1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone in aberystwyth with a 939 system who could help me out?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by genesisofthesith, 21 May 2006.

1. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

My systems playing up, and I don't know if its the cpu or ram. Is there someone with a 939 system who could test my ram and cpu to see where the problem lies?

2. Faind

Faind What's a Dremel?

if you have two sticks of ram you could try pulling one at a time, if you've only got 1 then sorry.

3. genesisofthesith

I've tried both sticks on their own and their both superpi 32m stable and pass memtest for windows to 500% cleanly, in either slot 3 or 4, so either channel seems ok. But they dont work in dual channel with them in slots 3+4 (slots 1+2 can't be used due to the overhang of my xp120).

As i dont have any other ram to try i dont know whether its the ram or the memory controller that has a problem working in dual channel.

Are there any settings that would need changing for dual channel operation?

RAM is 2 x 512mb stick of GEIL Ultra BH5/UTT with stock timings of 2225, I'm running them with 3.1v to ensure voltage isn't the issue (previous owner had them ok with 2.9v at stock speeds), yet they refuse to work in dual channel. Any ideas?

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What motherboard are you running?

5. genesisofthesith

abit at8.

just got the cpu running at 2.8ghz and the ram in dual channel at ddr400 on a divider. passed super pi 32m, just going to check prime stability. I'm hoping this is a sign that there was nothing wrong with the hardware, just possibly some settings.

changing cpu frequency back to stock and voltage down to 1.45 (1.4 actual) and ram to 200 with same timings and volts as previous run (albeit not on divider) results in memtest for windows error - cpu memcontroller not getting enough volts?

Last edited: 22 May 2006