1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Paranoid Of Being Banned: Scare Me Or Make Me Feel Better

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 24 May 2006.

1. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Taking all the GTI badges off would probably help to reduce the amount of unwanted attention you'll get. If you took the bodykit off aswell that would help further and make a great sleeper, but I understand if you're unwilling.

2. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

You are quite clearly, mental. Heh.

Got my first major trip tomorrow to York, and I'm really looking forward to spotting all those new speed cameras I'm not used to.

3. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

A road angel or simular would be a good invesment :thumb:

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The only ones worth bothering with are the GPS ones that you update with the locations of all the cameras. Gatsos are easy to spot and detect, Truvelos dont get picked up by normal scanners, and are much trickier to spot.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

^^^

tomtom (or other gps, but I'm a tomtom man myself) + pocketgps speed camera database = win

I got caught by a truvelo a couple months ago, I say caught, I didn't realise I was speeding until the little git flashed (thought it was a 40, was doing 34)
    Luckily nothing ever came through, so I'm still clean.

As long as you're a sensible driver, you'll be alright :thumb:

Last edited: 27 May 2006
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The things that piss me off the most: forward facing speed cameras. Those mother ****ers are nasty because as soon as you see it, you're already IN it's path.

Tom Tom + speed cameras = Saved my ass. Especially on the M6 which is a ****ing nazi road with cam's every 200 yards and a 50mph limit. My next car will be an auto with cruise control.

7. milgo

milgo What's a Dremel?

Hey mook you got an 8v or 16v? When i passed my test 3 months ago i had a golf gti 16v waiting. Despite people suggesting the gti badge getting attention i must say i havnt really experienced that. I did get pulled over a few weeks ago, the officer just had a little word as i was doing 85 in a 70 on a nice sunny day. If you keep your car in good shape as well i think that helps, if they see some rusting gti lurching around they might want to investigate. After a month or so you wont be so worried :)

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Well just got back from York, and I've done about 340 miles since yesterday morning. No police attention, no speed camera problem... although I did do an emergency stop at some traffic lights with a camera on them as I mistimed how long they would be on amber and it flicked to red just as I arrived at the line at about 30mph.

Actually the only attention the Golf has been getting is either from charvas bombing past in bodykitted Puntos, or from tosser blokes in family cars that seem intent on mating with my exhaust pipe out of sheer frustration of me sticking to the speed limit.

P.S It's a 16v, 1992 Mk2.

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

buy yourself a pda and a gps reciever... that'll give you a pretty accurate speed.. set this up with tom tom and it's speeding options and you'll get a beep whenever you go over zee limit... if you're racing around or whatever you can tap the screen to turn off the warning for that road

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ignore them. If they go into the back of you it's their fault. I particuarly enjoy it when they do it and Im going up a hill because my car has no power it just grumbles slowly like a truck. They get right pissed off, it's so funny.

11. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

I had this same fear too, and 2 weeks ago I got done by a red light camera, I decided to go for it when it was on amber as was wet and didn't fancy breaking too hard, so went for it as it just changed and got caught. Letter came back and I was caught on the redlight doing 37 in a 30 zone. So was fretting I was going to get 6 points, and the date of this was 10th May 2006, and I passed my driving test on the 17th May 2004, so literally 10 days before I had been driving for 2 years.

Luckily letter came back and I only got 3 points as the speeding was too minor to count (If I was 40 or above it would have been a different matter). And £60 fine...

- Matt

12. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

Tags: