1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding cases other than Lian-Li

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stwongbad, 8 Jun 2006.

1. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Right now I have an NZXT Nemesis (basic one) and i was thinking about getting a new case and modding it problem is ...

I cant afford a Lian-Li ; dont get me wrong they look bitchin! and by the looks of many mods Ive seen the possibilitys are endless with it. but i simply cant drop 100$ - 120$ (American) on a case with my budget , does anyone know of any other cases a little less cause that extra dough or so will probally buy the other things (fans because i only have 5 120mm (3 lighted) ones and most cases cant take that much)

Bottom line , anyone know any easily moddable cases for a little less than lian-li with possibly room for 120mm fans and with a little space or should I just save up longer and get a lian-li?

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

A budget would be helpful.

3. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

You can mod any case m8
    I am modding a AOpen QF50A far from ideal I think but it is coming along okey. I like big cases just as much as most of us here but if you are a beginner at modding you don't want to "test" your skills on a 200$ case just to figure out that you can't cut side pannels nicely with a angle-grinder :wallbash: (atleast I didn't get a good result)

Your result depends on your creativity you need to adapt to what you got.
    You can also create space by removing the HHD-rack and CD-rom rack. you can also put your PSU somewhere else to create more space.

I don't know what you want to do but a simple mod would be?
    I figured out that there are no "simple"mods if you want it to be done nice and smooth.
    Look at the project logs to get come ideas.

GreetZ
    Nick

4. Stwongbad

Thats some good wisdom there hopakee I was playing around with the thought of a CMS Stacker but I realized "Do I really want to try modding that while Im still an amature?" I was thinking of also getting a relatively cheap case but Ive heard they are horrendously bad quality (thats what you get for paying 15$ for one)

Well In my opinion a side panel and a paintjob with some creative cable management "simple mod" compared to the likes of that doom3 mod or hellraiser wouldn't you say?

5. vortex 69

vortex 69 What's a Dremel?

well, i'll give you my personal experience...
    right now i have 2 cases (main PC and 2nd PC), main one costed 30 euros, 2nd one costed 15 euros, and...the 15 euros case can't even have a hard disc installed, vibrates too much due to the vibration of the disc, which makes a damned insupportable noise :duh:

the 30 euros one has 3 hard discs installed and although it vibrates it's almost negligenciable

so, personally i wouldn't even TRY to mod a really cheap case...even if it looked good, it would lack the strength to hold a PC inside :blah:

and the 120mm fans...you can always mod the case to install them :dremel:

6. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

my chieftec full tower cost 15 bucks usd, no rebate either

see my mod in my sig

it was my first mod, took 5 months, but ya its not really hard imo just takes time, btw i hate my case

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

lian li pc-7 plus II's can be found on newegg for around $90 each.. figure $105 after shipping...

there's where U bought mine and I love the thing.

8. Stwongbad

I realized that when i saw them before I posted cderalow but I dont have 90$ I paid 80$ for my NZXT nemesis (any opinions on that btw?) the point of the thread is to think of non-lian li moddable cases

Nice mod bboy but yours was on uber sale those cases cost alot more than 15$...im not looking for a spring of the moment case which happens to be on sale {you said it was out of stock anyways >_<}

My sentiments exactly vortex cheap cases are just that ; cheap cases.

So does anyone have any suggestions to other cases than Lian-li for cheap? I heard about the CM centurion but im not sure about its moddability? (is that even a word)

9. low_violet

low_violet What's a Dremel?

I am working on a mod with a Recom Backdraft. Some random Dutch case that looks a bit like an Alienware effort. 120mm fans back and front plus, hopefully, all the space I need to do the mods I am planning... Nasty sideways HDD rack but that was soon disposed of thanks to my friend Mr Power Drill...

I have a plan that I have not seen before and things look a bit tight but I like a challenge, and it only cost me 40 quid! :rock:

10. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

again all cases are moddable, the thing about cheap cases is how they function, cheap cases tend to have a hard time fitting things (like hdds and stuff) but all cases are moddable, use your imagintation, the centurion is def. moddable

11. Stwongbad

Guys I just had a brush with diaster, i was opening my case to take some pics to show you guys, horrible molex cord on some crappy side panel case fan comes loose and pzowns the computer (it was on while i did it) take me like 5 minutes to restart unplug/plug the psu/psu cables and when it comes on one cable is in the way of the fan and making a little sound so when i put my hand in there to get it and ding my finger on the spinning blade and it starts to bleed(startup..all fans are on fast)

I....i... :waah: i could've died!! :waah:. moving on though...

so heres some pics of the inside of my current case
    http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5233/p10101325dd.jpg
    http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1203/p10101377at.jpg

{Drifting off topic} sorry just lookin for suggestions >_< im kinda new at this except for a few mods on my familys computers. (not nice but...yeah)

Could I route all those if i cut a hole somewhere in the mobo tray?

Btw violet the case you have is like a Raidmax ninja or somthing in the US

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

From nicking your finger on a fan? I think that just earned you the title of Bit-tech's official drama queen :hehe:

Anyways.. if you want modding ideas, show us pics that have the entire case in the pic, and more importantly the outside. Routing wires and whatnot just takes some time and zipties... and as you don't really seem to have an idea of where you want to go with this, we won't be able to help much.

I bought a $50 Antec case for its functionality (2x 120mm fans, 5 HD bays with vibration-reducing gromets) and it's definitely got some modding potential. Now I'd question the need to mod a fileserver that sits in a desk computer cabinet, but I need something to do over the summer. Just think up really basic concepts and sketch them out on paper, see where you go with it. Better yet, buy the cheapest case you can find just to experiment with and refine your technique a bit.

13. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

heh, ever run 3 120mm delta fans at once, none of them restrained, but just sitting on the edge of a desk, then having one drop and catching it with my fingers, and worrying about the other 2 falling???

ya it made my finger bleed for a few hours...

14. Stwongbad

I may try and save up for a lian-li after some diliberation but I think i should try taking apart my current case and modding the sheit out of it before going out and modding somin else

Are delta fans those ones with like 70 somin CFM and 17Db?

15. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Deltas are the ones that sound like jet engines and blow around as much air too ;)

16. Mr.ME

Mr.ME Minimodder

yes, have a few of those and also the 40mm whide version (wfb1212he), those wil kill you :D

highspeedfans are alot of fun without the fingerguards :p
    must be lucky, didnt cut my finger on it while it was runnig

on topic, just buy yourself a el-cheapo case for about 30 bucks, if you mess it up it wont be that mutch of a disaster.
    practice makes perfect

17. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya deltas are the big ass fans that push 130cfm

anyways, 30 bucks can get a good case that works good too

how bout one of those skyhawk cases? they are aluminum, less than 30 bucks, and look like the smaller lian lis, but newegg doesnt have those anymore (they have different lookin skyhawks, not the lian li ones)

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The big 120mm deltas will move closer to 200 CFM...

For $50 US, you can get a Cooler Master Centurion 5 off Newegg. It's a fairly good looking case, with plenty of potential.

Or, you could get one of these, redo the front, and convince people you've got a black macintosh. (Especially if you were to get OSX86 running on it...)

Newegg has lots of cases with 120mm mounts for less than $50.

19. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

the 120's i have are 130 i guess theres different kinds

20. Stwongbad

hell I looked up those delta fans...140CFM!?!? but 60DBA...>.> doesnt cut it for me I love the CFM...but i think the dba is too much I had a fan at like 93CFM and 40 Dba and it was loud for me and they seem reeeally loud (twice as loud ><)

I looked for skyhawk and they were like 70$ i was thinking of this case though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811180049 but i donno if i can take off that yellow stuff cause i wanna paint the case.