1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MacBooks

Discussion in 'Software' started by adam197, 16 May 2006.

1. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

So do I :(

How they get away with charging extra for black I'll never know.

3. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Macbook pro's got a speed bump too , 2.0ghz or 2.16ghz models only now.

Got to annoy those who paid the £300 for the extra 0.16ghz .

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Nice. Not bad specs either, for the price.

The only thing that worries me about them is the case - looks awesome new, but is it the same super-tough polycarb that they make nano's out of? You can almost hear the angry mob of clutzes that can't look after their gear picking up their class action pitchforks already. ;)

Edit deux: £128 more for an extra 20Gb of HDD and a black case? Hmmm. The upgrade from 60Gb to 80Gb on a WMB is only forty quid; which means that the BMB case is allegedly worth £80 more than the WMB...

Last edited: 16 May 2006
  5. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

Oops.. I may have just ordered one :D

1.83Ghz Core Duo in white. Upgraded to 1GB of RAM and 80GB hard drive, plus a connector for plugging it into the TV. £750 with my university education discount. :rock: :rock: :rock:

6. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Nobody seems to complain about the GMA950? I mean, sure, most laptops at this price range use integrated, but many also use dedicated chips (albiet slower ones).

Apple promises compadibility with monitors up to 23" (their own, which is 1920x1200), but can the chip actually power something that big? Can it even play HD back with a consistantly watchable framerate?

It's also a memory drain.

I really like the Macbook though. Small, stylish, dual booting, and competitivly priced, but the graphics is a huge turnoff.

7. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

The GMA950 is optimised for video stuff - even the 1.6Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini can play HD video with no problem. And Apple specifically says on the tech specs that the Mini-DVI out port can drive displays up to 1920x1200. Why on earth would they say it can do that if it can't?

The integrated graphics is only really a turnoff for harcore gamers. Apple know their market, and they know that a lot of people who buy Macs don't care about gaming (I'm one of them). For people who really want to play games on their Mac laptop, they have the MacBook Pro.

I'm really, really impressed with the MacBook. They are just about perfect.

8. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

the single reason i will praise and support mac until the day i die. now beacuse they have shiny widescreen monitors (which make me drool), nor because they are better head-turners than a naked angelina jolie. its the little things.

scroll down the page a lil, to the features at the bottom, and look at the 'magsafe power adaptor'

thats possibly the greatest invention i have ever seen. i have lost count of the number of times i have tripped my ps2 controller cable, pc power cords, lappy power cords.

yes, i'm messy and clumsy, but at least not it wont cost me thousands of dollars when i trip.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

You're crazy :D Revision A apple stuff is always a no-no and in a few months they'll probably be 80gig and 2.0ghz as standard! :)

10. JRY

JRY What's a Dremel?

WoW...really like the black macbook.
    Solar, with the student discount, that's a great price!!!

EDIT:
    yea, if only they would quickly have a fix for the annoying whine and maybe a few of the other little issues, my MBP would be perfect.

well...Solar still got it at an amazing price. And if he really wants it now, no point waiting cause technology is always being outdated in a few mths time anyway.

11. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

Yes.. but I finish uni in a month, so I wouldn't be able to get the discount if I waited. And I need a laptop now, dammit! I'm guessing they will have got many of the potential issues out of the way with the MBP anyway. We shall see! :D

12. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

just had a baby so money's a little tight right now - but I need to get one of these.....

My birthday is in August - I WILL have one by then.....

13. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

iBook @ £500 + PC @ £500 = MacBook :D

Im trying to hold off until late summer when hopefully there will be an educational offer (£100 off iPod like last year would be nice) though at £643/£773/£884, thats alot of Mac per £.

Also I have to see one in the flesh. The black looks nice but £100 premium :s

I also like the magnetic latch. The latch was the problem with my iBook, that I had to get replaced, but I cant see much going wrong with a magnetic latch.

The MBP prices are also down, and no more 1.83 version.

Solar are you on AN by any chance?

14. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

AN?

EDIT: Oh, AppleNova. Yes. My name on there is j4mie though.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Hehe, that's cool. Wasn't having a go :D :thumb:

How'd you manage 750 squids anyway? Upgrade to 1GB and 80GB here takes me to 807 with educational discount!

edit: i have no pound symbol without changing keyboard language /lazy

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AWWW!! GMA graphics. FFS. I wanted a macbook I could GAME ON, without having to lug around another brick like my Dell. AND it's £15!! for a VGA converter, which is about the most useful thing you can have on a lappy.

Can you upgrade the ram and harddisk yourself though? Say, buy a 512/80 model and plonk in a 100gig 7200drive with 2gig of ram? I assume the harddisk is probably a lot harder than the ram.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 May 2006
  17. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

The ram will be accessed by a slot near the battery I would imagine. Hard disc will be much harder.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But GMA graphics?? Im stuck with buying a 15.4" pro now :( Why dosent anyone do a lappy with good graphics that isnt huge?

19. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Sexy looking, cheap (ish), packed with features, small... but with underwhelming onboard graphics. It's a tradeoff that is probably worth it if you don't want to do games - although it will be still better than the existing/previous line of consumer lappys (better than the PB's too I would assume?).

Ordering my MacBook Pro this week though. I tried last night an I couldn't get my card authorise. I wonder if the store was blocking sales on purpose... cheaper, and faster now!

EDIT: What a fluke. My card has some sort of anti-fraud alert on it stop online transactions over a certain amount. Which prevented me ordering the middle model, 2.0ghz version last night for £1630. I've just put through an order for a 2.16ghz model for £1562. Quality. Thank the maker for online fraud protection.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even if I dont do games, what about stuff which requires video acceleration? And HD video? GMA is pants, I'd have put up with Radeon 9200.

Tags: