1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: "Biggerest Disk" (11th April)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Geqxon, 14 Mar 2006.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

To drill metal you have to use a hole punch to mark the spot so that the bit has something to start on. And it's more than possible to do straight cuts with a scrollsaw.
    You just have to take your time and do alot of measuring and marking.

2. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Awwwww! Don't go... It was fun to read as it went along... Sigh. Although I guess if its too much hassle, it isn't worth the fun anymore.

FYI, the Project Log Archives are the OLD Project Logs, from before the Forum renovation. They aren't archived as in backed-up, just the old Project Logs that were left along. :hehe: Lol. But it's a shame you're stopping this project. Ah well. Best of luck in future mods.

3. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Take my time to do measuring and marking? I've bin making templates for hours, and the template is great. Its just that I cant cut any straight lines, or drill holes right where I want it (even when I mark the spot with a punch-tool), I just swobbel and scratch up all the aluminum.

I'm sorry guys, but this way, I'm just trowing away lots of euros worth of aluminum, drills, dremel disc, time, paper, tape and motivation.

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Quitterboy!

If you never try, you will never learn! Perfection takes lots of practice, you cant just expect your first mod to be perfect

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Don't quit
    You are doing fine. You should see my dremel cuts, theyre horrendous. I have to spend hours filing away at it to get it straight, and even then it looks like crap. And I've been doing this for almost 2 years now. If its that bad just buy some C-strip molding and put that on, itl make it look much better.

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

[​IMG]
    I love the O.J. modding gloves.

Seriously though man, keep at it. The only way you're going to get better is by practice. Take those two PSU's, and drill/sand/cut/saw/dremel them into such small peices that you can't hold them without damaging your fingers, and then find 2 more, and re-do the project.

7. gar

gar Minimodder

Persevere. Why?, because you don't know how good a modder you really are!!!

I'm not saying this to boast, but, people discouraged me and tryed to make me feel like I didn't have talent in the following areas. cycling, art and technology bacuase they didn't think I was good enough straight away!

But because I would not give up I became twice an Irish champion in cycling, I got the top grades in art and design. I do drawings for people, and I studied technology and design at University and good good grades depsite the odds. I thank God that he told us to persevere. Don't give up and take heart because I can see you have the ability, just keep truckin!

No my life is not about proving people wrong or acheiving. My parents don't think I have what it takes to get a good grade in Theology, and they don't even want me to be at Bible college. I can't write very well at the moment, but I won't give up. I beleive I can get a first class honours despite it all and being near bottom of the class, but I won't put limits on myself just because of what people say. Yeah, ok I can't grow wings and fly!lol, but I just want to encourage you not to give up. Concentrate on where this is taking you, learn and enjoy and if your not enjoying then thats fair enough.

Gareth

Last edited: 22 Mar 2006
  8. gar

gar Minimodder

Sorry if the above post souds way OTT, I just don't want to see this guy give up cos he has talent.

9. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

imho dremels are bloody useless for cutting straight lines and drilling holes.
    drill press and a scroll saw are made for than kind of thing.
    If you insist on using a dremel get lots and lots and lots of practise, and when you think you are good enough practise some more.
    I think mine is laying under 10 different kinds of crap in the shed as i dont use it anymore.

10. mattthegamer463

You could use a metal ruler/meter stick as a guide. Hold it down as you cut, and let the side of the cutting disk rub slightly on the ruler. That way it goes along the straight edge, cutting a perfect straight line. I've never tried that, I just thought it up, but it would work in theory. :dremel:

11. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Well, I guess I owe you guys an apology. I am sorry for quiting this soon, and in order to make it up: More updates :D

Chopped this sucker right off the fan, this fan is realy nice!
    [​IMG]
    I just bougth a metre of threaded pipe (is this how you call it??), and cutted it into four pieces of 25 centimeters:
    [​IMG]
    The result:
    [​IMG]

This sucker can now receive DMB, XM, FM ánd AM Radio!

The HDD bracket (prototype, hence the totally out of line placed holes):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2006
  12. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Well, I guess I owned you guys an update :)

Check the thread ;)

13. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

There we go! Good boy! *pats*

14. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

This projected is kinda not moving on so fast, since I got totaly ripped off on ebay. I orded 4 USB2.0 to IDE convertors for a total of 40 dollars, and he has yet only sended me one, which seems to be handicaped at 900kb per second (Kilobytes, yes. Hell, my DSL connection is even faster than that!).

Today, I've got myself some nice aluminum and two little brothers for my PSU. The current is actually PSU is way to big, and when I saw these two puppies, I instantly bougth them. They where €1,50 each (translated to 2 dollars each), and respectivly 90 and 150 watt.

Yes, I somewhat do know that designwise I am back to square one. But I really don't give a damn, since I can now build a way smaller device!

[​IMG]
    Now you see the bolt
    [​IMG]
    And now you don't.

[​IMG]
    FLTR: 150w Half-Size ATX, 400W Full-Size ATX, 90w mATX.
    [​IMG]
    This shot is sooo sexy.

O and I also got myself a nice HDD. But when I got home, I noticed how pricy it actualy was! It was 5 DOLLAR PER GIGABYTE!.

Thank god is was only 256Mb :D

15. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

im glad you're still trying as this looks pretty interesting.
    trust me my dremel cuts suck too but I just try to make sure I have ways of hiding them so they cant be seen.

one suggestion: Personally I just cant use those cutoff wheels or even the so called heavy duty wheels. they just don't seem to work for me so I only use the fiber reinforced cutoff wheels. you might want to try them.

and also, I did the same thing my first time cutting, not using a mask. I coughed the next couple of days too. so never agian without a mask for me :duh:

16. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

Where is the main idea of that project ?

17. mattthegamer463

Nice job so far, but why did you buy a 256mb hard drive for 25 cents? Seems a bit pointless, unless its going to be slaughtered and made into something.