1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Question Regarding Building a new rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shpoon, 8 May 2006.

1. Shpoon

Shpoon What's a Dremel?

So, I've got this question...I'm about to build a new computer, and I'm a little curious of how to do this....

On other builds, it's straight forward, I take the mobo, CPU, video card, and a stick of RAM, boot it outside of the case, make sure it's all working, and then stick it in the case, flash the BIOS (if needed), install a HD and OS, and then once that's all done, I install all other devices needed....

Now, this is my first time building a new computer with WC being put in at the beginning, so when should the WC parts be put on?

Thanks

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

best to check out the WC(extreme cooling) forums really, but basically I would go for:
    -build pc with all bits as before and run on air (if you have a stock cooler or another that will fit) to make sure its all working
    - set up your water loop, making sure you have all the right parts, lengths of tubing, double and triple check all your connections (ie. threads - barb) and then slowly start filling her up to check for leaks
    - after having run both the computer and the watercooling (only really need to test pump, wouldnt worry about the fans on the rad unless you want to test them too!) (note2. leak testing over 24hrs is also a pretty nice thought imo!) put the watercooling in the case with all your parts in it, whilste I would make sure to only have the essentials in there (mobo, cpu, gfx card) whilst installing to give you as much space as possible!
    ...then again I have only helped my mate set one up once, so I guess im a n00b myself!

3. Shpoon

Shpoon What's a Dremel?

Ya, I was just bothered by having then to remove the stock HS and fans and clean them, then reapply AS5 or whatever >.<

Btw, is 1/2" too big for a ATX case? (Say cooling GPU, CPU and chipset). Or with care could it all fit in nicely?

*Sigh, second topic moved in last 3 days...I suck at finding the right section :duh:

Last edited: 8 May 2006
Tags: