1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote access to server from Mac

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wehopeuchoke, 19 Apr 2006.

1. wehopeuchoke

wehopeuchoke What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could help. I have recently set-up a windows 2003 server and would like to be able to remotely access it from my power book. I have installed remote desktop connection for Mac from MS which works great when accessing from home, but i would like to be able to get at my files while I'm out and about.

My network is connected to the internet via a Zoom X5 router/modem on a dynamic IP address, so I have registered with dyndns, and configured a second Netgear router I use as a wireless access point to automatically update the dyndns server as and when my IP changes. This works fine but brings up my router configuration screen when I connect to the IP, how do I get incomming requests to point at the server? In addition I would like to avoid a ready made software solution as 1, I would like to get into the 'nitty-gritty' of configuring the connection for academic purposes and 2, I would like it set so the server is in stand-by mode and only wakes up when a connection is made. I have considered just doing away with the router and having the server access the internet direct through an ethernet adsl modem. But dont really want the server on wasnt on 24/7.

Hope someone can help and that all makes sense.

Cheers.

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

You need to forward the needed ports using the router's configuration page. It will be under "port forwarding" or firewall rules or something. Forward the port you need to the server's internal IP.

3. wehopeuchoke

Cheers :thumb: , I have looked at this but with the fear of sounding dense... how do I find out which port needs to be open for this type of app?

Cheers

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

If it's the remote desktop client you're talking about, it is 3389.

5. wehopeuchoke

Cheers again, opened up that port and pointed it at my server. Still no joy connecting with remote desktop :confused: tried the IP, the DNS address and both with ':3389' in the remote desktop connection window. Dont know what im missing :wallbash:

6. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

To perform this configuration you will need to set up the NAT (Network Address Translation) so that it forwards requests made to your external IP to the IP of the W2K3 server on port 3389. (This will only work on requests made from outside your LAN).

Then you have to enable access to this port externally on the firewall of the router.

I noticed on another forum that on this particular model of router these are two seperate configuration screens and it is impossible to open up specific ports in the firewall. As such this user disabled the firewall all together.

Be careful if you do this, you should install a software firewall on each computer using the router if you disable the firewall on the router itself.