1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Slimline e-pc (July, 3rd)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bAdI, 23 Mar 2006.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I got a tiny white CCFL from a old scanner, and it had a 1x1x2 inch inverter, if you could find one of those that would probably suit your needs well if white was ok.

2. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Just came across your mod. Looks great!

I was wondering about the power supply, as there are 700Mhz versions of the boxes on ebay, but without power supplies.

What type do they use voltage and current wise?

3. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Found it as it happens on eBay,

Output: 19V 3.16A

There you go, incase anyone else is interested.

Was also wondering, how is the power distributed within the box itself? I can't seem to think of how they get the DC current from the adapter split up, and to the hard drive, cd and motherboard.

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  4. JohnFish

JohnFish What's a Dremel?

Could I ask where you founf these aluminum U-shaped things? Thanks

5. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

All the "hardware" I've bought so far is from Leroy Merlin (no UK shops, sorry)

They have just about anything you need and you don't have to over buy; the aluminium came in 2m pieces (also in 1m), the plexi in 50x100cm (also in 100X200cm) and the mesh in 25x50cm (also in 50x100).

The aluminium cost around 4€ and the plexi was 18€ (last year it was 10€ but I guess more modders go there so they've put the price up).

I've seen that other spanish modders like J0d3r shop there too, who BTW is using the same plexi and mesh I'm using in a different way for his Lian-Li v1100 ;

6. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

There's a 4pin connector on the motherboard where I get the power for the hard drive (and fans when I get to it, maybe even lights)
    [​IMG]
    I think it's just like a floppy connector

And the e-pc came with this convertor of the small 4pin to normal molex.
    [​IMG]

The cdrom gets the power from the small ide connector.
    For the original case fan there is a 3 pin connector (not standard) on the motherboard where the on/off button and leds go.

I hope I've answered your question.

As for the epcs with no power supply I've seen them too. Can't think of a reason someone would sell their epc and keep the external PSU. Maybe they just lost the PSU and want to get rid of the epc. Good thing is they're cheap.

7. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Thanks very muchly. Really tempted to buy one and do my own mod. :D

8. z4114

z4114 FACE!

You definately should ciaran.mooney. I picked up two a while ago and am still surprised on how compact everything is. The only thing keeping this system from being really good is the lack of a PCI slot. But it still works great as a small server (http, ftp, file) or as a mythtv frontend which will be my upcoming project now that I know how to install it.

:EDIT: How's it coming along bAdI?

9. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Does the white LED show through on the edge of the plexi outside?
    If it doesnt, and if you want lights shining from that instead of the fan + air holes, try cutting a small hole in the middle of the plexi and inserting the LED. Im not sure if you want to cut it yet, but its worth a thought. errr try.

10. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

I'm kind of tied up with work and schoolwork at the moment so no progress is being made, but hopefully this weekend I get some time to file stuff down to size. I should be getting a new 2.5" hdd tomorrow so I can mount it and measure out the outtake fan. I think I'm about 80% into finishing this off.
    Smoked plexi doesn't drive light through it, so even if I did cut a hole to stick a led in it it would look like a spot of light. Anyway, the idea is to iluminate the inside to show the guts but not make it too "loud". I'm going to finish everything the rest of the case and then think about lights, probably EL wire.

Stay tuned.

And yes ciaran.mooney, buy yourself one of these beasts. They're cheap and worth it.

11. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

Back by popular demand!!

First of all a size comparison with past, present and future gaming consoles. The slim e-pc is the one on the right.
    [​IMG]

I finaly got my hard drive back, not quite. I traded my 40gb (which I didn't really need) for a 20gb + a VFD from a teller machine. I'll post some pics when I get a moment to play with it.

[​IMG]

So with my hdd back I put it in the case and OMG was I shocked. All the sketches I did were based on the hdd size, but never thought about the adaptor. :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    As you can kind of see the adaptor hits the damn parallel port which I don't even use. (it's pushing it's luck way too far).

It's not too much so I'll cut the adaptor (I've got another 4 or 5)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just another shot.

I'm too busy to do any modding lately, but in a couple of weeks school will be over and I'll get to modding fulltime. I have to finish this mod and start with my htpc.
    Sorry about the lack of updates but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".

12. craig

craig What's a Dremel?

have you thought about using a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Cable instead of the adapter you have on that hard drive. Take a look at this LINK

Would save you a load of hassle.

13. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

Thanks craig, I'd never heard of those cables. It sure is a good solution but it cost €40 delivered to Spain. If I can find it near madrid cheap I'll buy it, otherwise I'll try cutting the adapter I have.

Cheers.

14. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

Hi I`m new here but also live in madrid..... I know a place where you can get the small adapter in the city... it´s a small shop called ibertronica they have the 2.5 adapter with the power cable, it´s like 10 euros in case your wondering where that shop might be it´s in useras....eso es en la linea 6 calle mamerto lopez....nice work btw

15. J0d3r

J0d3r What's a Dremel?

wow badi I didnt realize you are spanish too hehe, keep it going!

regards

16. z4114

z4114 FACE!

I have some good news for you bAdI. As long as the power plug isn't hitting the parallel port, you can cut off what you need to from the adapter card. I have the exact same model right in front of me (complete with pisspoor soldering on the power pins). The only trace you'll be cutting is the ground so it's not a big deal, and its free. So don your :dremel: and get this mod done! :rock:

17. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

Big thanks to every one for your support.
    That's the first spot that came to mind.
    Gracias
    I thought it would be the ground. In the pics you can see I've drawn a white line, that's where I would need to cut. I might take some time off to finally put all the pieces in and boot it.

BTW axzcpu, J0d3r, me ... any other spanish modders

18. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Bah, assemble later, hack it up now. :D If you look at your adapter while holding it upto a light, you'll notice that the far right pin from the power socket isn't connected to anything. That's your 12V line which is of no use on a 5V powered laptop HDD. Cut that b**ch like it owes you money! :dremel:

19. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

"Cut that b**ch like it owes you money!"

Ya! What he said. :thumb:

20. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Unos 6€ tienen la culpa si vas a Telkron en la Avda. Donostiarra, 13. (Metro Ventas o el Carmen). Ahi compre yo el mio hace algunos años y no llego a costar 6 o 7 euros con adaptadores para bahia de 3" 1/2 incluidos.

Es posible que en Conectrol tambien tengan.

:)

[Engl¡sh mode on]
    Some indications to find one of those small and cheap IDE adaptors in Madrid.
    [log off ]

Last edited: 22 Jun 2006