1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Modu-Li

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shplade, 15 Feb 2006.

1. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

i assume the feet for the pump stand are not going to interfere with the mobo's feet positions, or for that matter make the mobo not quite flat on the tray?

2. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

The motherboard will go on first, the bracket sitting ontop of it with rubber spacers.

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

4. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i have to ask why the fill port it mounted at a horizontal angle ...

how on earth are you going to fill it like that ?

5. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Lift it up vertically, I don't see why it would pose a problem? If so I'll just move it up to the top of the mobo tray on a little right angle bracket.

On second thought, you're right. Thanks for bring that up otherwise it would have been a bitch to fix up later.

Thankfully the way I plan to fix it will cover up the existing hole anyway.

On thirdthought :p I can fix it using the existing hole... you'll see.

Last edited: 7 May 2006
  6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Great mod, just started reading through it. Your cabling ideas have inspired me for my next project. How much do you reckon you'll spend on the mods themselves (not the computer kit)?

7. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I'm glad you like it Lazlow :)

Including the case, watercooling parts, modding stuff and raw materials... ~$1000 AUD

Mini-update:

I have all the watercooling parts now :)

Tonight after uni I made the rad bracket and mounted it on the rear of the case (note it is not fixed to the case, the un-popped rivets are holding it on.

The loop will go RAD->PUMP->GPU->CPU->RAD with the T-line between the Rad outlet and pump inlet. I've done a mock install of the pump, rad, T-line, and GPU. Also note I've added the shroud between the Rad and fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to thank yahooadam over at bit-tech who made me think twice about the placement and orientation of the Fillerport. Originally it would have been near impossible to fill, so I moved it up near the top of the rear fans and the mobo I/O area. Its mounted on a small L bracket much like the one made by BenJ in his case 'H2Micr0'

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/beperfect/logpic/ddfp04.jpg

Here's a low angle shot showing the whole setup so far:

[​IMG]

Lastly here is the CPU block I'm using:

[​IMG]

8. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Hey, i like it. quick q tho, are you going to polish the whole thing like the shiny wavemaster?? or just some details?? and that fillport looks out of place somehow...

9. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

The only part I'll be polishing is the chassis, and not to a mirror shine, just shiny enough to look nice.

10. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Hihi

I haven't updated in ages because I've been too lazy to do any decent work, but here's some progress from the last few weeks and alot from today.

I got some stuff from PCCG, the most important of which being a BIX to replace my leaking BIP. Here's the loop that has been together for about a week or so, I did an overnight leak test and it was fine :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got some new IDE cables, ACRyan Rouncable2-FX UV blue to be exact.

[​IMG]

I thought they looked really ugly so I sleeved them.

[​IMG]

Here's the cables I've sleeved so far:

[​IMG]

From left to right; 2x SATA cables, 2x IDE cables, serial cable for the LCD, ATX extension, front panel connectors, and front panel USB headers.

To the hard drives, I finally got around to putting the wiring loom together for my four hdds (2x250 and 2x80):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue rigth angle molex plugs stand out way too much, so I painted them black like so:

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I painted the remaining silver thumbscrews and re-painted the PCI blanking plates because I didn't use primer the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I wasn't happy with my grey PSU so I decided to paint it.

Here it is sanded:

[​IMG]

Primer:

[​IMG]

Second coat of primer:

[​IMG]

After the second coat of black enamel:

[​IMG]

I can't paint the other half of the PSU because I need a solder sucker before I can remove the power socket + switch.

[​IMG]

I'll probably have a solder sucker tomorrow night so I'll get it all apart, then paint it on wednesday/thursday. The rear grill will probably get cut out and replaced by some ACRyan meshX, which you can see here in the top panel:

[​IMG]

Its hard to get a good shot of the stuff.

With my new dremel there was no excuse to not cut my window, so here it is, finally:

[​IMG]

You can see it lines up nicely with the CCFL mounts, also note the floor has a big hole in it where I cut out the logo, mesh will take its place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also worth a mention is the black U channel that I got to replace the clear stuff Lian Li use.

[​IMG]

12. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

The motherboard tray had some work done today, specifically the area that the tubing from the radiator enters the case. I decided that it would be easier if I could remove the entire system without having to drain it, so I cut a big hole:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are lots of small holes (and obviously that massive one where I once had the fillerport >.>) in the surrounding area that I wanted to cover originally, and now the cover is going to serve another purpose; to lock the tubing in place while the loop is installed.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that the plate isn't finished yet.

Two more things I recently acquired:

A noise isolator foam sound deadening kit:

[​IMG]

And a coolermaster alloy keyboard which matches the case nicely:

[​IMG]

Until next time :)

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

looking good as allways.

14. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Hi again.

Thanks Mankz_91 :)

I did some work today, amongst other things.

I acquired a solder sucker earlier in the week, so I could finally rip the guts out of my PSU.

[​IMG]

I didn't like the grill at the back of the PSU, so I marked up some lines and cut it out.

[​IMG]

After cutting it I decided that the PSU would look better if it was bare metal rather than painted black, especially if I was going to use black mesh. So I sanded it down.

[​IMG]

Then I cut some of my MeshX to fit the hole, and here it is just sitting inside.

[​IMG]

Here you can see I've begun to polish it up a bit. I'm not aiming for a perfect mirror finish, and have only done one side. I'll continue this process over the next few days and until its finished and then update again.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I polished up some of the motherboard tray because it was looking a bit ordinary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left some of it for the sake of comparing, and while it still has a few scratches it looks much nicer, almost like it was when I first got it :)

On thursday at uni we finalised the power supplies and I was allowed to bring it home, so here are some better pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is powering a UV CCFL, and a UV perspex stationary holder just for effect

[​IMG]

Its got 4 outputs on the front; ground (0V), positive (~ 2 -> 21.5V), negative (~ -2 -> -21.5V) and 5V fixed. At the moment I have to actually measure the output with a voltmeter before I can use it, but I'll get some digital voltage readers for the front so I can read the different outputs on the fly.

15. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

man looking nice i too am a lian li pc-60(5) owner

heres mah wiring,

[​IMG]

16. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

:)

I remember that specific picture, it looks awsome ;)

do you have a worklog for that case?

17. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Mini update, I've finished the PSU AND it still works, haha, I'm glad :)

[​IMG]

This is the only part of the PSU you'll see, so I didn't care too much about the finish I ended up with.

[​IMG]

I'll put a chrome grill on the 120mm fan but it wont be visible, more on that in the coming days.

18. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

For anyone who missed it, here is the logo which I cut out of the floor.

[​IMG]

I didn't want to just throw it out, so I've decided to use it somewhere else in the case. Before I use it I need to cut out the logo itself. I decided on giving the current logo a 3mm border, here it is drawn up:

[​IMG]

I went to work cutting out the border with my dremel, and about half way through, disaster struck!

[​IMG]

:O the dremel disc caught up, and bent part of the logo!

It turned out that I could easily bend it back, phew ;)

So I cut th rest out trying to be more careful, and it payed off. Here is the rough cut-out.

[​IMG]

I took to it with my needle files and after about 30mins its starting to look pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to remove small bits between the 'legs' of the M and also between the u.

What do you guys think?

19. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

:eeek: :p Sorry.
    I don't think at all, I'm a vegetable. :p To be honest... FASCINATING. I mean, I thought the modular bits would be kind of pointless at first, like when I tried to make my case modular. :rolleyes: But you made me think twice. Absolutely amazing job. The power supply looks fun and cool, and definitely useful. All the mods so far have not only looked great and had a specific purpose, but added to the coolness and originality of the mod. Great job!

20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

good work so far :thumb:
    going to be starting on my lian li soon, now that it has now innards will be able to get some proper work done...well after my exams, for now im going to settle for just small bits to tide me by inbetween revision :)

keep up the good work!