1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC nVidia Pure Video Hardware Acceleration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kimohw, 5 May 2006.

1. kimohw

kimohw What's a Dremel?

I want to disable the nVidia Pure Video Hardware Acceleration setting, does it do anything in DVD picture quality or it just lows the cpu usage ?

2. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

It is my understanding that Nvidia Purevideo uses the graphics card for its hardware acceleration. It adds better video scaling and de-interlacing so you may find that the picture quality goes down and that the cpu load goes up or stays the same.

There is an option in the Purevideo settings to enable hardware acceleration so just untick this and see what happens.

To get to the settings play something that uses the decoder and an aditional nvidia icon should apear on the right of the taskbar.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. kimohw

kimohw What's a Dremel?

I did that and I didn't see any difference, other than with hardware acceleation enabled, the card get more hotter.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I think it just takes some stress off the CPU by using the GPU instead, but I could be wrong.

5. kimohw

kimohw What's a Dremel?

same cpu usage same quality, the only change the vga card gets hotter when enabled

6. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

Well if you can't see any difference in the picture and you are concerned about your gpu temp then I would dissable the hardware acceleration.

Could I ask what sort of video you are playing. It way be under this case there is vary little for the card to do in terms of improverment.

Chris

7. kimohw

kimohw What's a Dremel?

it is mpeg2 video using it with my DVB-s player

8. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

purevideo only helps when you use the nvidia mpeg 2 decoder.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

when playing MPEG2, my CPU usage goes down 10%, and it hits the card harder. No visible quality change noticed here... just offloads the CPU overhead.

Tags: