1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home network file server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HollowFrank, 16 May 2006.

1. HollowFrank

HollowFrank What's a Dremel?

I'm currently gathering together the pieces i need to build a file server for my home network. I need a operating system and file system that will talk to XP, OS X, Ubuntu and possible OS 9, though the later is the least of my worries. I'm just looking for recommendations etc. Any info or warnings will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I recommend using a Linux based OS for your server, purely because of the freeness of it. Ubuntu is a good distro, but many distros have server installs that take up little space.

3. HollowFrank

Dapper will get it's official release soon so i'll check that out. Linux it probably will be but there is still a huge choice.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Do those all work with SAMBA shares?

Freenas is your friend.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

yea you can run samba on nearly every OS there is, but for ease of use, use the OS you use msot of the time as you will know how to configure it etc.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Ubuntu comes with a server version, available either as an ISO download, or by typing "server" at the install prompt in the normal (desktop) CD.
    If you're only wanting a fileserver, then freeNAS is also a good choice, but kinda limits you as to what the server can do (personally, my fileserver is also my e-mail and web server)

7. HollowFrank

Since i'm already reasonably familiar with Ubuntu it was likely to be my choice of system, was just curious about alternatives, Freenas is a definate possiblity as it is tiny and does what it needs to.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've been tempted to install freenas on my fileserver (it's currently just using windows file sharing, while although functional is pretty bad)... whaddya mean by "SAMBA shares"? Will I be able to access the data through \\fileserver\drivename or something similar if I were to go that route? I'd like something with proper FAT32 support (XP won't let you format a drive over something like 40GB with anything but NTFS) so my new MBP could use it too, but I'd rather not go to the trouble of reformatting the OS and data drives if it won't work for me...

9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

My server is a mandriva box using samba.
    Bar a few issues with computer names samba was very easy to set up.
    BTW never use localhost as a computer name.

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

why is everyone servering these days, i liked being a member of the somewhat exclusive "server in the loft" mob

11. HollowFrank

I have the problem of liking anime, many people will agree if i was to say it's addictive as crack, now i want my anime on hand whichever computer i'm sitting at, i also want to be able to pick up the box and take it with me to share files and such when my friends and I have lan parties, same goes for my music. People are just using more and more digital media, a home fileserver is just logical once your entertainment becomes based around the computer.

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

hmm this is true, but do people actually use servers beyond filesharing?
    mine runs roaming profiles, print management, internet content filtering and of course ftp and the like

13. HollowFrank

You'll have to ask the people, filesharing is primarily why it's being built, plus it's a project to keep me busy, maybe i'll learn a few things and come out with a useful piece of hardware

14. puzzler_uk

puzzler_uk What's a Dremel?

My servers handle, file shares, web and email hosting, terminal services, proxy caching and web filtering, active directory. You know, all the normal things that a 18 yrold shouldnt know how to do.
    :D

Ben

15. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You forgot the VPN server, NAT, the Media Server Services, the Sharepoint Services that I've had on my servers besides all the services you are doing when I've been 14. :p

If an answer still hasn't been found for this that the creator likes, check out SME Server, does plenty of tasks and support fileserving of all OSs. But Windows Server 2003 R2 has the tools in it for Apple and Linux support too, you just need to enable it.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

no one cares about how old you are and what you can do.
    it's not helping the thread in the slightist

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

... WTF?
    And your posts are??

It all boils down to this I guess:

If you want it easy: FreeNAS
    If you want it expensive: Windows 2003 Server
    If you want to learn: Linux Distro with samba server => I would personally recommend: Just serving: BSD or Debian / Real learning: Gentoo

EDIT: And from what I've heard the new Ubuntu actually has a good server install (previous ones were still to bloated for my likes) so, since you know that distro too, that would fit the bill too.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

that was a quick edit on your behalf...

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Right, you all done throwing your toys around?

Ive had enough of grumpy faces, it's not cute when you're an adult.

20. setekh[pt]

setekh[pt] What's a Dremel?

sorry to meddle in your discussion :p, but I could use some guiding...

i dont know really that much about networks (erm...ive managed to setup my home network...4 PC and a router lol...thats about it) but google sure is my friend :p (if you know of any websited that could be helpful, please do share them :))

anyway, now ive got the money, im building a new pc...this time 4 the living room (where the big TV is :D) , and 2 laptops are on the way (we're often 6 around here :p), so i guess this networking solution isnt going to work anymore...so ive been trying to find a new solution (thanks google again :p) and i particularly liked the file server, because of 3 main factors:

- relevant data is in the same place
    - data can be accessed much faster
    - data is always accessible

also, if im actually building a server, why not giving it some other puropse besides data storage? can the same machine work as a file server and a game server? game server would be for cs or mohaa...12 players max...i've got 7 useable pc @ home...and a broadband connection with an upstream of 400kb/s...so i guess it should be enough for 5 additional folks right? :)

proceeding...what kind of hardware do you think i should get? will a dual cpu setup be better than a single one? out of the blue, i was thinking something like

CPU - AMD MP 1500+ (or Xeon 1.5)
    HDD - 4x160GB SATA 8MB cache (is it worth it to buy a SATA RAID controller, and have the HDD working on RAID 5? does it affect the servers capabilities as a game server?)
    RAM - 1GB DDR PC2100 (i know 256MB would be enough 4 the file server...but 4 gaming purposes is 1GB KO?)
    PSU - will the regular 350W PSU do the trick?
    GRAPHICS - should i get a graphics card? :confused: is it money well spent?
    NETWORKING - for such a network, and assuming there are 3-4 users accessing files @ the same time, should I get a gigabit ethernet card and matching switch?

as i've referred earlier, the network will include 2 laptops...so (and to make matters worse), i would need to configure a wireless network...how would i adapt it to the rest of the network?

thanks in advance for any help you can provide :thumb:

Tags: