1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spore - the E3 preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 15 May 2006.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

One of the Star Trek movies also had whales (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)

2. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

From what I've seen It looks intriguing, So when It comes to the US I'll buy It. Sounds like fun.

3. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

this really looks well, cant wait for the release

4. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

As others have said, it looks amazing. But I don't think it will be a great game.

Like all the Sim games they're fun up until the point where you have explored everything but from there on there's not much you can do. Even messing around with your mates' planets won't be that fun as they won't be able to see whatever destruction you wreak.

I played The Sims 2 for about a week. It's a good game but there's nothing satisfing about it in the end.

Hopefully this game will have some sort of story to it and hopefully challenges that you need to complete to get new stuff. Otherwise I reckon it could be a bit disappointing.

5. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

I played Simcity (and Simcity 2000) to death. SimEarth was an earlier attempt at something like Spore, but it just didn't work - too abstract & high level.

As for replayability, if you get everything ticking along nicely, you can always do what I did a fair bit in SimCity - unleash massive disasters, level everything, and start again in a field of smoking rubble! SimCity 2k had a nifty sort of post-apocalyptic feel to it when the entire massive map was covered in the rubble of a city that had been home to millions, and you're bulldozing part of the rubble to build a tiny little village...

I think this should be cool - Will Wright's best games have always been the "software toy" type of really open-ended games - Spore could work.

6. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

He has already said that you can have aquatic creatures, their cities when on barren blanets have a big glass bubble around them with water in it. One of the earlier things that was shown was Will creating a Care Bear to play about with, he must just like creating random things more than things he can see around him.

7. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

It's supposed to be a game that you can dip in and out of i believe. I remember watching like an hour long trailer about it a while ago. The concept is quite good. I can see myself purchasing it.

:)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There are some more news about it, which say, that there will be also addons to come sooner or later.

Well by now it looks to be later, because the release-date was set back to April 2007 :sigh:

But i will definitely purchase this game :thumb:

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If it's published by EA, of course there'll be addons!
    Before long we'll have Spore Rockstar, Spore University and (for the younger players) Spore Cute 'n Fluffy

10. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Heck as long as I can install and play Spore in XP x64 I'll be happy. :D

11. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

I've been following Spore for a couple of months now, I don't think I've anticipated any game as much as I do Spore.

It's either going to be a huge flop, or the new Half Life in popularity, I'd imagine.

12. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

I think, like the sims, this will be a huge success. There are a lot of "casual" gamers who don't spend 23hrs a day on their favourite FPS, who may not spend huges amounts of money buying every game ever made but when they purchase a game they all end up buying the same one. What was "fun about the sims is you where controlling these entities lives, what will be fun about spores is controlling how these entities evolve.

If I where putting money on any game making it big in the next 12 - 18 months this would be it.

13. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

the longevity factor of this game is what i question

how interesting will it be after your in space

at that point, its all going to be the same really IMO

14. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

your perfectly right, but this game is going to appeal to the person that previously bought and played the sims, you have to understand there are millions of them. Most of which want a game that doesn't neceseraly have an end, the point of this game is not to complete it, as really it can't be completed, i mean go off and try to colonise half a million star systems..

This game is gonna be bought by parents who for their kids to play specifically because it's primarilly not a violent game. I really think it's gonna be a hit, maybe not with the readers of bit-tech and your average "hard-core gamer" but I'm talking about the more layed back "casual" gamer, which incidentally numbers far greater than us.

15. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I don't think it will necessarily be like that. It's quite possible that this will turn into the usual Sim type of games which appeal to so many people but I don't think it has to. I reckon it would be possible to build a story around it with goals to complete and species to extinct etc. It could be done in an open way though that didn't force you to complete missions but allows you to pick and choose to do them as you want. That way if people have a choice of how they play it from "I want to take my time and play with as many different bugs and creatures as I can" to "Let's make the biggest baddest predators around and evolve everything up to the highest level as quickly as possible".

In a way Black and White attempted to do this. You could choose to complete missions in an evil way or a good way. You didn't have to complete all the missions to move onto the next level either. I think this open type of game play worked well in Black and White although it could have been better.

Spore has great potential too. I just hope it waste it by turning into another Sims.

16. yahooadam

yes

however in your black and white analogy, you missed 1 key point

Black and white was a very good game, very fun, lots to do, etc etc

Black and white 2 SUCKED, it was short, boring, and worse then B&W

And guess what, its because EA stepped its big foot in B&W2 and ruined it

Spore is made by EA, nuff said ;)

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Em well actually EA made neither B&W 1 or B&W 2 and they're not making Spore either. EA publish games; they don't make them. Now EA I am sure do have quite a big influence on how the game turns out (usually by demanding features to be stripped in order to meet some pre-set release date) but it's safe to say that most of the major gameplay decisions are made by the developer.

EA publish loads of games and they're all totally different. I think it's pretty harsh to say that any game they publish will suck.

18. yahooadam

EA massivly governs how games are now made

They do actually make quite a few games as far as i know

they own alot of the companys that make the games for them

B&W was published by EA, but made by lionhead

B&W2 was made by lionhead, but EA have demanded an early release or goverened it too much, beacause they ruined it

This is true of alot of modern games now it seems published by EA

they seem to be dominating game developers now, stopping them from making good games

We need to boycott EA games >_<

19. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I am really lookinf forward to this game, VERY much. There are many questions that i have but they have been expressed by other people. Such as the ammount of PC power that is going to be required? the need for an internet connection or will the game be able to run without one? and more importantly will there be races like the Borg, aka near impossible to get rid of unless you yourself have a HUGE space army or a (excuse the idea) federation of plants.
    I could also see myself getting hooked on this game.

20. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

A federation of plants?
    Does that mean we'll be able to create intelligent plants too?
    Personally, I think I'll be trying to conquer the universe with a race of super-intelligent bacteria :p

Tags: Add Tags