1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News We get to grips with the Gears of War

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Soooooo can't wait for the end of this year. LOADSA stuff coming that I want.

I like the fact that Epic aren't making it pure squad based, and I hope they improve on the original video where they hid from cover.

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Aye, I downloaded the trailer on Xbox Marketplace and it's stunning, to say the least. I'll have a go at the demo when it come sout and will probably buy it if I like the demo enough. Can't base a game off of visuals and hype you know....I rarely even play Ghost Recon anymore...

4. fresnono

fresnono What's a Dremel?

Microsoft sides with Nintendo in fight vs Sony
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6051100612.html
    quote:
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O) sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp.(6758.T), saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

The bad blood between Sony and Microsoft in the fight for dominance in the nearly $30 billion video game industry has escalated over the last few days, with both sides trading barbs at the E3 Expo, the video game industry's annual trade show.

Microsoft entered the next-generation game console market first with its Xbox 360 last November.

Sony aims to extend its market leadership with its upcoming PS3, while Nintendo plans to offer a new game machine called Wii in the fourth quarter.

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Microsoft predicted on Tuesday it will have 10 million Xbox 360 consoles in the market before Sony launches the PS3. The high-end Xbox 360 sells for $399, but it does not include a built-in high-definition DVD video player that comes with Sony's PS3.

Sony plans to sell a premium PS3 model for $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17, and Nintendo has not yet disclosed pricing for Wii.

Wii comes equipped with motion sensitive controllers to allow users to mimic the motion of wielding a sword or swinging a tennis racket.

Moore then turned pitchman for Nintendo's Wii, the latest offering from the Japanese company that once dominated the video game industry.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

"We have 100 percent market share of the next-generation, and their job is to take that from us," said Moore.

"When I think on everything that we've got going right now that is real versus what Sony promises to do six, seven months from now, obviously we feel very good about where we stand."

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Despite Microsoft's head start with the Xbox 360, the software giant still faces an uphill climb in Sony and Nintendo's home turf.

Microsoft received a tepid response to its Xbox 360 debut in Japan and demand fell short of expectations during last year's holiday season when it sold about 100,000 machines.

The company introduced a competitively priced console in Japan, but some of its game titles did not appeal to Japanese gamers. Moore expects upcoming role-playing games like "Lost Odyssey" and "Blue Dragon" from the creator of the popular "Final Fantasy" series to do well in Japan.

"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

5. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Chainsaw in the end of the gun, brutal..i love it.

Ice

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Maybe I'll finally have a reason to rent a 360. Up to hearing about this, no game's really interested me. Hypothetically Oblivion, but the PC version is higher quality and I can now run it at quite respectable settings. Anyways, I'm quite psyched for the UE3-based games, and by the sounds of it, rightly so.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

sounds pretty sweet to me

but with all those gfx effects, will the 360 be able to handle it well ...

8. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

er, its made for it. Seriously, what do YOU think?

9. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Urm i think the Xbox 360 has got a load more to come, u expect the second generation games to make it struggle? Look at how much they pulled out of the original Xbox in Halo 2, which looked pretty good. Give another 3 yrs, then we might see Xbox 360 hitting it's peak.

But with the PS3's 7 cores, mayb it will have overtaken it by then. (Let themselves down with keeping the lousy controller design though).

10. logan

logan flashback!

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I lost a bit of interest in gears f war when I found out it was a 3rd person shooter a while ago, I never liked the way SOCOM on the PS2 played, I always seemed to focus in on my character and end up not spotting enemies so well.

But this game mechanic how the cover works seems to be a really cool idea, kind of like Full Spectrum Warrior, but you have more control over a single character and a bit less control over you other units. Sounds cool to me, I may have to check it out.

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

gamplay looks ok

graphics dont look amazingly special, a bit better then source

360, well cant be extactic about the platform

13. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Nice nice and nice. That is the only thing I can say. It looks amazing. With every detail in the game....makes me want to buy a 360 when I catch enough cash. Not likely though

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This could well be a game that makes me want to buy a 360... :D

15. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

looks cool, any idea if its online play at all using the same style of gameplay? also is it only for xbox360 or multiformat?

Tags: Add Tags