1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: AMP

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Halgy3000, 4 Apr 2006.

1. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Many moons ago, a computer mod was conceived, the greatness of which rivaled that of something utterly mediocre. Alas, said project, dubbed lamely ' Cool PC', died in a fit of laziness and chronic lack of cash. However, several months hence I have again returned to face the mod which once lay before me. However, since then the concept of the mod had grown much larger, and what now is presented is truly great: Project AMP!

I'm terribly sorry about all that; I'll try to be more sensible from now on.

My original plan for the Cool PC was to integrate a peltier cooled mini-fridge into the front of my case, intending to simply paint the case a lame blue. However, as I sat drinking my new love, AMP Energy drink, I noticed how much the paint job ruled, and decided it would be perfect for a mod paint job.
    [​IMG]
    Likewise, I decided that the AMP symbol would make a relatively good shape for a window mod. I reviewed the plans before me, and it was good. Then I had an AMP, and it was good. All was righteous.

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  2. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

The Journey Begins

Right, so to make an AMP computer, you start with an junky, old Gateway computer case from the closet.
    [​IMG]

Then, hack a bit out of the front bezel and a corresponding bit from the front.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then, ask your father, who happens to have metal working hobby, to make a box, just big enough to fit two soda cans and just small enough to fit into the previously made hole.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This box will someday be welded onto the case (again, via father), forming the fridge portion of the casemod. The gray bit, which was once an insert to the front bezel, will be hinged on and serve as the door. To cool it, I took the peltier cooler from a Mountain Dew (how appropriate) mini fridge, which will be hooked up at a later date and somehow insulated.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PS, if the pictures are too big, please say so in the feedback forum. Likewise, I'm just hosting on Photobucket at the moment, so if anyone knows of a better free to cheap hosting site, I'd love to know it before they cut off my bandwidth. Assuming, of course, anyone is reading this. But I digress....

Last edited: 4 Apr 2006
  3. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Project: Amp Feedback Thread

What do you think? Any questions, comments, sugestions, or flat out insults will be much appreciated.

PEACE

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  4. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Now to start with the side. First, tape it up real nice.
    [​IMG]

Then, tape a bit of paper to it, cutting out the design and tracing with a Sharpie.
    [​IMG]

Then, repeat with the lettering and Mountain Dew symbol.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The result, a template for further ambitions.
    [​IMG]

Now the harder part: cutting it out. Since I have never done this type of work before, I didn't really know what to do. However, I soon discovered that a number of holes drilled into the panel would make it much easier to Dremel out, ergo:
    [​IMG]

After a few minutes and two cutting disks, I successfully cut out a shape somewhat resembling the AMP symbol.
    [​IMG]

The edges still have to be greatly cleaned up, but I haven't the right equipment to do such at the moment. A trip to the hardware store will solve this soon.

Next was the letters. I discovered that the place where I wanted the letters had a reinforcement bar across the back, so I had to remove it. Several minutes and four cutting disks later, the deed was done.
    [​IMG]

After a few more minutes of cutting out the letters, I discovered that a big cutting disk is less than optimum for this type of work. I did what I could, but the rest will have to wait until after the previously mentioned hardware store run.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I have work for the next couple days after school, and I then leave for state Student Congress. Therefore, said hardware run, and the subsequent work, will not likely occur until next week, leaving posting material to a minimum. However, I vow not to leave this project to the same fate as my last.

Please feel free to leave any comments or suggestions in the feedback thread. Oh, now that I think of it, if anyone knows how to paint a gradient pattern (Like the black->dark green->light green scheme from an AMP can), I'd sure like to hear how. Otherwise, I envision much trial and error and waste of paint.

PEACE

Last edited: 4 Apr 2006
  5. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Always interested in fridges in computers, i tried to do this 3 or so years ago and it failed miserably, the biggest problem i had was insulating it from the heat as eventually after 5 minutes the fridge was actually warmer than the ambient case temp. didnt use a mini fridge though as they were the better part of £100 a shot which ma have been the biggest problem. Good work though :)

6. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

In that eventuality I'll have a place to keep my coffee warm. :D

But if all else fails, I may get a bigger Peltier cooler or try to watercool the whole shabang, but I don't to spend the money until I have at least tried. Keep it real.

PEACE

7. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

Small update here.

I finally got a chance to get to the Home Depot and get some cutting disks so I could finish up.
    [​IMG]

I pretty much finished rounding out the AMP logo, but I still need to take a file to it to finish it all up real pretty.
    [​IMG]

I also cut the main portion of the MD logo out, but again, I need to take a finer tool to finish it up, lest I ruin my case completely with overzealous cutting. (Sorry for the terrible photo; my camera pretty much sucks)
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I took the ol' Dremel to my front bezel, enlarging the hole to the required size for the soon-to-be-mounted fridge compartment.
    [​IMG]

All pretty boring stuff, but hopefully I can get back to it in earnest this week. More updates as they come.

Again, if anyone has any tips for painting my case (with the green, light green, yellow gradient), I'd love to hear it.

PEACE