1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Xtreme CTX notebook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Apr 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Excellant review as always chaps, but in future would there be a possibility of a battery life 'benchmark'? Just using something like BatteryEater. You can run it in 'Classic' mode to find a minimum battery life using an OpenGL animation, and a maximum from 'Reader' mode which just scrolls through a text file.

I appreciate it would add even more time to the review process, but it's something that I like to see in a notebook review.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Me too actually, altough I know the primary use for this notebook isn't really just office/internet apps, I would like to know how it stands in terms of battery life, wich is, a determing factor in my notebook choise.

Other then that, great review (as allways) of this beast. I wonder when the "notebook" market will catch up (and overtake) the desktop market (in terms of performance)

4. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

I don't understand these.... so you're basically paying absured amounts for an samll desktop computer....that's not upgradable...

I personally think that's is just a competition between these notebook manufacutor so they can hype about how powerful their "laptops" are.... when they really are very small desktops.

I honestly believe that it'll be better if they stuff a X1800 or 7800GT into a 1280x1024, so that it's relatively small, and games can be played at max everything... I mean, an X1800 can't run 1920x 1200 at full everything....

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You've hit the nail on the head but haven't seen it. The whole point of these systems is to have the power of a desktop in a compact form factor that's easy to transport and hassle-free. Rather than a large tower, a forest of cables and discrete peripherals, you can have the whole lot integrated into a sleek package that can be moved around your house, to university, to a friend's house for LANs, wherever.

6. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Another Clevo notebook...

When is dell gonna catch up on gaming notebooks?

7. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

I've "seen" it.

But... uh, is anyone really buying one of these for that reason and that reason alone?

Tell me, how many of bit-tech readers are interested in buying let alone wanting this?

You said something about moving this beast around the house... to game? so, instead of gaming in your room, you game at the kitchen, then living room... and why? what difference is there? so you can game half heartedly while eating your dinner? or game while spending time watching TV? And honestly, I don't find moving a computer (I have mid tower) extremely hard or "cluttering" with wires...

Bottom line is this is impracticle. I'm not saying no one wants it, how many of us are interested in buying this... I mean, by reviewing that 19" beast and that Alienware system, everyone's already sick of these portable desktops... how do I know this? This article has been up for a day, yet there are only a few comments...

So why waste time reviewing this?

I would rather see bit-tech review 7900GT not GTX's since... well, again I believe the majority of the people will buy GT's instead of GTX 512's (becuase of the performance vs. buck... and I'm a cheapo)

Wolfe has just demonstrated what I said above. This is just a competition between the laptop manufactureors so that they can boast about how powerful their "laptops" are when they're portable desktops. Just like the EE's and the FX's... Although spectacular... many of us are not going to own one... although pooky had one...

well... that's all.

bye bye

8. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I too would love to see the battery life on this, with and without the second battery.

9. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

I agree that i dont think that moving it around the house will be the best reason for purchasing one of these.

The reasons for buying this are as said before:

a) You can easily transport it to a friends house and have a Lan where you can both play the latest games. Its always a chew to lug everything around especially if you don't have a car.

b) Game on the move. You can take it on holidays, cafes, on the train. Wear a buisness suit and everyone will think that you look like you're looking at the latest stats on a excel sheet, but secretly you mashing up some n00bzor on BF2 etc.

c) You can show off to other gaming nerds that your laptop is better.

However, i do agree with you. A desktop suits me fine personally.

10. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

Answers
    A) how often is a person who's wealthy enough to buy this to go off to LAN parties regularly?... and regularly enough to consider hulling a mid tower cumbersome.

B) I believe the 19" SLi laptop review stated that these are impossible to use on trains or airlines simply because they're too big... besides, how long is that going to last you away from plug (not sure if trains have plugs)? hour. or hour and a half max? not really going to have time mashing up "n00bzor"'s

C) .... well, I guess that's a good reason.... if you're trying to compensate :)

11. Dadmag

Dadmag What's a Dremel?

Rock will be including a second battery for free from now on, apparently, with the spec reviewed here. This fits in the optical bay. So you could use the CTX for gaming on the move, although you'd have to no-cd patch your games!

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Quite regularly i'd say, its a real pain in the arse lumping my kit to Lans every couple of months, more so now its watercooled and quite heavy to carry up and down stairs, my machien and associated bedding etc for the weekend barely fit in my car, then theres the car journey, its hard to secure all that kit, scratches and stuff happen no matter how careful.

I've considering switching my desktop for of these laptops as I have started going to LANs with my current laptop which only has a 9600 in, forsaking my gaming desktop which makes you think why have a big gaming desktop if you can't take it gaming.

If I could sell my current set up for decent cash I would probably go for that laptop or better specced if I could find it.

Tags: Add Tags