1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Looking to Upgrade from my 6600GT AGP8x

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gunblade, 17 Apr 2006.

1. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

My recent dismal performance in BF2 with the new patches, all kinds of Oblivion problems, and heating issues with the stock cooler...(I think) and no need for a brand new computer...(unless you really convince me it is in fact not worth it).

I have decided to sell cheap to a friend in need; my 6600GT from XFX, and go ahead and take the freebie path and ask for a new video card as a birthday present. Seems worth it to me since I realized how much my recent performance problems have effected me.

I am just simply looking for the best AGP video card solution for gaming. I want to at least play BF2 at medium settings and have distant land on in games like Oblivion. I don't really mind playing fps's at 1024 by 768, but turning on AA or having the ability to up the resolution would be very nice on RTS's, where I really appreciate the visual difference. I would also like to be able to hook up my PC to an HDTV, and have enough power to play HD videos from sites like Gamespot or whereever. I hate it when for example the new HD crysis video starts crapping out on your monitor, really ruins the "wow" factor.

I am not particular on the company either. Frankly with my expierence however with Nvidia as of late...I am leaning towards ATI. But...I doubt there are any X1000 line cards for AGP.

I chose these forums cause you guys are the best, though I might head on over to anandtech if I can't get some good input. I ask because I have no where to start I don't know the differences between the newer cards well enough, and just to get some basic direction would be really helpfull.

Happy Easter!

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The best AGP card you're going to get at this time is the NVIDIA 7800GS; check out Bit-Tech's review of the BFG OC version, which is even faster than stock.

However, it might be worth waiting for Gainward, who are (if what I hear is correct) bringing out an even faster version with more pipes unlocked. No idea on the timescale of that, though...

3. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Jesus, nice.

But I have question. Would a 420watt psu be suffcient?

I have sides the 6600GT:

AMD Athlon 2500+ oc'd to 3200 speeds
    2x512mb Corsiar XMS PC3200 in dual-channel mode
    2 DVD-RW/CDRW drives
    ASUS A7n8x
    Creative Audigy 2
    Wireless Card G/B from linksys

currently with a LOUD >_< 420watt psu as mentioned.

4. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

It's out. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30502. Sold at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800AGP_Series.html.

However, you must consider that a ~250 pound investment in an obsolete Processor architecture (Athlon XP) on an obsolete bus (AGP) is a bit strange. However, if it's not your money, go for it. :thumb:

A generic one? Maybe. :blah: A name brand (Antec, FSP, Tagan, etc.) will be just fine. Tell us the brand. :D

5. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You won't get a much better quality power supply than that - excellent choice :thumb:. It'll run the card just fine.

7. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

True. PCPower and Cooling is an amazing company. However, they are usually VERY expensive. Check out other options first, just as advice.

8. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

seasonic are also good id like to point out :)

9. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:D There's some info in THIS thread. An XP3200+ is still a nice CPU but as you suspect it won't get the most out of an X800XL, 6800GT or similar. If a 7800GS is within your budget then seriously consider selling your existing mobo+CPU and investing in Skt754 which is cheap and even a stock Sempron64_3100+ can beat an AthlonXP3200+! That way you could get Athlon64 architecture and PCI-E, the 7900GT PCI-E sells for a similar price to the 7800GS AGP and is much more powerful. You'd find an o/c'ed 754 Sempron with 7600GT much better than XP3200+ with 7800GS. Also factor in that people are crying out for decent SktA CPUs and mobos so selling rpices can often mean you get a 754 upgrade for free! Food for thought. If you do want an AGP card I'd suggest going for a 6800GT which is close to 7800GS performance but will cost a lot less. AFAIK the best AGP Radeon X1000 series card out there is the X1600Pro but that's let down by low memory bandwidth so you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

10. CJs06

CJs06 What's a Dremel?

You should definately invest in a PCI-Express mobo, because Oblivion is first hand proof that you need the best in order for the game to run and look the best. The FX series and ATI 9 series are over, hehe.

A 7900GT is the best price to performance ratio card on the market right now. But depending on your budget, you may have to opt out for a 7800GS, but dont expect to upgrade any further than that.

Honestly, I would suffer a little longer and save for a new Mobo with PCI-Express preferably a 939 socket, and a decent CPU. That way you can easily upgrade in the future and get a great graphics card.

11. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I know this may sound dumb..

But I honestly never thought of selling my motherboard and CPU and video card. That does seem pretty easy. I understand what you guys are saying and that thread was usefull Austin.

What kind of price should ask for with this:

Asus a7n8x deluxe
    Amd Atholon 2500+ w/barton core
    Swiftech MCX462-V Heatsink <--This is one mother! I would hate to see it go.

The video card though I would sell to a friend. On top of that where would I sell this? Oh and I should mention I am not in the U.k. lol.

Also yeah I would rather go with socket 939 it's not that much more expensive than 754. I am not looking to pay for dual-core though...but what processor/video card should I look for then? I am not looking for the best. I mean anything is going to better than my current set-up.

12. Cirkustanz

Cirkustanz What's a Dremel?

I recently sold an athlonxp 2500+ on ebay for $45. I sold an MSI K7N2Delta for 40 dollars, with two addin cards supporting firewire and sata.

I wish I hadn't sold them, as I could still use them.

I sent you two emails as I have some newer hardware for sale or trade that might interest you. Cheers.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2006
Tags: