1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I felt the need, Sathy. I expected H20 in FluidXP, but not 80%...
    I have lots of bullets for the gun. The EkWaterBlock showed up today, it's sweet!! Uploading picutres as I type at you..A-few small mods and it's "good to go"..I hope to get the EK-block installed on the BFG 7900GTX this weekend..as well as the BIX radiator installed in the case..it could be a "double-update" weekend..
    Stay-tuned:
    preview:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Apr 2006
  2. modsquad

EkWaterBlocks:

My EkWaterBlock arrived a few days ago. While they are not perfect (some milling-marks) I could not be more satisfied.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the milling-marks I spoke of:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lets take it apart:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Add a touch of green:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and reassemble:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That does-it for now. I will get the block on the video card ASAP..

3. modsquad

Ek block installed

Now the question is "does it fit"..Lets find out.
    [​IMG]
    the card in question: BFG 7900GTX
    The only thing I did to the card was to paint the rear-slot cover black.
    [​IMG]
    lets get to it:
    [​IMG]
    With the stock heatsink and fan removed, it's time for a dose of Arctic Silver Ceramique
    and bolt it up:
    [​IMG]
    Cool, no problems (I will remove the stickers later). You never know, especially with a relatively unknown product like the Ek-block..
    The block is in fact very well designed..Great job Eddy! :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    Bolt that rear slot-cover back on and we are done:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Radiator up next: :dremel:

4. Fahrenheit 541

Fahrenheit 541 What's a Dremel?

EK block

it's fantastic, great looking set-up, I'am very impressed! :clap: :thumb:

5. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

I love the internal bling of that block.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Looks great, the SG-green on the bolts and other thing looks right at home. I'd like to see some performance numbers, but it looks like it'd beat most other blocks out there. Is that a one-slot cooler like the AC one or will it go into the next slot too? Looks like it might just be thin enough but you never can tell from pics alone.

I'd leave those stickers on there, though, if you want any chance of ever having a warrantee. While I'm sure "blocking" the card voids it, I've had no trouble swapping a card I watercooled since the stickers were intact. Maybe carefully pull them off and put them on some glossy thing so you could put them back on the card if the need arises.

7. Fahrenheit 541

Fahrenheit 541 What's a Dremel?

weight problem

do you think there might be a weight issure? :duh:

8. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

That Block is so Fantastic!!

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This block is so goddamn sexay! And the green seems like a perfect match too.
    And about the sticker problem: I think Firehed's idea is good even though if you were in Germany you were screwed as soon as you'd unpack the card... :D

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

me....love.......

11. modsquad

I am a huge fan of these GPU-blocks! True form and function..and to think, three weeks ago I had never heard of EkwaterBlocks the thanks goes to ShoNuff, he discovered them..

As I said before IMO, it is fun to use a product that is a bit unique. Something to talk about at least..In the case of these blocks it is more than unique, it's a well designed, sexy product that could very-well be one of the BEST GPU coolers on the market today..BOLD DECLARATION, I know..This block, in fact Ek's line of GPU-blocks look to be "giant-killers". There deep-channel design, all copper block with the accelerator-plate for the GPU's core all spell great-performance..I would all-but guarantee it!! Also, with the Ek-blocks G1/4" thread, they should work well in a (sacrilege!) big-bore loop as well as my beloved small-bore..

@Firehed: Yet another very good idea! Thanks! I will not mess with the stickers on the 7900-card until I get the machine to post. The EK-FC79 is about 15mm deep, slightly deeper than our AC aquagraFX6800 blocks. But, I would still call it a single-slot-block. Another nice-detail on these blocks is the ability to install your "fittings of choice" from the bottom or top of the unit. Both the copper block and the acrylic top are drilled/threaded for G1/4"..Ek supplies a pair of threaded-plugs for the redundant holes..Did I say I like these blocks alot.. :hehe:

@F541: The EK-FC79 is quite-heavy! I will have a better idea when the video card is installed in the MB's slot and the card bolted to the case. The 7900GTX cards have a dual mounting-plate (which should help) but it could be a problem (another set-back)..We will see..

