1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding White Vinyl IBM laptop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dingledorph, 4 May 2006.

1. dingledorph

dingledorph What's a Dremel?

I've had an old IBM Thinkpad A20m laptop laying around for ages. So the other day i decided to try to do something about the bulky, in my opinion ugly, look. I looked into painting it, but it seemed like an extensive and bit expensive project.
    So i went to an ordinary paint store an got some white vinyl for decoration and stuck it on my laptop. I think the outcome i fairly nice although I'm properly going to give it one more try (maybe in gold :D ).

Unfortunately i didn't take any before pics but i found some on google.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

btw. it runs with UbuntuLite

/dingledorph

2. windwakerfan

windwakerfan Banned

I remember reading my Maxium pc extreme mod book, and they worked with vinyl. Only that, they submerge it in clear coat, wait a couple of days, then grab one of those real soft electric sanders then sand it, then applied a rubbing compound and polishing gaze, and it totally looked like the vinyl was actually painted on.

I'm trying this with my next case mod. This is not a command,this is a suggestion, so please, if your vivyl gets screwed up by doing this then please don't get mad at me.

3. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Haha. It's a business laptop for stormtroopers. Very Interesting.

4. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

wow - does it look as good close up as it does in the pics?

5. dingledorph

dingledorph What's a Dremel?

Yes sir! :rock:

Actually it does. I was afraid that there would be air pockets all over the place, but it was surprisingly easy to put on without making those nasty bubbles.