1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 mile bike ride, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General' started by boycee, 15 May 2006.

1. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

Hey all, first off just to let everyone know this is not some lame attempt to get people to sponsor me, it's more I just want to raise some awareness and share my experience with as many people as possible. So please do not be offended by thinking this is some sort of beg for money, coz it isn't, money isn't the point here.

Me and 3 friends are about to being our beast of a bike ride next wednesday, John O'Groats to Land's end. We are having a day by day live update on the website so you can follow our progress.

If you can spare a few minutes have a look at our website

www.cycle-ne2sw.co.uk

I also hope to get a load of interesting photos from across the UK, which again will be uploaded day by day from mobiles and internet cafe's.

Wish me luck people, and watch out for us on the news and papers :)

Chris.

(P.S any random questions feel free to shoot, I love talking to people about it :))

2. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

a thousand miles in ten days.... thats about 100 miles a day.... do-able, but i bet you'll be sore after ;)

just out of curiosity, i notice the 'the route' link on your site isnt linked.... you might want to buy a map before leaving ;)

but enough of my (lame) sarcasm, good luck to you, i'm a keen cyclist but i wouldnt want to do that run! anyways, i clicked your sponsership page and its credit-card only :(, i have £5.83 thats been languishing in my paypal account since last year, if you can accept a paypal payment, it may as well go to a good cause than be sat in paypal forever :)

<disclaimer>
    yes, i know he isnt grubbing for sponsership, but i checked my paypal about 5 minutes ago and was wondering what to do with the balance, then i saw this. the british heart foundation is a better place to put it than paypal's coffers. besides, i might need them when i check how much a ps3 is gonna cost :)
    </disclaimer>

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Are you crazy?

Yes, obviously, in fact, you may be too crazy.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I did fifty miles a day for a week back in fifth and sixth grade, and that was with long stops for lunch and a lot of slow people in the group. It's definitely doable. But yes, you are crazy.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Riding across the entire length of the British Isle been done lots of times and my dad has raised money for the British Heart Foundation by cycling from London to Brighton and Portsmouth a few times and has raised a fair bit.

It's all for a good cause (especially right now when my grandma had a heart attack last week) and I'd like to say good luck to you :)

How exactly are you going to keep the website up to date? Will you actually have enough time to find an access point and upload your photos?

6. customh

customh conflagration.

You're not crazy, you're cool, good luck!!

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

The son of a guy at work took a year off inbetween high school and college to ride around the US. All the way around.

Its possible, good luck to you.

And you are a little crazy. :D

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Sounds like great fun. If I was in the U.K., I'd want to come with you guys.

Just don't forget a spare inner tube.

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Buy a nice seat and some biking shorts....i know you knew that, i just chafed really bad last week and learned my lesson....

10. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

One other thing: Don't ever, ever, ever ride on the wrong side of the street, even if it's in a bike lane. I did once, and someone didn't look at all, and pulled right out in front of me. I was going downhill at the time, and flew all the way across the hood of the car. It bent my front axle (1/2" steel bar), and killed the frame (old steel road bike). It also did a number on my front teeth.

Needless to say, that was the last time I ever rode the wrong way. (The first time, as well.)

11. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

good luck guys!
    If I did have some money I would sponsor you, as I always think these "challenges" are really worthwhile, and very satisfying...the most straining ride I have ever had was 67miles in half a day, but I am guesing its not going to be the first or second day that will be tricky but far more likely when you get to day 7 onwards! So best of luck and take care!

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Wow, that is phenominally cool :D

100 miles a day or so sounds like it'll hurt, but I'm sure it'll be worth it at lands end*

Good luck!

*and most of the way there actually

13. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Cool, I have always wanted to do something like this. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing lots of pictures!

14. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Good luck and hope you make it all the way, if you want i'll join and give you support as long as my bike can me motorised and have four wheels and is infact a car?

Regards
    GiGo

15. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

You should be able to average maybe 12-14 mph I reckon, but I wouldn't aim for any more than that. I presume this is on a road bike? I hope so! So yeah, 100 miles a day is doable, but hard. And you will get sore.

Good fun though, and a great feeling of accomplishment when you're done. Good luck :)

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

John O'Groats to Land's end? That's downhill all the way, no challenge. Try it in the other direction :hip:

Seriously though, it sounds cool, good luck :)

17. MrWillyWonka

Funny that people think like that! Since both ends of the country are level (or near enough) with the sea, this means that to go down, you have to go up.

Which leads me to think that there is an equal change in altitude. It is just a matter of how steep the slopes are.

Since it's hillier in the north, you wouldn't want to ride there during the end of the tour!

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Not at all. For quite a few millenia now Scotland has been rising up out of the sea, and England has been sinking down into it. With each year that goes by the north of Scotland gets that little bit higher above sealevel, and the south of England gets that little bit closer to having fish above peoples heads. Although I'm not sure it'd make that much difference on a bike ride like the one described, the fact is in a way true :D

19. MrWillyWonka

I'm aware of that... which is why I said (near enough) :D

20. boycee

boycee What's a Dremel?

How random is that, i never knew. The down side with biking (north - south) is the wind. Apparently the currents generally flow north, so that will be quite annoying. But tbh we want to finish in sunny Cornwall, so all should be good.

The route section is now uploaded, although hardly detailed, but should give you an idea of where roughly we are going.