1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Powerbook and MacBook Owners: How HOT Do You Get?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by mookboy, 4 May 2006.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

So I went to John Lewis today to fiddle with a MacBook Pro prior to purchase, and when I ran my finger over the slim horizontal, upper surface between the keyboard and the screen, my flesh began to smoulder and drip from the incredible heat.

Ok so I made the last bit up, but MAN that ****er was HOT! I touched the same area on the Powerbook sitting next to it and it was just as hot. We're talking as hot as a radiator on full blast.

In comparison my iBook is barely warm in the same area. Is this typical? I'm just asking as I don't fancy singing my flesh everytime I want to turn the volume up and down...

...and MacBook owners. How hot is the bottom of the laptop? I ask as I use my iBook propped between my thighs (oooo-er) and my stomach whilst lying down on the bed and I don't want a cauterized stomach.

2. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

It gets hot up there because most of the heat created is vented out just underneath where there's a gap between the screen hinge and bottom section of the laptop. My PowerBook has odd periods where it can be sat idling away only showing the desktop and when I pick it up it'll be boiling hot, whilst if I'm using it for general things, like now for example, it's almost cold to the touch.

3. Dirge

Dirge What's a Dremel?

I would imagine those machines are on continuously all day. It makes sense that they get hot, though I would expect them to throttle back while idle.

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

When idle its pretty cool at full tilt it gets warm but not uncomfortably so.

5. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

the heat issue with the macbooks is that apple applies WAY yoo much thermal goop and it effectively insulates the processer from the heatsink. pop the sucker apart and clean off the garbage thats in there and replace it wit the correct amount of arctic silver 5 and your temps will literally drop 30C.
    [click here for step-by-step guide with pics]

and with the powerbooks, depending on how old it is, it might need new thermal paste as well. apple had a crop of notebooks where they used inferior paste that burned out after a while and needs to be replaced.

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Yeah but.. thats voiding the warranty. I know I wouldn't want to void the warranty on a laptop, especially an apple one.

Pc's aren't too bad because you can replace a specific part if something goes wrong, and I supposed thats true with laptops, but its still a bit iffy imo.

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

The guy(something awfull forums) who opened his up said it dosent, as it only opens up the keyboard section and not the full internals.

Also i donno why but i also grabbed myself the mackbook service manual....weird that i dont actually own a mac.

8. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Hmm.. interesting :D

9. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

if you can do it properly, apple will never be able to prove that you did indeed take it apart.

besides, taking the keyboard off is standard procedure anyway. there are quick release tabs holding it on.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

"as it only opens up the keyboard section and not the full internals"

you're removing the logic board - how exactly does that NOT count as full internals!?

11. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

you dont though.. you just remove the heatsink.... well maybe...

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Slight thread hijack but I'm looking to get a mac (never really had any experience with macs), I'm looking for functionality rather than power and I'd rather get a cool laptop. So which one should I go for if I want it cool?

13. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

My Powerbook gets hot, but never so hot that I can't have it on my lap. It's just a bit warm and probably isn't doing my semen any good but aside from that it's fine. Never been a problem. I think my iBook was slightly cooler, but still a bit on the warm side.

I like iBooks. Obviously the Powerbooks are nicer, but you pay a LOT more for that. For value, I think iBooks are amazing. However, word on the street is that there might be an Apple MacBook Vanilla (non-pro) released on Tuesday. Perhaps. So that would be worth looking at, as sometimes I found my iBook was a little under-powered. But for a simple computer for a lovely OS and some easy stuff (Internet, MSN, Word processing etc) iBooks are great :)

14. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Doing exactly what you describe as a write this post :) i have it on a duvet however, I can feel the warmth through the duvet and the fan has come on (first time ive ever heard it) being as its sitting on the duvet with no clearance etc, its also playing WoW at the same time too so that may be a factor. Perfectly bareable unless you have it directly on your legs doing some hard work i guess.

*edit* Macbook Pro btw *edit*

15. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

If you can find a modern laptop that doesnt get warm I would be very surprised.

As for just removing the keyboard to get to the heat sinks , well seeing as the heatsinks are on the bottom of the motherboard you are approaching it from the wrong end ;)

You need to remove a lot of the chassis to get to it.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

was playing with a powerbook G4 this morning (1am-5am). It's a friends who lives upstairs, apart from being exceptionally slow it did get very hot on the 'ol lap.

Now it's not full of crap and as far as i could see it was a fresh install. Is it normal to have lag when typing in word or mac:msn. Mac MSN is also cool with it's personal and corporate tabs mc thing.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ok, now that I can make an educated statement on the fact...

on battery, it seems to stay fairly cool, and definitely usable. When plugged it in, it seems warmer, although still usable if you don't mind being tethered. This is at pretty low load though, not while doing a crazy photoshop or some mobile bootcamp'd gaming.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

where as i had **** performance on battery and lag beyond bah

19. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Yep mine gets hot there. Based on what everyone here has said I think firstly it's fair to assume it's "supposed" to get hot in that area and is built within tolerances for that. Secondly out of powerbook / macbook pro, get the MBP, no contest. I've got a PB but used both, and there is no reason on earth to get a powerbook at this point. Everything will eventually be loads faster, and even stuff that's running under Rosetta is near as dammit as fast as using the PowerBook straight up. I'm currently in the process of trying to get Apple to swap me a MacBook Pro (with a good reason that is too long to usefully explain here) but the query just seems to be getting passed up and up the management chain, and I'm probably just eventually gonna hit a wall of someone saying no. But everyone cross your fingers for me and I promise not to gloat too much if I manage it. :hehe:

AH

20. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

After using my MBP for bit last night, I am really scared by how hot it gets. After installing HL2, the underside was too hot to comfortably touch, and it remained extremely hot whilst playing too. Even when idle in OS X it seems far too hot to ever be practical as a genuine lap-based computer - I'll have to use it some more before I'm sure though. I'm really glad I kept my iCurve when I sold off my iBook as it's going to be an essential piece of kit when I want to sit in bed and do some surfing or Football Manager-ing.

Tags: