1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple 6 New Apple ads

Discussion in 'Software' started by seebul, 2 May 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've seen a couple of those.

I was enlightened though, I wasn't aware of some of those details.
    • Viruses
      Viruses only run on PCs. Solution, buy a macbook and install Windows with Boot-Camp!
    • Restarting
      Restarting is only required on PCs. Solution, buy a macbook and install Windows with Boot-Camp!
    • Better
      Of all the things they had to choose from, advertising a WYSIWYG web editor is what they went with? I don't like WYSIWYG editors, so I guess I don't need to switch since that's the main Better point.
    • iLife
      iLife is genius. I can't believe Microsoft/Ubuntu/etc haven't tried to mimic this. Truly brilliant.
    • network
      Macs can use the latest digicam from Japan?! Awsome!
      It's a good thing they have iLife to manage photos, and are better at putting them on the web, because my mac still doesn't understand how to talk to my 3 year old Epson photo printer. (although my Linux laptop can print wirelessly over the network to it, which is connected via USB to my windows machine... I guess Mac just hasn't had the funding or time that linux has for driver development?)
    • WSJ
      I don't base $3,000 purchases on WSJ quotes, but it is nice to know.

Sorry to make a gripelist, but I have a widescreen iBook G4 at home that I'm tempted to never use in public because of these stupid, petty, childish advertisements.

As an American, I hate this style of advertising.

Why couldn't the PC say, "woah, wait a second, you are talking about the OS I'm wearing, not about me as a PC. I guess you don't know much about the difference between an OS and Hardware, huh? Maybe they didn't teach you that in advertising school. Sure, I reboot and feel sick right now, but that's because I'm wearing my Windows shirt. Let me go change into Linux or BSD. Yeah, BSD, hmmm... it looks strikingly similar to what you are wearing. Neat."

Seriously, Mac has some amazing features. Why not have just the apple guy advertising the motion sensor, or the anti-theft features, or showing how to use iLife? I'm sick of elitest marketing techniques. (like Ask.com's anti-google ads and Microsoft's anti-linux ads.)

2. fev

fev Industry Fallout

yeah but they're anti-linux for a reason... joe public likes the warm fluffy hold of Microsoft even if they don't actually pay for their software

3. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I guess my point is, they are telling joe public that it is the PC that is vulnerable to viruses, whereas it is Microsoft Windows that is vulnerable, not PC.

To say that Apple is not vulnerable to viruses, but Mr. PC is, implies that you could install Windows XP on a MacBook Pro, and no longer get viruses, which is totally untrue.

Granted Windows XP is the popular choice for PC, it still isn't the only choice, and Windows is not the same as PC. That's like saying Toyota and Car are the same. If you are driving a Car, you are driving a Toyota. We should all switch to Motorcycles. (only, imagine there is only one motorcycle manufacturer)

To be clear: I like my wife's iBook. I would love to own a MacBook Pro. I hope to one day fully understand how OSX works (I'm still confused about having to mount virtual drives in order to install software, but I'm sure it is something simple I just need to get used to), but if the current method of advertising continues, I'm going to be very reluctant to spend $3,000 on hardware from a manufacturer who prides itself in throwing mud at the competition instead of promoting the features of their own product.

4. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Ach, they're a bit of a giggle, and gets the ideal across. Great.

I think we can allow apple one risky ad campaign - afterall, these are the same marketers that put that little white tin in everyones pocket.

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I think picking on the difference between computer and operating system is a bit pedantic. 99% of PCs use Microsoft Windows, and all Macs use OS X (± Windows now I guess...). For the average computer user, the difference is non-existant. Apple aren't really aiming these ads at us.

I agree with you about everything else, though.

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Agreed, I think I was just annoyed by the commercial.

It feels like the commercials are targeted at people already using Apple, which seems odd.

Tags: