1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Turn your £79 chip into an Extreme Edition beater

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 May 2006.

1. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Ditto - for that much less I could easily be tempted to the dark side...

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

* Intel Pentium D 805
    * Tagan i-Xeye 480 W PSU
    * Asus P5WD2-E Premium
    * OCZ DDR2-800 (2x 512 MB)
    * 2x Western Digital WD160
    * GeForce 7800 GTX
    * Gigabyte DVD-Rom 16x

That's going from page 14. Pity I don't have time tonight to read the whole article.

EDIT: Going from Overclockers.co.uk, for the CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU it comes to around £500. Which is still cheaper than the FX-60...

Last edited: 11 May 2006
  3. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

the article seems to indicate the 805's are cheap to get people hooked on dual core. but I was under the impression it was becouse these were chips that failed testing at the factory and so were underclocked? In which case getting this kind of oc is luck of the draw.

of course I have to mention that i plan to play the lottery and buy one myself, for the first time oc experience. at that price I won't be too upset if I fry it.

4. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

This isnt luck, this CPU is the shizzle ;)

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

45 Pages? What a joke. THG has been excessive in the past, but this is stupidity brought to new heights. Now, as to performance, while dual cores at 4.1 may be fast, i know for a fact that my 3200+ 0515 can take the 805's pants for a run @ 2.95, with ram in tow.

6. asteroth

asteroth What's a Dremel?

nyer... you cant really froth at the mouth for a % overclock, the chips are probaly just higher specced downclocked chips. better to do the happy dance for the highest speed achieved no matter the chip. budget not withstanding of course :D

7. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

can't believe anyone actually read the whole thing. clicking through 45 pages of ads with one paragraph on each page... na.

8. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Someone drop a thread in if they attain this result!

Would be very interested in seeing the results!

9. koola

koola Minimodder

I'll let you lot know as I've just ordered a whole new system in the hope of 4.10GHz :D

10. WarningFromSpace

WarningFromSpace What's a Dremel?

Dont forget if you want the 4ghz your going to have to buy a good water cooling kit which will cost you a nice bit of change while the chip still runs at 50C

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yeah my 530J does that too. Gotta love Press'hot

12. Mr Sniper

Mr Sniper What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the spec lazlow, with the amount of pages in the article i gave up looking. It felt like a needle in a haystack.

I'm seriously considering buying this kit, its well worth the money even at 3.8Ghz. I know you would be spending alot of money on the RAM but you wouldnt be left with useless ram afterwards if your willing to use it within your next upgrade. And for a uni student like myself (well, soon to be) i think its quite a sensible option.

I've had a good look around XS and alot of people have been able to get close to the 4.1Ghz mark, some on air aswell. It does come down to the chip slightly when its the heat but they went on about lapping the top of the heatsink (If your not familar with the Intel heat strink on top don't be alarmed, nor was i until i read a bit further). On a scale of 1-10 how much would you guys recommand trying this?

Also to add to this, you think the new corsair watercooling system would be up to the job for this puppy?

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  13. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

No you dont lol drop it at 200bus, on some pc3200 and job done as long as the CPU can manage it, seems that 80% do 3.8ghz dual no probs, most do 4ghz on air

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I would definitely be interested in seeing results of OCing this chip with the new Corsair kit... 4GHz would be grand, but even 3.6/3.8 would be OK.

The power draw of that chip leaves me a little concerned, however... ;)

Tags: Add Tags