I had hopes of installing the BIX radiator in the case this weekend, but alas..not to be..
    Next Weekend:

12. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

i dunno when sho got his block but iv had the fcx 1800/1900block for over 2-3 months :) , only downside i would say is the bolt mounting rather than a spring , thumbscrew method as its pretty hard to get perfect contact with the core.

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i personally think the green + copper look is hideous, it just doesnt work for me, i mean, if the block wasnt as sexy standard, then yeah, its just the green seems to stand out to much

im getting an fcx1900 block soon, mainly due to the fact that i saw it in sc4mpi's rig and was like omfg

14. modsquad

You are entitled to your opinion frodo, there is no doubt about that.
    "just the green seems to stand out too much": that was just affect I was looking for. :thumb: The MB has more of the same
    [​IMG]

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i know, but it goes with the motherboard alot better, mainly due to the fact the motherboard is black, and with green it looks sick! (btw i mean good sick not bad sick)

but my main reason for not liking it on the gfx is the fact the gfx card is that manky dull green colour, then youve got zee BUETIFUL copper block, that looks stunning, and then the green bolts, it just doesnt work imo!

btw, just a question, why arent you watercooling the whole mobo? as i see your wc'ing the top fets, but not the chipset or rear fets :S its not like its uber expensive to get a few metal topped alphacool blocks and spray them the same green! infact, it would look pretty sick if you ditched the stock cooler and got some wc going on there!

16. DR_D

DR_D What's a Dremel?

maybe the graphics card block colours will fit when its all put together

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Never realized those blocks are "dual-ported" - that's something I'd really like to see in future AC blocks, instead of needing those rather ugly brass cube things. I'd definately have to consider one of these the next time I'm in the market for a block, even if I plan to keep mine going for as long as possible.

Finally G1/4 threading seems to be more-or-less the standard. Even a lot of the American blocks are switching, since there's no messing with teflon tape and no worries of cracking something from overtightening. Really just AC that's holding on with G1/8, but I'd prefer any of the G/BSPP fittings over the old-American-standard NPT threads.

I think the card will be right at home on that board. I'm wondering what it would look like out of the case, just a card-in-socket photo. Though with that heavy block, it might not be too safe!

edit - heh, post 777 in the thread

18. Mac84

Mac84 What's a Dremel?

Looking excellent. My only gripe is that I find that the green screws or w/e on the water blocks do not match very well with the visible copper inside the block.

19. modsquad

Understood. But, I will not be changing anything. :D

@frodo: my reason for not H20-cooling the complete MB. I would need to have a pair of mosfet coolers as well as a pair of blocks for the nForce chips (which run quite hot). Total of four blocks for complete MB cooling. As I am only using a single 120mm radiator, it might be asking too-much. Another consideration is space. This is a small case (room inside measures 17"x16")..Things are going to get "tight" when all is said and done..
    Some final thoughts on the EkWaterBlock:
    I understand your thinking. It's a pretty block without any changes, and in another project I would probably use it stock. But, for this project (IMO) it would look out of place without a touch of green. Its gives uniformity to the overall MB area of the project. As for the green BFG card, not much I can do. I do think it will tie-in when the card is installed on the MB..

@Firehed: As much a I love Aqua-Computer, there GPU blocks are not up to the standard of the rest of there line. These EkWaterBlocks are good-stuff.. Although (as pointed out by sc4mpi) AC's spring-mounted core is a good idea..
    I would be nervous about adding the video card to the MB as-is..It's heavy!

20. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yeah, tbh, i reckon its highly do-able, and they wouldnt add much heat! so imo theres no worry about doing it

the mosfets chipsets etc dont kick out that much heat, it would just look slick as hell if they were all watercooled with metal topped blocks,s o they looked like the current mosfet block

i personally just dont like the green on copper/lucite, it looks odd, but i do agree when you say it will look quite tasty when its all together!