1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 could ship with PS2 jammed inside

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

hmm no backwards compatibility is very important in my opinion. Without it they are right, it wouldn't sell as well - at least at the start of production. I could see a lot of people complaining "but you can't play your old ps2 games on it" - especially xbox fanboys. As long has it doesn't push the date back further then I don't see what the problem of doing this is.

Ed

3. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

It would certainly matter to me; I've spent a fair few quid on my old games, and some of them are quite good. I have no desire to throw them all out.

4. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Yet another nail in the coffin...

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Agreed. At this point it seems like they're trying to stop the bleeding before consumers notice.

6. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

why another nail, they will get the emulation working, just with another chip - not really a big deal
    Backwards compatibility is important to me, i know i want to be able to be able to play my PS2 games for a while yet, infact - you failed to mention that the PS2 originally (and still does ?) have a chip for PS1 emulation .... so i wonder what will happen on the PS1 front

7. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Seems to me that this whole console is a botch. They seem to have come up with some ideas, thrown them into a george forman then crossed their fingers without actually taking the time to research and design the console properly.

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

if its got a PS2 chip in it.... they would include the PS1 chip use that to play PS1 games too... like the PS2 itself does.

or, the Cell processor can run the PS1 emu software fine, its just the emotion engine that its having problems doing.

i wont get one because at the moment there is no way to use my current save games on the PS3... 2 8mb memory card is alot of gaming hours to me....

9. pman

pman What's a Dremel?

Up until then I forgot the PS1 existed! :worried:

I don't think they will support the PS1.

10. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I was just about to mention the fact the ps2 had a ps1 chip inside for the backwards compatability.

I personally fail to see how dedicated hardware for the backwards compatibility is a kludge, beleive it or not a PS2 plays PS2 games phenominally well, almost like they were designed for each other...

11. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

seems all a bit rushed for me

trying to meet that november deadline may finally doom the PS3 :hehe: :hehe:
    LONG LIVE the WII and 360!!

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

and you think you wont be able to get your PS2 memory saves off - cmon man, their not going to make it backwards compatible, and not allow you to use your saves, think about it

13. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

like i said AT THE MOMENT there isnt. you get me a press release from sony saying they are doing it, and how - then i will take a second look at the PS3

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

meh... its all starting to look a bit dogey for my liking.... At this point I'm getting the Wii and I may get the PSThree when that comes out. Only problem is, I love MGS... but is one game worth spending £500 for? I think not.

Here's to the enevitable downfall of sony and the rise of Nintendo!

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And here I thought backward compatibility was one of the biggest selling points on the Wii, which everyone is raving about. I just think it's interesting that a feature that is considered really important on one console is considered unimportant on the next.

I wonder if Kaze22's head has exploded yet? :p

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Backwards compatibility is important for the first 6 months/year or so. After that, everyone who purchases a PS3 will have migrated to the new platform.

I loved the idea of playing my PS1 games on the PS2. It kept me entertained for a month or so, whilst I waited for better launch games and so on. After that I completely forgot that I even had PS1 games...

17. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Hmm.. I wonder what the replies would have been like if we scratched Sony for Microsoft, and PS3 for XBOX 360.

I bet it would have been a thread of "Pff, Microsoft are crap" instead of - "well if it makes it work...."

18. teabagger

teabagger What's a Dremel?

...because of course designing a new console from the ground up is easy. Why, I bet all the moaners on here could nock one up in an afternoon! How stupid Sony are compared to you!

Ho hum.

19. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

If this is as far as they are into finishing this thing... don't be asking Santa for one at Christmas.

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

lol problem after problem.

I wonder if this thing will actually hit the shelves by November at all.

Il buy it once the price goes down but the Nintendo Wii....thats my #2 must buy item (after the pc im saving up for that is ;) )

Tags: Add Tags