1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sky rolls out HD on May 22

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 May 2006.

1. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

My mistake, i've been working with cab/sat channels too long - terrestrial commercial channels are allowed no more than 7min per hour average with a maximum of 8 in peak.

Commercial satellite channels are allowed 9 min per hour on average, not exceeding 12 min in peak.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/advertising/rules/rules.pdf

In this, promos for other shows are NOT counted, only spots advertising commercial products/services outside the current channel you're watching. So even if the break is 5 min long, it will only contain 3min of commercials (on cab/sat, 2min on terrestrial).

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

So this applys to people who are licensed by ofcom

Which doesnt mean all digital channels have to be ...

3. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

All channels broadcasting on Sky, terrestrial and cable in the UK have to apply for a broadcasting license, and are thus governed by the rules of OFCOM.

EDIT: That includes DTT and all DTH platforms with channels originating from within the UK.

Which channels would you think don't have a license?

4. yahooadam

actually, as adverts generally arent shown at night, or are much much shorter, thats probably how they make up the average

5. korben

korben What's a Dremel?

Exactly. If a channel airs 12min per hour during peak, then 6 min during off peak will balance it. Although most channels are only fully sold out during peak months such as the run up to Christmas, and can run 2-3 min per hour during the night.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've noticed for at least the last month that they've already got some channels in place for HD (e.g. Sky One HD & Sky Movies 9/10 HD).

So despite the fact that they're transmitting programs, since no will have a HD box until May 22, no-one can watch these channels? :confused:

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

NTL Cable alraedy have HD in place, so whoever has Cable and a HD box can view HD channels, which are also shown on SKY, I suppose SKY probably actually transmit over satellete for testing purposes.

8. yahooadam

havent some people had test samples of the SKY+HD boxes ??

9. hodgei

hodgei What's a Dremel?

If you are upgrading from Sky+ to Sky.HD then you drop the £10 Sky+ charge - and pay the £10 Sky.HD charge instead...

MrWillyWonka said:
    "It also means I need an 8 way dish since the HD box is a plus box. (already have a + and two normal boxes in the house)."

Are you going to keep the Sky+ ? If so, it must cost a fortune to run your system - 4 Sky subs + Sky+ + Sky.HD

Sky.HD normally replaces your Sky+ box...

10. MrWillyWonka

It costs £35 for the normal suscription for the SKY+ downstairs, another £10 for my bro and another £10 for me so thats £55 in total/mo. When I get the SKYHD+ it should be the same price, all we need to pay for is the SKYHD box to replace my standard box and a new dish.

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ahh, so you're keeping the Sky+, Taking on HD and Keeping your brothers box - so you'll need 5 outputs from the dish.

Sooo - you won't need a new dish... You just need an LNB swap - Quad for Octo.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes some staff did.

I don't have an HD ready TV so didn't take part in the trial.

13. MrWillyWonka

That's what I thought too... except that the sky man that came over recently to sort a + problem said that I needed a new dish. Suppose he was avoiding the jargon so that I didn't ask questions!

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think he may be correct (at the moment at least) Sky are just trialing some octo LNB's, but I'm sure they are not available for sale just yet.

I'll check when I get in work tomorrow.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, sorry, I didnt see your original calculation was for 1080i which was already in 30fps. I should have worked it out from base like this to start with.

I'd still rather a 720p over 1080i because interlaced stuff on a non-crt just looks horrid.

Tags: Add Tags