1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it MySpace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 6 May 2006.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

My guess is that a lot of the time they are using poor quality webcams to take the shots, seeing as they don't need anything particularily high-res, and thus the monochrome state of their pictures is just down to how cheap the cam was :p

<A88>

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

couldn't have put it better! what REALLY does my nut it all the random "arty" backgrounds that they all have! or worst of all people that switch the sides the information is displayed on, yes it looks different, but when different goes against the users mental model of myspace then its pointless!

3. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I used to hate myspace, just considered it to be full of emo or chav sterotypes.
    Few friends got it, my cousin in america and all her friends have it and i got bugged into creating account.
    And thats when it started...
    I just added some pics of myself, a bit of info then added a video of me skiing, a bands song, changed the colours...
    Im not working towards a high friend count, only people i know or bands i like are my 'friends' i just leave it now, sometimes talking with friends of friends before i get there msn address.
    Dislikes: stupid colour co-ordination, emo style pictures, commenting as if it were msn. etc

myspace:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=27441516
    check out myskiing video xD

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

5. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

The internet is just a scary place now days... Thank god I dont want to and I am to lazzy to make a myspace..*but those snowboard movies I have might give me a lot of new friends yeay! :rolleyes:* sarcasm ...

Anyways, the article was great, love to read your work Wil! :D

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hate to disappoint you but it was Chris Caines ;)

<A88>

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

oww im such a little emo chavvy **** whore myspace using faggot!!! owww yeah

www.myspace.com/wearenottodiealone

yeah... im emo! not.... (no matter how EMO that url is, i cant change it :( and it was chosen by my mate)

i use myspace mainly in college cause its the only real way to talk to people if their in a different class as theyve blocked msn etc

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Tried to sit this one out on the fence, but it's no good.... I am falling off on the "What's the bloody point.." side. Dunno.. maybe I'm just old. :hehe: It's just that most My Space sites, and in fact, most homepages of any kind, tend to be utterly pointless, boring, and very badly designed. There's nothing of any worth on most of them, and life's too short to waste it reading about someone else's day/life/problems/desires (delete as appropriate).

Then again... there's something voyeuristic, and compelling about it.

The jury is out.

However.. Mrs Pook is a blogaholic in the extreme. Click here to see what I mean

I honestly don't understand how she finds the time. It's all I can do to fall into bed after a hard day's work lately... Kids today huh? (sheesh)... I can remember when our Dad brought us all up in a crisp packet, on a wage of 5p a month.... we didn't have MySpace then I'll tell you.... you all need a good spell in the army... Never did me any harm...

9. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

I think the reason people willing to say so much of myspace/LJ/whatever else is because of the disconnection from peoples reaction to it - they did a study a few years ago about how much people were willing to share about themselves, comparing face to face, over the phone and via messaging programs.

People share least face to face, a bit more over the phone, and by far the most via messaging programs. When you tell someone something face to face, it's rather hard for them to hide their reactions to it, whereas via a messenger your visible reaction is whatever you choose to type. Thus, people are willing to share more controversial stuff, because they don't see the "Oh my god, you sick twisted *******" face you pull after reading what they just wrote.

Obviously that doesn't directly cross over to myspace accounts, but it's probably part of the reason people say so much on them.

10. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I'm doing an experiment.

After reading this article I decided to choose a random friend of my friend (possibly the most emo guy you have ever met; has about 70 MySpace friends) and see just how much I can find out about him.

No I'm not a stalker. I am making a point.

Anyone agree with me?

_C

11. Canadian_minx

Canadian_minx What's a Dremel?

Good luck Double_C! :rock:

12. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

The day Myspace allows for freecoded sites I just might consider making one as clean, crisp, pristene, dare I say virgin? as I can.......

but then again it will be just so people will quit bugging me to make one

:thumbsup: double_c love to hear it. you could document this and write a psychology paper on it if it reveals allot :p

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Last edited: 8 May 2006
  14. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Right I'll get started as soon as my exams are over. Damn standard grade french tomorrow :grrr:

15. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

16. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

I wonder if you guys have heard about the thirteen year old girl from Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. She's a sweet little grade 8 student who met her 23 year old boyfriend at VampireFreaks.com, and then then after her parents wouldn't aprove she decided to murder her entire family. Kinda makes you think how messed up people can get if you decide to let them surf the internet unchecked.

link

17. Stuey

<-- Hypocrite

I just couldn't resist!

18. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

I'd say it's more about how messed up people can get if you let them go unchecked full stop. Sure, the internet is one thing that can can act as a catalyst for that, but so are movies, books, friends, and the inside of peoples heads.

Parents should have an idea of what their children are doing online just as they should offline - not watch and record everything they're doing, but pay enough attention so that they can catch stuff like this.

19. Stuey

I agree with daxar, buuuut, it's so much easier to moniter a child when they're playing outdoors, or engaging in an indoor activity. When a child is on the computer, they can easily mask their activities. It is also often the case these days that children are more computer literate than their parents.

It took a while before my parents understood that IMs were not the children-snatching chat rooms they kept hearing about on TV. I can't even successfully convey to them the purpose of these forums.

These days, with text messages and photo messaging and IMs and My Space, it's very hard to moniter someone. Parents are too trusting of their children. Right now I'm on my parents' computer, which was in the same place when me and my sister started junior high 12 years ago - in the dining room. A centrally located computer allowed us just enough privacy for us to talk to our friends via IM or email. These days, with computers being so affordable, it's common for teens and pre-teens to have one in their bedroom, often with an internet connection. It's very easy to blame the parents, but from an objective point of view, the internet won't make a sane person do insane things, but it might motivate a whacko enough to just slip over the edge.

20. Crim

Crim What's a Dremel?

Mother-Goose just from looking at your Myspace I was able to get the info I needed to find your telephone number listed under your Dads name and a map to your house (although this COULD be wrong, it's probably right).

I know what you look like and that you don't have a girlfriend. By the looks of things you'd probably quite like one.

I know where you went to University, the course you studied and what the course involved. Your more than a little proud of your Qualifications (which is fair enough) and are happy for people to know it.

Of course I also know all your favourite authors, movies and musical artists.

You respect Richard Branson for what he has achieved and how he managed it and perhaps even have read and re-read his autobiography for pointers.

Your a fan of formula 1

I could go on and on but 15 minutes is more than enough time to snoop around. Point is, you don't think your giving away much but you are. I accept much of what I said is guess work but educated guesses at least.

Tags: Add Tags