1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Ideal Diesel SUV for 100% Biodiesel?

Discussion in 'General' started by OneSeventeen, 5 May 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

So I'm getting big ont he biodiesel thing, not because of the environment or gas prices, but because I think it would be awsome to be able to drink the fuel powering my car.

(okay, it's environment and gas prices, but it's still cool that it is less toxic than table salt!)

I'd like to be able to tow jet-skis, small boats, etc. I'd also like to be able to take the vehicle off road, but don't care to climb up mountains with it.

Above all, I'd like it to be something older that I can hopefully get for cheap, and something that can easily be outfitted for 100% Biodiesel (that I would make myself).

Any tips?

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Technically, table salt is pretty darn toxic for what it is, but otherwise...

I dont know any particular automobile that would work best, but as I understand it, you will have to do a conversion to make it work. Google will probably provide more assistance than I ever can.

3. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

euhm, Biodiesel is refined vegetable oil, it has undergone a treatment comparable with the treatment oil gets to get gasoline andor diesel,

biodiesel itself is highly agressive,
    the thing you seem to want is Straight vetgetable oil (SVO)

SVO is what you get from pressing the plants, that can be used in diesels with the proper equipment, or mixed with diesel,

i run my car on about 1/3 SVO ( rapeseed ) and 2/3 regular diesel. 100% seems to be possible but that seems to be very heavy on the fuel pump

my car is a classic diesel with a turbo,
    if you want to run your car on SVO, try not to get a commonrail high pressure injection system as these systems are very likely to get killed by the high viscosity,

i've got a link for a forum i get a lot of information off, but it's in dutch and mainly lists cars from the european market ( www.ppo.nu )

Edit:

I've checked the forum for a picture,
    here is a link to the tread,
    ( http://www.ppo.nu/viewtopic.php?t=541 )

in the first post, left picture, the 2 cups, the left cup is normal SVO, the right cup seems to be biodiesel.

wouldn't drink it if it does that to a cup :p

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wonder if it would be possible to mix ethanol with SVO? Balance out the mixture viscosity and keep it entirely "green".

5. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Those look like styrofoam cups. Im pretty sure Fuel (Gasoline I know, Diesel im not so sure) will disolve styrofoam (how napalm is made).

6. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

normal diesel is hardly agressive, that's why a lot of older diesel cars have problems with biodiesel, the "vanilla" rubber from the fuel system dissolves and settles in/around the injection system/pump or starts leaking

the cups are Polystyrene if i recall correctly from other posts he has made about this setup ( home made viscosity measurement )

the post also mentioned the biodiesel mistreated the Polyethylene table cover

The mixing with ethanol sounds interesting, might do some googling this week, might even keep you informed :D

At the moment i'm testing with some acetone in my fuel (0,15%)
    idea is this stuff breaks the surface tension and makes for a better mix with smaller particles, ends up in adding 100 mL in my 65 L tank ...

seen some graphs that claim about 20% profit with that concentration, sounds a lot to me but can't find anything serious or seemingly reliable online, just took some analytical acetone at work and try for 2 months ... sould give an indication :D

Last edited: 7 May 2006
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Acetone will be more likely than ethanol to vapourise, but it is a longer chain carbon backbone to burn.
    Your best addition would be propan-diol, with two alcohol groups, or triol with 3, and a propane chain but I doubt that's as easily commercially avaliable.

I'd love to lab test something like this, get optimum ratios etc

8. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

A Suburban is the only diesel SUV you can easily find in the US. I'm not a huge fan of the 6.5 or 6.2 but your options are limited. A Jeep Cherokee diesel would be nice. A 4 cyl Cummins would fit. You'd need a custom bellhousing to fit the Jeep transmission. It wouldn't be a simple conversion though.

9. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

well, probably hijacking a tread now but here it goes:

Last friday i refueled after the acetone addition, usage has been 6.6 L/100 ( 15,1 km/L ) against a normal 6.8 L/100 km ( 14,6 km/ L ),
    I think the amount used at the moment is far to small to say acetone does that ... ( 3-4% profit) but at least it is nice to see it doesnt rape the mileage :)

i added new acetone after refueling to keep the concentration at the same level ( 0,15% )

Tags: