1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii don't need no education

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I wholeheartedly agree.

The whole XBox360 vs. PS3 war is just one giant 'line on a loo wall' contest. Sony's whole attitude ('you should be honoured for us to be selling this console to you for so little') gets my back up instantly.

Props to Nintendo for stepping back and doing what they know best, rather than getting into a 'next gen' fight. :)

3. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Nice column and i agree with basically all of it. I think the Wii is just what the industry needs and will really start the creative juices flowing again. However i dont think that it will 'save' the industry so to speak, as the industry doesnt need to be saved. Despite the price the PS3 will sell, sell and sell some more this christmas because as soon as kids and adults alike see the sony badge they know what they want and they want to know how to get it, as soon as possible. Yes Nintendos E3 conference was great and made me think again about buying a PS3, but the average joe gamer wont have watched E3, hell most of the people who buy the PS3 wont even know what E3 is, so it really is down to Nintendo's pricing and marketing plans from here.

If they get out what they are trying to achieve and how the console really is for everyone, and that it offers something new, exciting and refreshing in the high street then it will sell for sure. They need to get reps into stores, posters, ad campaigns..and show consumers why innovation beats graphical prestige. They need to choose certain aspects to really get out there to the average joe consumer, they need to shout the fact that the whole Nintendo back catalogue will be available, attracting the parents who are buying it for their kids, or anyone who knows that Nintendo make great games for that matter. They need to shout about their new controller, how it works, how it will make games fun and involving, and why it is much more fun and much more geared for gamers than the competitors. If they get all this right they will succeed.

Ice

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I second that comment.

I personally would buy a Wii as a primary console and then perhaps one of the other two for the more shiney games. Although i own a PC so that would fill my need nicely.

5. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Though it may seem nice and easy to use real movements to control a game, some serious balancing will have to be done. Take a cricket game, would you rather press a button combination to hit the ball, or would you rather actually have to swing the bat? Which do you think is easier? Red steel features shooting and katana-slashing, but is it easier to press a button or swing a sword?

Don't get me wrong I am holding out every hope for the Wii, but I'm scared that it's just too big a jump to pull off successfully. I mean, it takes 4 gamecube controllers, the new remote and about three add ons for that. I appreciate the ideas but can you be bothered to fork out for a pair of 'old skoool' controllers, a gun-type one and the 'nunchuck'? Oh and then you can connect the DS too it as well! Not to mention the amount of configuring this will take on the players part... will we see games only compatible with certain controller configurations? And not just the odd light gun of fishing sim type of game either.

This is just an example of the ridiculously high standards Nintendo has set for themselves but in short: I'll wait until I've played one.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends how hot she is tbh, and if it indeed does end up a "2 way street".

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

In reply to Skutbag, all the Wii addons, just adapt the remote.

The "gun" controller is just a piece of plastic that makes it held like a gun, so it's point and shoot.

The old skool style one, is again, just an attachment, the actual remote goes in the middle.

So the gun add-on will be tops of a few £, even if u actually need it.

I personally think that the way theu have Metroid using the numchuck is awesome, Allows a lot more freedom of movement and more natural. If anything the Wii could get the most flak from Games promote violence lobbyists as if will feel more natural when you play the games, your not as restricted by the controller.

8. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

just think about the accidents that could happen!!!!, flailing the 'nunchuck' about the living room :lol:

9. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

lol, chuck norris vs. bruce lee type game with nunchuk's to dish out the damage. :)

Skutbag: I can see where your getting at but your missing the point. It's just all about fun and i'm all for it. You don't really need all the controllers and add-ons available and i doubt that there would be any sort of configuration needed on the player's part

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Subarishi!!!! (means wonderfull)

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Woo I'm famous!

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nintendo will rule the world with this kind of attitude. I love it.

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I never thought about the wii name in that way and I have to agree with you. Revolution it is.. but wii gets rid of the agresion.

I think I shall get one of these wii's.. first console ever :O

"a kinky bondage club where a leather-clad Sony rep with a whip asks us to lick her controller."
    yes please ;)

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I already own a PC for games, that I would probably play on a PS3 or a X-Box 360. So Nintendos Wii would be my first choice, to get some new playing experiences.

Nothing would be more fun, then to play tennis, jumping around in front of your screen, handling the controller like a racket.

I really want one!

15. Gizmo1990

Gizmo1990 What's a Dremel?

Congrats and kudos on some Nintendo love here.

With the site being very technology based, I usually seem to be reading how 'awesome' stuff like the psp and 360 is here instead of a little more exposure for the DS and Nintendo in general.

Make no mistake about it, the Wii had a massive impact at e3 while Sony had an absolute nightmare.

Personally I believe the Wii will take a huge bite out of Sonys market share in Japan, possibly even overtaking it. In the States it will do very well to but not as well as in Japan. Unfortunately however, I can't see the Wii having much impact in Europe but I hope I'm wrong and people here respond to the console.

16. ajampaniki

ajampaniki What's a Dremel?

I always said I would buy another console again cause my pc gives me all the gaming "pleasure" I need, but seeing the gameplay that the Wii gives it is the only console i would consider buying. The ps3 and 360 just dont have anything special that would make me buy it. Nothing that my pc doesnt give me that is. I'm used to not having the best graphics so I dont really care about that. I rather have a console that has innovative gameplay and that is what the Wii gives.

As for the selfdestructive part of your collomn, I really agree. After playing 3 GTA realeases I've really have enough and dont really need any more of it, and i just know there are gonna be alot more. And to be honest, I still like GTA 2 the best (is that the last 2d version?).

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna buy a console again, maybe when they are a bit cheaper, but I know it wont be a ps3 or a 360.

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

You make out that the name Wii will sell its console. I dont care what a console is called. I buy it for the games. As the 360 has alot of games I want and the PS3 does too, like F1 and getaway and I will be buying them.

Unless there are games on the Wii I would like to play, the name does not do anything for me. The Wii is just a novelty which will wear off not long after its released.

At the moment I have a Game cube I havnt played on since I bought it 2 years ago (lasteted a couple of hours). A PS2 I not played on in 1 year and a Xbox I not played on in 1 year.

End of the day I dont have time for consoles anymore as my PC games take up most the time and are far supperior and fun :) A fancy controller on the Wii wont stop me playing BF2 and Guildwars :)

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

And a 100th release of Mario, Zelda and Metroid Prime does do it for you???

Its about time they shot Mario and made something new.

19. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Subarashi desu. Hey if you're gonna speak japanese spell it right!
    As for the 100th release of Mario and company, the difference with Mario games is that each Mario is significantly different. The newer GTA games are just the same thing with different clothes in a different town and a few minor additions.

20. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Very well-written article with a great perspective - I hadn't thought of that at all. It's this sort of stuff that makes me read bit-tech over other gaming/hardware sites :)

Tags: Add Tags