1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 1/2 tubing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xdarklordx, 11 May 2006.

1. xdarklordx

xdarklordx What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if I where to use 1/2 tubing would cool my cpu better then using 1/4 tubing?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In one word: no.

It depends on a combination of factors. Get the right block and the right size radiator, and 1/4" tubing will outperform a system with, say, 1/2" tubing but a poor block with too small a radiator and a pump too weak to provide the flow that that block might be designed for.

There have been many heated discussions about whether big bore tubing is better than small bore tubing. Some of those get quite passionate, heated, irrational and even personal. Generally small-bore systems are designed for mainly quiet cooling, while big-bore systems are designed for mainly overclocking, but in reality there is little difference in performance if both systems are well designed.

3. xdarklordx

Will i have the exos 1 on my computer right now and it is using 1/4 tubing and they koolance makes a fitting to go from 1/4 to 1/2 and i just wanted to see if it would help. But i guess it would not help so thanks.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It wouldn't, really, because all your components would still be geared to 1/4" diameter tubing, so the constrictions remain. You'd have to change the block, but also probably the internals of the Exos and possibly uprate the pump to see a real benefit.

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

What Nexxo said really.
    The best of 1/4 and 1/2 setups, will easily perform higher and lower than each other.
    Reason? Case/ambient air temp also affect things more than you'd guess in most cases.

Best thing to do, is do what you want to do. ;)

6. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

using 1/2 line in a 1/4 in set up just puts un-need constrants on your waters flow, its moving from a small tube, then having to fill the larger one, then slowing down as it goes through your stepdown connector, into your 1/4 block. You performance will not get better.
    Insted you have created a loop with a lot of potential to leak because of the unneed connections.

1/4" or 1/2" is really down to what blocks, rads, and pumps you use just like Nexxo said. some things work better with 1/2" some work better with 1/4"

The argument of Big bore v/s small is stupid, it really just depends on what your doing and what your using. You should stick with your 1/4" for now.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Done both, got the same temps. I like small bore for routing concers, though most of my rigs have been 1/2 or 5/8. Just what I had at the time.

Made my own this go round, we'll see what it's capable of soon enough...

8. xdarklordx

will thanks for the help guys. I have decided that im going to keep with the 1/4 tubing for now. im saving up right now to get a new case and new internal water cooling kit that is 1/2.

Thanks

Tags: