1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Far Cry, Completed (sort of) 12th July

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zero_Limits, 18 Apr 2006.

1. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

A little later then I said it would be, but here is an update.

Got a little more work done tonight. Mainly some more soldering, its surprising how long it takes to do all the soldering. I also got a few more rocks made while waiting for the blow torch to cool down a couple of times.

This pic should explain a little better what the things from the last update are for.

[​IMG]

Close up on one of them

[​IMG]

As you can see they are just elbow joints. I was originally going to just bend the tubing but it quickly became obvious that wasn’t going to work.

It’s a public holiday over here tomorrow so I will have the full day to work on the case.

Thanks for looking.

2. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Looking good as always Zero_Limits. Are you going to use your rock moulds to cover up the pipe heads?

3. Pooleo

Pooleo What's a Dremel?

cool stuff dude. great project. cant wait to see the water works working.lol. :rock:
    keep the updates coming. lol, its always good.

4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

What's our budget for this rig? Parts, tool and all? Also I didnt catch what hard ware you were going to install into it...

5. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

great mod and like how u are developing it as it goes along
    btw do think u will finish in time

Mod on! :rock: :rock:

6. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Thanks very much man. Yep will be covering the pipes with rocks. You will see this in the next update.

Thanks man, its getting closer and closer. Shouldn’t be to long now. Have to get some tubing soon so I can get some tests.

Budget?!?!?! Well the original budget was “not to much” I’m not sure what I’ve spent so far, probably best that way lol

As for the tools I'm only using ones I had in the garage. It just good that I had quiet a collection in there :p I would hate to think wat it would cost to buy all the tools I have use so far. It would be possible to do it with less tools. Would just take alot longer.

Will be just using the hardware out of my every day computer. Cant afford new stuff at the moment. So specs will be.

A64 3500+
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2x512mb Muskin RAM (forgot exactly what model)
    Leadtek 6800GT
    WD Raptor 74gb
    Seagate 200gb SATA
    Seagate 300gb SATA2 (hopefully next week)

For the cooling.

Dangerden TDX A64
    Dangerden NV-68
    Black ice xflo 2
    Swiftech MPC 650
    Not sure on res yet
    And some tygon to connect it all up.

Thanks man. I always try to have a plan to start with, but it always gets changed along the way.

Hmmm finished in time. Well there is 26ish days left…. Nooooo problem. Will probably be a bit stuffed by xLAN though :p

Thanks to all who have looked and commented. Update coming soon :D

Last edited: 10 Jun 2006
  7. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Time for an update as promised.

Haven’t done a whole lot on the case lately. Progress is slow due to be not being to into the boring repetitive work of adding fake rocks to the case. This will change over the coming few weeks as there are only 25 days left till xLAN. Its going to be a bit of a challenge to get it done on time, but with a lot of hard work I think I’ll get there.

So first up we have a pic of the top as it was a little while ago. You can see the outlets up the top and how they will be covered by the rocks. Also note that the small tubes coming out of the rocks are left to long and will be cut down flush with the rocks later. This is just so I don’t get filler or glue down them and block them up.

[​IMG]

Just a different angle of the top right side to show the new rocks.

[​IMG]

This is the underneath showing the inlets. This was a real pain to solder as I had to do it without heating the tubing seeing it was going through the case. Hopefully it works out. I will leak test it for a while before it goes near any computer parts.

[​IMG]

That was one or two days work. So this is onto a new day…

As you can see, my new method for the rocks looks a little more natural and closer to the game then the old way.

New…

[​IMG]

Old…

[​IMG]

This is due to me using rocks from the new mould I got which creates larger flatter rocks. Also my new method of filling the gaps between helps a lot. The way I do it now rather then using filler and trying to shape it later and make is natural is … I put a little thin CA down and while its still wet (which is quiet a while as its sort of a contact glue) I get an old block of dried up filler and the sanding drum for the dremel tool. I then sand the block of filler down with the dremel tool while aiming the dust that’s flying off at the wet CA. I then repeat this method a few times till the gap is filled. Doing it this way is completely random as you don’t know where it’s going to stick better then other places and you don’t know how the filler dust is going to fly. I feel it gave me a much better result soooo…..

[​IMG]

And the newly remodeled left side of the case.

[​IMG]

After that destruction it was time to start rebuilding. You can see in this pic some bits of wood. This just fills up a large gap rather then filling it with the more expensive and heavier filler. If you look closely at some of the pics from the other side you can see that I have done the same there. That’s where the left side is up to now. I will be going out to the garage as soon as I have finished writing this to complete it.

[​IMG]

Onto the other side now. I tried another new thing for the other side which I had been thinking about for a while. While making some new rocks I took one out before it was completely dry but dry enough to keep the rock details on the front. I then put it in place and taped it down till the filler had finished drying.

[​IMG]

The results were pleasing. You can see from this pic how it shaped the rock. It still doesn’t fit perfectly in place but it is much closer then before.

[​IMG]

This is just a pic of the right side to show progress. Again I will be going out to finish this as soon as I am done writing this.

[​IMG]

So all this means much to do and little time to do it in, my own fault really for not working hard enough on it at the start. I think it probably looks worse then it actually is though. The bulk of the actual building work is done and it’s just finishing and painting to do.

Check back in a few days for another update. I’m not sure when though, I will have more work done by tonight but I normally don’t feel like writing after I get in from the garage.

Thanks for looking guys, hope you enjoy seeing my progress on the project. Much much more to come in the next couple of weeks.

8. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

24 days till xlan now man.
    Looking good though :Q

9. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

14 days now yo :p

Chur 4 the reply dude :D

10. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Well peoples it’s finally update time! I have been working pretty hard on this thing trying to get it done in time. I have done a lot of work but as you will see from the next few pics it doesn’t look like much.

I have mainly been working on the rocks up top. Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a little work on the side window area. This next pic shows where I have cut out very roughly. It wont look anything like this once its done as I said its very rough.

[​IMG]

This pic is of the other side. It shows the bit I cut out stuck back in place to be removed again later. This will be explained a little better in the next couple of updates as its far easier to explain with pics them my writing.

[​IMG]

Also today at work I started on the second logo…

Printed out the logo to the size I needed.

[​IMG]

Stuck it onto a bit of 0.8mm Plastruct.

[​IMG]

Then cut it all out. I left the bits on the side till last so the paper was still stuck on.

[​IMG]

Here it is all cut out.

[​IMG]

A couple of hours of work with the needle files and it will be all done.

More updates to come in the next few days… 14 days to go :p

11. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Awesome work on the top Zero_Limits. What will the windows in the sides be showcasing?

On the new logo, if it comes out looking as good as your first versions then it will definetly kick ace. Keep up the pace and wow them at xlan.

12. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

Great!

I saw this project here before, it's really awesome! I can't wait to see more! very nice work on the logo and everything! congrats!

13. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

The window on the left side will probably not show much but it has to be there to match the window on the right side which will be showing my hard drives and hopefully part of the hard drive rack.

The logo is almost complete as you will see in my next update which will come as soon as I can post again after this one. It came out pretty good I don’t know if it’s quiet as good as the last but it’s a bit smaller so it was harder to get the details this time.

Thanks for your comments man!

Cheers dude. More to come over the next 13days… well hopefully only 10 or so, I don’t want to be working on this at the last minute. Thanks for your kind comments :D

14. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Hey guys

Got a little more done on the logo today at work. This little bit you will see in the following pics was the result of about 2 hours of work and one snapped needle file.

Sorry for some of the pics being unclear but its hard to show details when the whole thing is white. Anyway here are the pics.

First I decided like last time I would add a second layer of 0.8mm plastruct for strength. So I stuck the logo down to a sheet of it. The reason I did it in two layers rather then one 1.6mm layer is that using the 0.8mm is much easier to get a neat cut. Then its just a matter of running the knife along the edges to cut out the second layer.

[​IMG]

Then I roughly cut out the shape so it was easier to work with.

[​IMG]

Big jump ahead now and its all cut out.

[​IMG]

It’s a bit hard to see in this pic but I have done a lot of work with the file and angled all the edges and neatened up the sides.

[​IMG]

After that I stuck the print out back on to mark the damage.

[​IMG]

Then some more filing and this is how it turned out. I may do a little more work on it as I am not quiet 100% happy with it yet.

[​IMG]

This is just a close up of the center of the A and some other letters to show the detail of the damage.

[​IMG]

Once I was home from work I stared on the case again. This next pic should explain why the cut in the last update was pretty rough. Because it didn’t matter as you weren’t going to see it anyway. The rocks act as the boarder for the window. I think its quiet effective.

[​IMG]

That’s all for now. Should be another update tomorrow providing I get round to writing something up.

13 days to go now… much to do in the coming days. Thanks for looking guys, as always comments are appreciated :D

15. CursedSoul

CursedSoul What's a Dremel?

I just registered myself to post on your worklog 'cause it's awsome man, just sweet, keep that good work :clap: :clap: :clap:

May I sugest something? Maybe some horizontal rusty iron bars on those windows? some broken, like on that bunker in the beggining of FarCry.

16. CrazyModder

CrazyModder What's a Dremel?

At first glance you fool me, I tough it was real stone, great job modeling those. :thumb:

17. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

subscribed...but what happened to your old FarCry Logo?

18. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

The FarCry logo is supposed to look like that, Claas :)

Looks really cool! The water feature looks to be an interesting development.

19. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

I wonder if...because he has painted his first one...and the scratches are different...i think...

20. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Woah thanks man. Hmmm good idea on the window but I don’t think it would fit in to well now that I have gone with the rock boarder. Thanks for the idea though!

Haha thanks man its good to know my hard time consuming work paid off!

I wasn’t too happy with the paint job on the original logo and kind of broke it a little (by that I mean snapped it into a few pieces :p) and threw out. It turns out that it would have been a little bit to big anyway so its probably good.

Thanks man yeah hopefully the water feature will work out good.

Yep… as you can see a little further up I screwed up the painting. I have had a bit of time to think now and hopefully wont make the same mistakes on this one. Yeah I think the scratches might have been a little bit different on the original as they were done free hand where these were sort of traced on. So the current ones should be a little more accurate.

Thanks for the comments everyone I appreciate them.

Should be an update tomorrow night of the weekends work. Its just after 2am over here so I really cant be stuffed doing one atm :p