1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 805, its worth it...but in what sense

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 5 Jun 2006.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Got a quick question for everyone who has a view to answer.

The dual core 805, everyone knows it can be overclocked to hell and back, but is it easy to do?

Does the performance and price justify the effort to get it to work? I dont know much about o'cing, its never really caught my imagination until i've seen that chip (hell the spare rig im using now has an 2500xpm in at standard, dont hurt me), thing is, i would like to do some o'cing, i liked the look of that water cooling kit that was review a few weeks ago, that black one, cant think of the name right now, i'll edit the post when i get it.

I was thinking, that, the 805 and all the rest of the stuff, you could have a nice speedy comp for less than the 955 XE processor...and possibly less than the FX62, so financially its well worth it, but in terms of time and effort is it still justifiable?

what y'all think?

Adios from the deep south (errrr surrey :eyebrow: )

2. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

is the one you are thinking of the Corsair Nautilus?

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Well CPU overclocking isn't as hard as it looks, the difficult things are memory tweaking etc... The main things you change when OCing would b teh Vcore, FSB, Ram dividers and the CPU Multiplier. Just have a google for a pentium 4 Overclocking Guide, your sure to find something useful :)

-Fr4nk

4. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Oveclocking any cpu, including the 805 worth it in some respects, but you have got to be careful. If you have the right hardware to overclock it, it might go to 4ghz easily, but if not, you might not get as much out of it as you hoped, in this case though wish the cpu at rougly £85 its a total bargain

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

As jake says, what ever overclocking result you get, it's still a bargain. Even if it only does go to 3.4GHz, it's pretty damn fast. The system I've got here is running an 805 with 2GB of RAM and an X1900XTX, and it can run Quake 4 and FEAR on full settings no trouble -- and it's not even overclocked yet -- waiting for watercooling parts and a bigger case.

ch424

6. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

I have a Pentium D805 at 4.2Ghz. I found overclocking it to be a doddle, much less trouble than I had with my Athlon XP-M, which took a lot more fiddling about to find a clock speed, and voltage that was stable. Even then it would occasionally crash in some games, my D805 is rock solid at 4.2 Ghz.

I wrote more about it in another thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=113118

Also, make sure you read the Toms Hardware Guide article; there's a link to it in the other thread.

7. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i have wanted to do this ever scince the article came out
    but i fear lack of funds is stopping me!! :wallbash: :wallbash:
    would definatly go for it if i was u as the results look great
    and beating the proccesor companies at their own game sounds lyk fun :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

funds is always and issue, just need a cash cow to appear

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

And Mother-Gooser said "Just need a cash cow-eth to appear-eth" and so spoketh specofdust and said "I give ye said cash cow, in order that ye may jest and snigger", and it was so:

[​IMG]

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

I grabbed one for a laugh..OC'd it to 3.9GHz in about 3minutes ;)

Then decided I actually needed a full blooded P4 and am about to sell it ;)

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

"Full blooded P4" :eyebrow:

12. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Exactly Roto, what P4 is better than the 805@3.9GHz?

13. webchimp

An 805@4.2GHz, obviously. :D

14. kiwik

kiwik What's a Dremel?

I'd say a 930 could beat that, but that's pure guessing.

15. kempez

kempez modding again!

No you don't understand I needed the higher FSB for memory testing

16. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Drop multipliers, boost the FSB, etc. Theres nothing stoping you from "testing memory" on an 805. "Full blooded P4s" quite frankly suck.

17. webchimp

The multiplyer on a D805 is fixed at 20x, you can only adjust the FSB. You can of course lower the RAM speed, however if you want to push the memory speed to DDR2 800Mhz, 4 x 200FSB, it means that the CPU is at 4Ghz, so the CPU will run out of steam before you get the RAM much higher.

I did manage to run SuperPi at 4.4Ghz, 220FSB x 20, with the memory at 880Mhz, but I think it was pretty much on the limit; it wouldn't run SuperPi at 221FSB x 20.

18. kempez

kempez modding again!

Why? They're not too bad. For £10 more than an 805 I've got a 4.2GHz P4 that runs super PI in 28seconds - much faster than the 805

19. webchimp

That's interesting, I wonder why one P4 should be faster than 2 of them at similar speeds. I assume that SuperPi only runs on one core, is that right?

I believe that level 2 cache has a fair amount of influence on SuperPi results; Does the P4 have more then 1Mb of level 2 cache? The D805 as 1Mb per core, the the higher end D series processors have 2Mb per core.

Having said all that, I'm pleased with the dual core system, it makes a very noticeable difference in a few situations, for example the virus scanner can run without making it practically impossible to type an E-mail, browse the web etc. Previously, while the virus scanner was running, you could type half a line of text before the screen caught up with you.

20. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

QFT, the 805 is one of the best pentium chips out there and will perform simarly to the very highest end things in alot of cases