1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

explorer not loading

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bAnTAi, 24 May 2006.

1. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

turned on my computer and explorer doesnt load. all i get is the backdrop. i can bring up task manager and run some applications, but not explorer. pc been acting up recently, every now and then it makes an internal click which i've only ever heard before just as it cuts power when i shut down. when that happened it would freeze for a few seconds and then be ok. but all of a sudden, i turn it on and big problems...

can still access files on it through the network, so it looks just to be a problem with explorer or windows....any ideas?

2. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Have you tried safe mode?

Can you run "eventvwr" as a task? This might give an indication of what is not loading properly.

3. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

same problems in safe mode....

event viewer can be opened...

4. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

click on start up...

file corruption causes explorer not to load?

Could be a HHD on it's way out...

I would bang in your windows CD and do a reinstall of Windows.

When you install it if you ignore the screen where it offers you the chance to "recover" a previous windows installation, on the next screen or so, it should detect your previous windows installation and offer you the chance to repair it.

This should keep all your data in tact and remember all your windows settings and programs etc... however, I would back up any important data using the other machine on the network first, it I were you!!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds like you're having hard drive issues. I'd download the relevant tools from the drive manufacturer's website and run a full scan on your disk to see what's going on.

6. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

unfortunately all the data is on a raid stripe, and not the lovely, mirrored kind that could be really useful right now :)

if it is a hard drive issue it'll probably just be the one of them right? How do I find out which one? :)

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you download the toolset (which drives are they?) from the website, it'll have an option to scan either to see what's going on. If you're using RAID0, then I would back everything important up fairly quickly because if one of the drives does go, you will lose everything.

8. lonewolf05

lonewolf05 What's a Dremel?

Hello all. I seem to be having almost the exact same problem.
    However, the only difference I see as of yet is that I am capable of running in safe mode. (I am right now, kind-of annoying really...)
    Anyways, For some reason, I am unable to run the tools provided by WD (I'm running a WD-400EB)
    As when I try to install them, I get some retarded error stating "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."
    I get this even though I am the sole user and admin of this machine.

Any suggestions.

9. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

he has no explorer which means no start bar. just sh...

lonewolf05...thats because its safe mode. you cant run executables in safe mode. that why its safe mode, alot of viruses are executables or they used to be

bantai have tried booting to normal opening the task manager an running explorer.exe? from there you should be fine till you can fix your problem and backup what ever you can just incase your hds fail unexpectedly.

10. lonewolf05

I for one tried running explorer.exe with the task manager loading normally, but it gives a different admin restriction error. And I thought all that safe mode does was disable certain hardware and networking services (unless you do safe mode with networking of course). Which is true, I have horrible video, not nearly as good as my radeon. That's the annoying part.
    Anyways, if I put the .exe on a floppy, could I install the tools sometime in post and then run it in safe mode somehow?

11. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

download the .iso file from this website http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ the software has loads of different tools and utilities. they have hard drive tools for every manufacturer. you'll need software like imgburn or deepburner to get the cd to work right. burn the image to a cd or dvd then restart and boot the cd or dvd go to hard drive tools and you should find diagnostic software for your hard drives.

12. lonewolf05

Good on ya blu. I'll give it a try and post up my findings.

13. lonewolf05

After dloading and burning the Ultimate Boot Disc, I used the new disc to boot and ran the WD DLGDiag 5.04f. I ran an extended scan on both of my drives, just in case, and both came with a return of zero errors.
    So, besides reformatting... :wallbash: I don't have any idea of what to do as of now. Anyone have any ideas, before I take after the little emote?

14. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

using the ubcd run the virus and spyware scans it could be causing a problem.

15. lonewolf05

Done, came up with nothing...

I also ran HijackThis v2 a while ago, but on the forum that referred me to no-one is responding.
    Here's the log, hope it helps...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 10:47:03 AM, on 12/16/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\lonewolf\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E77031D-06CB-483A-A527-12D3AC520995} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhe.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {435D08DD-665E-474F-B977-5EE75A2BDCB2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yaywxwx.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {55DB983C-BDBF-426f-86F0-187B02DDA39B} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\jdcenphj.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {57077C67-7559-4C74-AD72-7EA037175539} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtsq.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {95706D2D-3DC3-44A3-8C96-EFE062F06333} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebya.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E98E38E1-4D5B-4EC6-ACDD-8B96616D1528} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vroouscs.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F9430867-626F-4972-921E-116F325D96B3} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtqq.dll (file missing)
    O3 - Toolbar: &VSAdd-in - {74DD705D-6834-439C-A735-A6DBE2677452} - C:\Program Files\VSAdd-in\VSAdd-in.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WindowsUpdate] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\iahmawhq.dll",realset
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bncsaui.exe] %ProgramFiles%\Bradford Networks\Client Security Agent\bncsaui.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [runner1] C:\WINDOWS\mrofinu.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: Sid Registration.lnk = G:\ATR1.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZK
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: BitComet Search - {461CC20B-FB6E-4f16-8FE8-C29359DB100E} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/win...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1188150025656
    O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownload/dist/hgstart/HGPlugin9USA.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D4323BF2-006A-4440-A2F5-27E3E7AB25F8} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai.net/f/532/6712....akamai.com/6712/player/install/installer.exe
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: awtqq - C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtqq.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: gebya - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebya.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: jkhhe - C:\WINDOWS\system32\jkhhe.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: yaywxwx - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\yaywxwx.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    O23 - Service: DomainService - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qvbimkhq.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe

--
    End of file - 8579 bytes

EDIT: Also, I was talking with my brother in law, and he said that he and a few of his friends had an occurrence much like this very recently, and that the problem was linked to a " ezula adware trojan (something) thingy" I googled it but I didn't find anything promising on it. I'm going to talk to him a bit later and see if he still has the scanner/fixer program that eAcceleration sent to him. Worth a try guess...

16. pataks

pataks What's a Dremel?

same problem here

i have the same problem and its frustrating me.
    happened after i discovered a virus that was in screensaver and background picture. screen saver was a mock "blue screen of death" and somehow the virus had disabled the screensaver and background options in display properties.

found out how to make this pages appear in the display properties - ran my avg over the system it found 31 viruses and then asked me to reboot to complete the cleanup.

upon rebooting i have no explorer.exe - i can ctrl alt del and try to brows to the executable - but it wont run. i have a nice complete blue screen that will not give me a pop up box when right clicking and no icone or start bar or anything.

same in safe mode.

i have twice put in my windows cd and reinstalled windows selecting the repair option. stiull getting the same result. i would love to know if anyone has further insight.

your help would be appreciated -

managed to copy important files to my usb drive in the browse windows in task manager when browsing to start a new task, donty really want to format and reboot - will see if we have an answer in the next few days.

regards - pat

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

boot normally, logon as admin, ctr alt delete to task manager, kill the explorer.exe process, start a new explorer.exe process
    this should get your desktop back
    from here you want to get lastest version of AVG and SPYbot and clear you system out, do a ccleaner as well and also fully scan and flush your registry with ccleaner(MAKE BACKUPS)
    set a scandisk to run on reboot
    I've had the kapersky virus or something cause this. To confirm after doing the above logon as a different user, if explorer.exe(ie startbar,desktop icons) flash on and off that is what you have. google about and you'll fine lil dos app to clear out the infection.
    I'd recomend a Trendmicro free online scan before this.