. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

ditto.... :miffed: why oh why did bush get voted in? can an american here please enlighten me?

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

America is full of morons. One of them had to win. Someone really needs to take one for the team and deal with the reprocussions of an assassination (you know, worldwide praise and all that).

So, where are we meeting to start digging the Bit-bunker?

17. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

hey - I am a true republican - if only some day I could become president of this country of ours....maybe I could change a few things. However, as little as I like bush, I feel obligated to support him because he is the president and we elected him. I still feel he is a better alternative to John Kerry.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Fair point. The problem is that recent elections have been lesser-of-two-evils. If the president's salary didn't relatively suck, someone who's actually smart might run in the future. Up it to $10m a year and maybe we'll get some good candidates. Considering that our national debt is approaching $10 trillion (yes, with a t!) I'd say that a fraction of a fraction of a percent of that to have someone who can effectively lead a country (not just digging at bush here, gore or kerry would hardly have been better) would be a worthwhile investment.

In a society shaped by capitalism, having the top job getting paid less than a decent businessman really isn't a great idea.

19. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

i think that this is actualley the wrong thing to do

the people are the checks and balances on the govt your obliged to question every decision they make. Demand answers for any question anyone asks of them and make sure they don’t go overboard

I seriously think that every country needs to take a leaf out of the terry pratchet book “small gods”
    In ephebe people elect a kind, compassionate, and intelligent person to the position of tyrant. When they do they find out that in fact he is a tyrannical ruler (just like the last) who is out of touch with the philosopher in the street.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Don't settle for the lesser evil: vote Chtulhu." I'm sorry, but anyone who supports Bush in my opinion does not have the right credentials to run a country... :p

One should never unconditionally accept the acts of a leader one voted into office. Democracy does not end when you tick the ballot paper. It is an ongoing process of feedback. The moment your leader does something you do not agree with, you let him know. If he persists, you put him out of office and elect someone who will represent your interests properly.

As for Bush nuking Iran... tough one. All logic speaks against such a move. However Bush is an idiot. Let's face it, he ain't JFK at time of the Cuba crisis. He is on a mission from God and has got his way thus far, so why not push it a step further? That's the thing about believing you are doing God's will: who can possibly question you? Who can possibly challenge you?

And he is advised and manipulated by people with their own selfish interests at heart. Given that they are no political or military experts but basically, business people on a feeding frenzy, they will be blinded by greed (after all, we believe what we want to believe) and not look at the bigger picture themselves.

The UN won't stop him --they coudln't before. I think it is all seriously scary.